Re: Spark plug

  • fly2live2fly
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
      Bill,

      I have had a similar problem on my Simonini and used a squirt of WD40
      up the cap before flying, but I think I'm going to try the flat washer
      type fixture, crimped onto the end of the HT lead. This fits over the
      plug threads and then held on with a nut and locknut. If you have been
      using a supressor type cap, your radio may suffer from 'noise'.

      Steve Moses

      --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kerr" <billgkerr@g...> wrote:

      > Help please!
      > Two of us have had similar problems recently.
      > The spark plug and the cap have suffered from arcing, corrosion, and
      > lack of contact. One cap (FB Solo) was connected directly on to the
      > threads of the plug, the other (FB Simo) had the 'nut' on top of the
      > plug.
      > Is there something, like copperslip maybe, that would help maintain
      > contact?
      > We have replaced plug and cap in both cases and the problem has gone.
      > Bill

    • Ed
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
        Ah, leaving your English buddies out in the cold again Bill :o)

        How many hours running on the problem machines Bill? Maybe more regular
        replacement is the simple answer.

        Incidentally the aluminium 'nut' shouldn't be used as they wear rapidly
        in high vibration environments. The wear results in a fine aluminium
        dust which can produce the arcing (down the outside of the plug) that
        you describe.

        Ed

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
          Ed,
          The Simo has only a few hours - maybe 6 or 8. The Solo considerably more.
          Depending on the cap you use, you have no option but to use the nut or not
          to use it...
          In my case the cap supplied by FB with the metal shroud, requires no nut.
          The spring bar that is meant to grip on the threads had burnt into the
          threads by arcing, but the rest of the brass holder was burnt away until
          there was no grip left.
          I think Steve's agricultural (!) solution appeals to me.

          --
          <'{{{>< Bill Kerr
          S c o t l a n d

        • Ed
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
            How many is considerably more? Not too surprised with the Simo, those
            ally 'nuts' cause problems.

            On 02/12/05, Ed <ed@...> wrote:

            > Ah, leaving your English buddies out in the cold again Bill :o)
            >
            > How many hours running on the problem machines Bill? Maybe more
            > regular replacement is the simple answer.
            >
            > Incidentally the aluminium 'nut' shouldn't be used as they wear
            > rapidly in high vibration environments. The wear results in a fine
            > aluminium dust which can produce the arcing (down the outside of the
            > plug) that you describe.
            >
            > Ed

          • Bill Kerr
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
              The Solo may have done about 45 - 50 hours.
              How many hours does a car do, and how often do you have that sort of
              problem?
              (never if it is a Diesel!)
              Bill

              On 02/12/05, Ed <ed@...> wrote:

              > How many is considerably more? Not too surprised with the Simo, those
              > ally 'nuts' cause problems.

            • Ed
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
                How many two stroke cars are there these days??

                Ed

                On 02/12/05, Ed <ed@...> wrote:

                > How many is considerably more? Not too surprised with the Simo, those

                > ally 'nuts' cause problems.

              • Bill Kerr
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
                  But you would think that sparking twice as often, they would last
                  approximately half as long......

                  --
                  <'{{{>< Bill Kerr
                  S c o t l a n d

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Also add burning oil into that sparking twice as often, and you`d think
                    they`d last LESS then half as long... What`s the differance in combustion
                    chamber temps between the 2 differant motor styles ??? Anyone ???

                  • Bill Kerr
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
                      How much of the oil is burned, and how much is just spat out?

                      Anyway, it's not the inside of the plug that had the problem. It is the
                      connection to the plug lead that corroded.

                      Bill

                      --
                      <'{{{>< Bill Kerr
                      S c o t l a n d

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
                        Note the following old karting "trick" (Mother Alex's favorite word). Spark plug tip resonance on some engines is quite high. Utilizing a light spring through a small plastic tube (and/or fuel hose), drill a small hole on each side of two opposite cylinder head fins. Install the spring ends into each hole and insert the spring in the plastic tube across the plug cap. The spring should not be "door closer" tention but resistant enough to keep the plug cap firmly in place. This is of paramount importance if your engine is mounted upside down. The spring tension across the cap prevents high-end, RPM plug resonance and keeps the plug cap firmly seated against the plug tip. You can use conductive grease on the plug cap tip to prevent corrosion and prevent arcing. 3M and other manufactures have this available.

                        Sorry for late email responses to the those of you trying to contact me.

                        Scott Travers

                      • JIM DOYLE
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 4, 2005
                          On my Hirth F-33 mounted upside down on my Mini-monster I drilled a small hole in one of the fins on each side of the head. I then heated up a piece of 1/16 polycarbonate plastic about 1 1/2 inches wide and about 4 inches long and bent it into a W shape.( I have 2 plugs) I then drilled a small hole at the tops of the W to allow for the safety wire which I threaded through the holes in the fins. Twisted the safety wire just to snug and my pop off problem is gone. This could be done with one V shaped piece as well. Easy to cut off and remove and remount. Jim

                          flyhighman@... wrote: Note the following old karting "trick" (Mother Alex's favorite word). Spark plug tip resonance on some engines is quite high. Utilizing a light spring through a small plastic tube (and/or fuel hose), drill a small hole on each side of two opposite cylinder head fins. Install the spring ends into each hole and insert the spring in the plastic tube across the plug cap. The spring should not be "door closer" tention but resistant enough to keep the plug cap firmly in place. This is of paramount importance if your engine is mounted upside down. The spring tension across the cap prevents high-end, RPM plug resonance and keeps the plug cap firmly seated against the plug tip. You can use conductive grease on the plug cap tip to prevent corrosion and prevent arcing. 3M and other manufactures have this available.