Re: Paramotor Rentals in Cancun

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
      Chris,
      I wasn't suggesting flying from the island, and he would not be
      training, only renting to experienced pilots. My friend keeps his
      sailboats there, but also has business in Cancun. As you know the
      island is less than 20 minutes from Cancun by ferry. Before he
      invests a lot of time looking for a place to fly, he just wanted to
      find out if their was any interest.
      Matt

      --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, chris reilly <reillycm2000@...>
      wrote:

      > Matt
      > Isle Mujeres is an awful windy place to train someone with
      absolutely no room for error.
      > I know as i have flown on the island. and even with the pista in
      the center the winds come across the island not down the runway.
      Risky very risky
      > Chris
      >
      > Matt <arizonaonline@...> wrote:
      > Michel,
      > Mexico where my friend owns an adventure travel company including
      > two catamaran sailboats on Isla Mujeres. He is exploring renting
      > paramotors and posed many of the same questions that you asked.
      >
      > This may have been covered in the replies, I haven't had the time
      > read all of them (with so many replies it looks like there must be
      > some interest), but one question I had was how do you confirm that
      > the renter has received proper training? While in Cancun I
      received
      > my Open Water Scuba Diving Certification, and learned that the
      PADI
      > Certification shows my training level and could be used to rent
      > tanks and equipment all over the world.
      >
      > Although our sport has many outstanding trainers, we do not have a
      > standardized training curriculum. Jeff's books/videos would be a
      > good base for a course. Some type of a certification course
      similar
      > to scuba would allow new students to know that they are being
      > trained in acceptable practices, and rental companies could verify
      > person's level of training. Of course this would be strictly
      > voluntary as you should be able to kill yourself anyway that you
      > please.
      > Matt

    • JIM DOYLE
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
        I don't have an official USPPA certification. Does that mean I couldn't rent equipment? There are too many pilots out there who don't have the paper to back up their abilities. Just a thought.
        Jim

        Gerry <pedey1@...> wrote:
        USPPA certification should do nicely.

        Gerry

        --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <arizonaonline@...> wrote:
        > [...] but one question I had was how do you confirm that
        > the renter has received proper training?

      • imasuper0308
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
          Yes all pilots should get their USPPA certification just so they
          have it. You can get it on ebay or buy.com I believe. If you want
          to learn how to really fly a paraglider though you might want to
          learn from paraglider pilots. ALL of the best ones in the us are
          USHPA rated. Of course if you only fly a motor and leave your
          paraglider at home then who needs to know anything about
          paragliding. Over rated really. Oh wait!! I'm a USHPA pilot, all
          of the above has to be untrue becasue I'm just bashing a competitor.

          --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, JIM DOYLE <terjim@...> wrote:

          > I don't have an official USPPA certification. Does that mean I
          couldn't rent equipment? There are too many pilots out there who
          don't have the paper to back up their abilities. Just a thought.
          > Jim
          >
          > Gerry <pedey1@...> wrote:
          > USPPA certification should do nicely.
          >
          > Gerry
          >
          > --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <arizonaonline@> wrote:
          > > [...] but one question I had was how do you confirm that
          > > the renter has received proper training?

        • Dane & Freda Lance
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
            Evidently we can only fly a PPG competently if we are one of the best,
            and only if we are a USHPA rated pilot. All else need not apply..<rolls
            eyes>

            --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>

          • d-m-hague@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
              From: "Dane & Freda Lance" <edlance@...>

              > Evidently we can only fly a PPG competently if we are one of the best,
              > and only if we are a USHPA rated pilot. All else need not apply..<rolls
              > eyes>

              Absolutely, and nobody should ever fly a powered GA aircraft unless they learn to fly a sailplane first. Not sure where that leaves helicopter pilots... :)

              And of course nobody's *ever* signed off a USHGA rating card for a buddy who didn't deserve it...

              -Dana
            • mario mohl
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                Ahhh, that eye rolling betrays you!
                A clear sign of a satan follower emulating the dark lord.

                ;)

                Evidently we can only fly a PPG competently if we are one of the best,
                and only if we are a USHPA rated pilot. All else need not apply..<rolls
                eyes>

                Yes all pilots should get their USPPA certification just so they
                have it. You can get it on ebay or buy.com I believe. If you want
                to learn how to really fly a paraglider though you might want to
                learn from paraglider pilots. ALL of the best ones in the us are
                USHPA rated. Of course if you only fly a motor and leave your
                paraglider at home then who needs to know anything about
                paragliding. Over rated really. Oh wait!! I'm a USHPA pilot, all
                of the above has to be untrue becasue I'm just bashing a competitor.

                --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>
                ups.com, JIM DOYLE <terjim@...> wrote:

                > I don't have an official USPPA certification. Does that mean I
                couldn't rent equipment? There are too many pilots out there who
                don't have the paper to back up their abilities. Just a thought.
                > Jim
                >
                > Gerry <pedey1@...> wrote:
                > USPPA certification should do nicely.
                >
                > Gerry
                >
                > --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>
                ups.com, "Matt" <arizonaonline@> wrote:
                > > [...] but one question I had was how do you confirm that
                > > the renter has received proper training?

