UK PPG Fatality - Paul Kilburn

  • beery_asst
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2017

      I've got an initial report Paul Kilburn of Manchester Paragliders in the UK was involved in a fatal paramotor incident this past weekend.  I do not have any further details.  If anyone can provide some details or a link to the incident, it would be appreciated.

      Beery

    • gregwfox
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2017
      • rammmair
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 21, 2017
          Not sure what clues this article is referring to. This is the reason there is so little to learn from PPG accidents. No real information. Was the wind bad, did he have a record of dangerous flying? is there anything pointing to a cause? Something happened. Will we ever learn anything about why he crashed? Probably not. So we learn absolutely nothing. Meanwhile we may be doing something this accident could warn us about, but we will just keep doing it. Until we read about another tragedy.
        • beery_asst
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 22, 2017
            When accidents happen in the UK, there is very little ever initially reported unless there are a number of witnesses that discuss their thoughts.  In the past week, there was finally the "official" report after an investigation lasting almost a year of another UK pilot.  About the only thing I could surmise was "failure to control the glider".

            Here in the US, we seem to be almost as limited except the newspapers and tv stations will go a bit further in their reporting if they find someone to talk too.

            Unfortunately, this is a sport with no inflight recorders and very few witnesses.

            Beery
          • <tadroppa@...>
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2017

              Yes, While I would like more information on such matters I continue to be glad that the government is not becoming intrusive, Bureaucratic

               and regulatory for us fliers. Remember it’s not the governments job to keep us safe or provide (or take away) everything we need. Only God has that ability anyway. There are so many who will never understand why anyone would risk flying anyway and to call for more scrutiny would almost certainly curtail our freedoms in this area.

              Fly Safe, Live Long and Prepare to meet your maker someday. “No one gets out of this world alive!!!”

              Tim

              Sent from Mail for Windows 10

            • Cloud Hoppers
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 24, 2017
                Hi Guys ... just to let U know ... approx 3 to 400 of us attended Paul's cremation on Friday ...
                It was a lovely tribute to a well respected / much loved member of our UK paramotor community.
                Not much else is known as to how/why he crashed. I don't even know if he had a helmet video camera on?.
                The BHPA is investigating ... and ... as u already said, it may be quite some time before they give their findings?
                Fly Safe
                Have a lovely Christmas guys
                Brian 'Turbo' Tunnard
                (The Cloud Hoppers Paramotor Club)