Re: [ppgbiglist] 41 HP 4-stroke Rotary engine only 33lbs...

  • Andrew Ekstrom
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30 9:10 PM
      Problem is that its like 6500.00 for the motor with the accessories.

      Maybe if it comes down to half that....

      Later

      Andy

      Scott Patton <cybek92@...> wrote: Here is an amazing little Wankel engine that I wish someone would R & D
      for ppg's.

      kart website
      http://www.karting1.co.uk/wankel-kart-test.htm

      Engine website
      http://www.nova-racing.com/nova_gb/index.htm

    • Dana Hague
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2007
        At 11:16 PM 4/30/2007, Scott Patton wrote:

        >Here is an amazing little Wankel engine that I wish someone would R & D
        >for ppg's...

        Yes, but at over $5000 for the engine I don't think the world will be
        beating a path to their door...

        -Dana
      • JIM DOYLE
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2007
          For 8 grand you could have one hell of an engine.
          That's twice what a 40hp two stroke goes for though.
          1/2 the weight. Always trade offs. If I had an extra
          8k just laying around I'd put one on my trike in a
          heartbeat. For backpacks it would rival the Monster
          for weight but the Hp would be awesome.

          Jim

          --- Scott Patton <cybek92@...> wrote:

          > Here is an amazing little Wankel engine that I wish
          > someone would R & D
          > for ppg's.
          >
          > kart website
          > http://www.karting1.co.uk/wankel-kart-test.htm
          >
          > Engine website
          > http://www.nova-racing.com/nova_gb/index.htm

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Scott Patton
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2007
            Yikes! Thats an arm and a leg. I bet they come down in price
            eventually if they want to stay in business.

          • flyhighman@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2007
              You perhaps forgot some minor details and all money aside. There is a cooling system radiator that is not in that advertised weight, hoses, water pump, and coolant which should add an easy 10 to 15 lbs. Then the motor mounts and there is another 5 pound minimum for an engine of this power. Hey how about the electric starter, brackets and battery because you are not going to hand start this sucker easily…lets give that a 15 lbs easily.

              Dang it we forgot the exhaust pipe and brackets for this puppy…another 15lbs on a weight watchers diet too boot. What did we forget…maybe we need that re-drive system and that my fiend is going to set you back an easy 15lbs? We shall even forgo the fuel pump and enough gas to keep this motor happy for one hour. What the heck two gallons for the fun of it and there’s 14 lbs easy peasy. So even before you decide to mount this engine to your frame you are already flying at PagoJet weight plus…about 107lbs conservatively. It would make an appealing PPC engine perhaps, BUT even then it would be a fuel guzzler.

              Scott Travers

              Yikes! Thats an arm and a leg. I bet they come down in price
              eventually if they want to stay in business.

              --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, Dana Hague <d-m-hague@...> wrote:

              > At 11:16 PM 4/30/2007, Scott Patton wrote:
              >
              > >Here is an amazing little Wankel engine that I wish someone would R
              & D
              > >for ppg's...
              >
              > Yes, but at over $5000 for the engine I don't think the world will be
              > beating a path to their door...
              >
              > -Dana
              > --
              > --
              > My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.

            • Miller, Beery W.
              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2007
                I thought I just read that the guy planning on flying over Mt. Everest was using a Wankel engine. Something like 100 hp, footlaunch setup.

                Beery

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2007
                  A PPG trike maybe, but may be a little small for a
                  PPC.
                  I'm curious about the fuel consumption of a Wankel as
                  opposed to a 2stroke. Mine burns around 2-3 gal./hr
                  depending on what I'm doing. It weighs in around 100
                  lbs. with pipe and redrive. For now just pull start.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2007
                    Sorry, not 8k. I converted from British Pounds not
                    Euros. Still pricey.

                    Jim

                    --- JIM DOYLE <terjim@...> wrote:

                    > For 8 grand you could have one hell of an engine.
                    > That's twice what a 40hp two stroke goes for though.
                    >
                    > 1/2 the weight. Always trade offs. If I had an
                    > extra
                    > 8k just laying around I'd put one on my trike in a
                    > heartbeat. For backpacks it would rival the Monster
                    > for weight but the Hp would be awesome.
                    >
                    > Jim
                    >

                    > --- Scott Patton <cybek92@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Here is an amazing little Wankel engine that I
                    > wish
                    > > someone would R & D
                    > > for ppg's.
                    > >
                    > > kart website
                    > > http://www.karting1.co.uk/wankel-kart-test.htm
                    > >
                    > > Engine website
                    > > http://www.nova-racing.com/nova_gb/index.htm

                    > protection around
                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Ron Nolan
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2007
                      --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Patton" <cybek92@...> wrote:

                      > Yikes! Thats an arm and a leg. I bet they come down in price
                      > eventually if they want to stay in business.

                      These have been in use for some time on high end sailplanes.

                      Ron
                    • franklasino
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2007
                        8 grand? What are you talking about?

                        The price with with water cooler, water pump, water tubes w/o 19% VAT
                        is 3,256.00 EUR = 4,436.20 USD

                        Add on a frame, a tank and a redrive and you're all-set!

                        Let it be 6K total...but not 8.

                        F.L.

                        --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, JIM DOYLE <terjim@...> wrote:

                        > For 8 grand you could have one hell of an engine.
                        > That's twice what a 40hp two stroke goes for though.
                        > 1/2 the weight. Always trade offs. If I had an extra
                        > 8k just laying around I'd put one on my trike in a
                        > heartbeat. For backpacks it would rival the Monster
                        > for weight but the Hp would be awesome.
                        >
                        > Jim
                        >

                        > --- Scott Patton <cybek92@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Here is an amazing little Wankel engine that I wish
                        > > someone would R & D
                        > > for ppg's.
                        > >
                        > > kart website
                        > > http://www.karting1.co.uk/wankel-kart-test.htm
                        > >
                        > > Engine website
                        > > http://www.nova-racing.com/nova_gb/index.htm

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Gerry
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 1, 2007
                          A Wankel has 3 power ignition or "strokes" per shaft revolution, that is
                          why they consume more fuel, produce more power (and heat) as compared
                          with a 4-stroke. In addition, the fuel mix needs to be rich and so its
                          exhaust emisions are nasty.

                          Still, comparing a -say- 24hp Wankel with a 24hp two-stroke, the Wankel
                          is supposed to be more fuel eficient. Don't know the proportion though.

                          Gerry
                        • Ed Gray
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 1, 2007
                            just thought this little gem might interest any 4 stroke
                            enthusiasts weight 54lbs price $us 3000 can be de-tuned to run on petrol

                            link to site is

                            http://www.xtremespeedwayaction.com/codyparts/codyparts8.htm

                          • flyhighman@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 1, 2007
                              Yea good old Speedway motor racing!!!

                              Jawa and JAP both are specialized Speedway engines.
                              http://www.jawa.cz/support/engine_884_10_009_r2.pdf

                              http://www.500race.org/Marques/JAP.htm

                              Scott