                PPG Questions? See the PPG Frequently Asked Questions at http://tinyurl.com/zd8s8
                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Dane & Freda Lance
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                  Autogyros, of course! Well, as close to a "heli glider" as we can get
                  anyway.lol.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Dana, as far as prereqs for helicopters;
                    autogyros and ornithopters first ;)
                    Jim

                    From: "Dane & Freda Lance" <edlance@...>

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                      D'OH!!

                      I thought that only counted if I spun my head around on my shoulders..

                      A clear sign of a satan follower emulating the dark lord.

                      ;)

                      Evidently we can only fly a PPG competently if we are one of the best,
                      and only if we are a USHPA rated pilot. All else need not apply..<rolls
                      eyes>

                      Yes all pilots should get their USPPA certification just so they
                      have it. You can get it on ebay or buy.com I believe. If you want
                      to learn how to really fly a paraglider though you might want to
                      learn from paraglider pilots. ALL of the best ones in the us are
                      USHPA rated. Of course if you only fly a motor and leave your
                      paraglider at home then who needs to know anything about
                      paragliding. Over rated really. Oh wait!! I'm a USHPA pilot, all
                      of the above has to be untrue becasue I'm just bashing a competitor.

                      --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>
                      ups.com, JIM DOYLE <terjim@...> wrote:

                      > I don't have an official USPPA certification. Does that mean I
                      couldn't rent equipment? There are too many pilots out there who
                      don't have the paper to back up their abilities. Just a thought.
                      > Jim
                      >
                      > Gerry <pedey1@...> wrote:
                      > USPPA certification should do nicely.
                      >
                      > Gerry
                      >
                      > --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>
                      ups.com, "Matt" <arizonaonline@> wrote:
                      > > [...] but one question I had was how do you confirm that
                      > > the renter has received proper training?

                      PPG Questions? See the PPG Frequently Asked Questions at http://tinyurl.
                      <http://tinyurl.com/zd8s8> com/zd8s8
                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • d-m-hague@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                        From: "Dane & Freda Lance" <edlance@...>
                        > Autogyros, of course! Well, as close to a "heli glider" as we can get
                        > anyway.lol.

                        Actually, in the old days of the Bensen Gyrocopter, they had a "gyro glider"... you were supposed to teach yourself to fly it by towing it behind a car, only after which you bolted the engine on.

                        -Dana
                      • Dane & Freda Lance
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                          Ouch.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                            Simple matter of degree.......

                            I thought that only counted if I spun my head around on my shoulders..

                            A clear sign of a satan follower emulating the dark lord.

                            ;)

                            Evidently we can only fly a PPG competently if we are one of the best,
                            and only if we are a USHPA rated pilot. All else need not apply..<rolls
                            eyes>

                            Yes all pilots should get their USPPA certification just so they
                            have it. You can get it on ebay or buy.com I believe. If you want
                            to learn how to really fly a paraglider though you might want to
                            learn from paraglider pilots. ALL of the best ones in the us are
                            USHPA rated. Of course if you only fly a motor and leave your
                            paraglider at home then who needs to know anything about
                            paragliding. Over rated really. Oh wait!! I'm a USHPA pilot, all
                            of the above has to be untrue becasue I'm just bashing a competitor.

                            --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>
                            ups.com, JIM DOYLE <terjim@...> wrote:

                            > I don't have an official USPPA certification. Does that mean I
                            couldn't rent equipment? There are too many pilots out there who
                            don't have the paper to back up their abilities. Just a thought.
                            > Jim
                            >
                            > Gerry <pedey1@...> wrote:
                            > USPPA certification should do nicely.
                            >
                            > Gerry
                            >
                            > --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>
                            ups.com, "Matt" <arizonaonline@> wrote:
                            > > [...] but one question I had was how do you confirm that
                            > > the renter has received proper training?

                            PPG Questions? See the PPG Frequently Asked Questions at http://tinyurl.
                            <http://tinyurl.com/zd8s8> com/zd8s8
                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            PPG Questions? See the PPG Frequently Asked Questions at http://tinyurl.com/zd8s8
                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Robert Phillips
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                              Did you have to drive and fly all by your self.

                              Dane & Freda Lance <edlance@...> wrote: Ouch.

                              > Autogyros, of course! Well, as close to a "heli glider" as we can get
                              > anyway.lol.

                              Actually, in the old days of the Bensen Gyrocopter, they had a "gyro
                              glider"... you were supposed to teach yourself to fly it by towing it
                              behind a car, only after which you bolted the engine on.

