Re: [ppgbiglist] Old, retired, and not used wings....

  • Mark Zinkel
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
      You can always turn an old wing into a ton of wind socks. You would need
      someone skilled at working with our kind of fabric. Perhaps you could work
      out a deal with Michelle Danielle.

      Mark Zinkel

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM, p40whk <jeffschaber@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > What do you guys do with End of Life wings?
      >
      > I'm looking to make some wind-socks and rather than buy new material,
      > thought I could use End of Life wings if there is some availability. There
      > should be a few of you guys out there that have wings that you'd no longer
      > fly and don't use for kiting. I haven't contacted any manufacturers yet but
      > thought I'd try here first.
      >
      > I like to tinker with my welder and have been known to sew items for
      > myself so I thought I could make some nice unique wind-socks as a side
      > hobby.
      >
      > If any of you have any old wings you'd be willing to donate or sell for a
      > nominal fee I would be interested in obtaining those from you.

    • p40whk
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
        Thanks for the suggestions! Beery, completely understand but I was thinking there had to be some wings out there that aren't even acceptable for kiting.

        Mark, who is Michelle Danielle? I'm not sure what skills you need to work with wing fabric other than the right kind of stitch and needle, can you elaborate?

        I was thinking about reaching out to some of the manufacturers to see if I could work something out.

        My idea of a wind sock is your typical hoop and tube streamer sock that you can get anywhere but more along the lines of a weather vane or kinetic sculpture. I like to play with my welder but haven't tried marrying metal and fabric. I'll need some kind of source if I intend to make more than a few of these.

        Thanks

        --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, Mark Zinkel <dovesmagic@...> wrote:

        > You can always turn an old wing into a ton of wind socks. You would need
        > someone skilled at working with our kind of fabric. Perhaps you could work
        > out a deal with Michelle Danielle.
        >
        > Mark Zinkel
        >

        > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM, p40whk <jeffschaber@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > What do you guys do with End of Life wings?
        > >
        > > I'm looking to make some wind-socks and rather than buy new material,
        > > thought I could use End of Life wings if there is some availability. There
        > > should be a few of you guys out there that have wings that you'd no longer
        > > fly and don't use for kiting. I haven't contacted any manufacturers yet but
        > > thought I'd try here first.
        > >
        > > I like to tinker with my welder and have been known to sew items for
        > > myself so I thought I could make some nice unique wind-socks as a side
        > > hobby.
        > >
        > > If any of you have any old wings you'd be willing to donate or sell for a
        > > nominal fee I would be interested in obtaining those from you.

      • Rick Cavallaro
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
          I'd be up for making wind socks out of used wings at the TechShop. Anyone want
          to donate a rag for me to try it on?

          Rick C.

          > You can always turn an old wing into a ton of wind socks. You would need
          > someone skilled at working with our kind of fabric. Perhaps you could work
          > out a deal with Michelle Danielle.
          >
          > Mark Zinkel
          >

          > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM, p40whk <jeffschaber@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > What do you guys do with End of Life wings?
          > >
          > > I'm looking to make some wind-socks and rather than buy new material,
          > > thought I could use End of Life wings if there is some availability. There
          > > should be a few of you guys out there that have wings that you'd no longer
          > > fly and don't use for kiting. I haven't contacted any manufacturers yet but
          > > thought I'd try here first.
          > >
          > > I like to tinker with my welder and have been known to sew items for
          > > myself so I thought I could make some nice unique wind-socks as a side
          > > hobby.
          > >
          > > If any of you have any old wings you'd be willing to donate or sell for a
          > > nominal fee I would be interested in obtaining those from you.

        • Bud
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
            Hi Rick,

            A mountain wing would be best, lighter weight, better in low wind. Fortunately for this but not some ppg pilots that were lied to, there are more than one or two K2's out there available to be donated.

            Bud

            --- In ppgbiglist@yahoogroups.com, Rick Cavallaro <dnrsw@...> wrote:

            > I'd be up for making wind socks out of used wings at the TechShop. Anyone want
            > to donate a rag for me to try it on?
            >
            > Rick C.

          • Beery
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
              Yeah, apparently a number of K2's are failing now as he has recently reported.

              Not bad, buy two wings, get the equivalent life span of one wing from the combined two wings, and pay three times the total overall cost on those two wings to get the life expectancy from one "normal" wing.

              Beery