                              -Dana

                            • chris reilly
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                                Matt
                                I am not sure where he could fly except from the beach north of cancun and the auto ferry.
                                and it is still iffy. he would need to become associated with the tourist bureau

                                wrote:

                                > Matt
                                > Isle Mujeres is an awful windy place to train someone with
                                absolutely no room for error.
                                > I know as i have flown on the island. and even with the pista in
                                the center the winds come across the island not down the runway.
                                Risky very risky
                                > Chris
                                >
                                > Matt <arizonaonline@...> wrote:
                                > Michel,
                                > Mexico where my friend owns an adventure travel company including
                                > two catamaran sailboats on Isla Mujeres. He is exploring renting
                                > paramotors and posed many of the same questions that you asked.
                                >
                                > This may have been covered in the replies, I haven't had the time
                                > read all of them (with so many replies it looks like there must be
                                > some interest), but one question I had was how do you confirm that
                                > the renter has received proper training? While in Cancun I
                                received
                                > my Open Water Scuba Diving Certification, and learned that the
                                PADI
                                > Certification shows my training level and could be used to rent
                                > tanks and equipment all over the world.
                                >
                                > Although our sport has many outstanding trainers, we do not have a
                                > standardized training curriculum. Jeff's books/videos would be a
                                > good base for a course. Some type of a certification course
                                similar
                                > to scuba would allow new students to know that they are being
                                > trained in acceptable practices, and rental companies could verify
                                > person's level of training. Of course this would be strictly
                                > voluntary as you should be able to kill yourself anyway that you
                                > please.
                                > Matt

                              • Dane & Freda Lance
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                                  Yes, 360 degrees if I try really hard.heh

                                  I thought that only counted if I spun my head around on my shoulders..

                                  A clear sign of a satan follower emulating the dark lord.

                                  ;)

                                  Evidently we can only fly a PPG competently if we are one of the best,
                                  and only if we are a USHPA rated pilot. All else need not apply..<rolls
                                  eyes>

                                  Yes all pilots should get their USPPA certification just so they
                                  have it. You can get it on ebay or buy.com I believe. If you want
                                  to learn how to really fly a paraglider though you might want to
                                  learn from paraglider pilots. ALL of the best ones in the us are
                                  USHPA rated. Of course if you only fly a motor and leave your
                                  paraglider at home then who needs to know anything about
                                  paragliding. Over rated really. Oh wait!! I'm a USHPA pilot, all
                                  of the above has to be untrue becasue I'm just bashing a competitor.

                                  --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  ups.com, JIM DOYLE <terjim@...> wrote:

                                  > I don't have an official USPPA certification. Does that mean I
                                  couldn't rent equipment? There are too many pilots out there who
                                  don't have the paper to back up their abilities. Just a thought.
                                  > Jim
                                  >
                                  > Gerry <pedey1@...> wrote:
                                  > USPPA certification should do nicely.
                                  >
                                  > Gerry
                                  >
                                  > --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogro <mailto:ppgbiglist%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  ups.com, "Matt" <arizonaonline@> wrote:
                                  > > [...] but one question I had was how do you confirm that
                                  > > the renter has received proper training?

                                  PPG Questions? See the PPG Frequently Asked Questions at http://tinyurl.
                                  <http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/zd8s8> com/zd8s8> com/zd8s8
                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                                    There are free flight pilots who surf the hotels there, also the cliffs by Tulum.
                                    Other than that it's all motor and pretty much all over the place.

                                    Mario

                                    wrote:

                                    > Matt
                                    > Isle Mujeres is an awful windy place to train someone with
                                    absolutely no room for error.
                                    > I know as i have flown on the island. and even with the pista in
                                    the center the winds come across the island not down the runway.
                                    Risky very risky
                                    > Chris
                                    >
                                    > Matt <arizonaonline@...> wrote:
                                    > Michel,
                                    > Mexico where my friend owns an adventure travel company including
                                    > two catamaran sailboats on Isla Mujeres. He is exploring renting
                                    > paramotors and posed many of the same questions that you asked.
                                    >
                                    > This may have been covered in the replies, I haven't had the time
                                    > read all of them (with so many replies it looks like there must be
                                    > some interest), but one question I had was how do you confirm that
                                    > the renter has received proper training? While in Cancun I
                                    received
                                    > my Open Water Scuba Diving Certification, and learned that the
                                    PADI
                                    > Certification shows my training level and could be used to rent
                                    > tanks and equipment all over the world.
                                    >
                                    > Although our sport has many outstanding trainers, we do not have a
                                    > standardized training curriculum. Jeff's books/videos would be a
                                    > good base for a course. Some type of a certification course
                                    similar
                                    > to scuba would allow new students to know that they are being
                                    > trained in acceptable practices, and rental companies could verify
                                    > person's level of training. Of course this would be strictly
                                    > voluntary as you should be able to kill yourself anyway that you
                                    > please.
                                    > Matt

                                  • Richard L.
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                                      --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, d-m-hague@... wrote:

                                      > From: "Dane & Freda Lance" <edlance@...>
                                      > > Autogyros, of course! Well, as close to a "heli glider" as we
                                      can get
                                      > > anyway.lol.
                                      >
                                      > Actually, in the old days of the Bensen Gyrocopter, they had
                                      a "gyro glider"... you were supposed to teach yourself to fly it by
                                      towing it behind a car, only after which you bolted the engine on.

                                      > -Dana

                                      Right on, I have a polaroid pix around here somewhere taken out the
                                      back hatch of our VW bus by my father as my wife towed me down the
                                      dragstrip prior to adding the motor to N48202, missed her chance to
                                      brake hard and send me over the top,lol.

                                      Richard Lozier