Start-up applications

  • shtik
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 30, 2006
      I have a start-up application called StartRight (www.joejoesoft.com). It works
      pretty well, but I feel I do not have enough control with this app.

      Am I correct in assuming that the benefits with these start-up apps are that you
      can prevent starting of apps that you do not want to start at computer startup?
      The reason can be that these apps do not have a user-available "Do not start at
      computer start-up" 'button' or that even if you turn their starting up, next
      time you install an update, they come back.

      Would appreciate comments on the above and also suggestions for other start-up
      apps that are worth looking at.

      Hans L
    • Odd H. Sandvik
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 30, 2006
        shtik wrote:
        > I have a start-up application called StartRight (www.joejoesoft.com). It works
        > pretty well, but I feel I do not have enough control with this app.
        >
        > Am I correct in assuming that the benefits with these start-up apps are that you
        > can prevent starting of apps that you do not want to start at computer startup?

        This particular app's advantage seems to be that it makes Windows
        start up faster.

        > The reason can be that these apps do not have a user-available "Do not start at
        > computer start-up" 'button' or that even if you turn their starting up, next
        > time you install an update, they come back.
        >
        > Would appreciate comments on the above and also suggestions for other start-up
        > apps that are worth looking at.

        I would suggest you check out Winpatrol. It watches for programs adding
        themselves to your startup and alerts you so you can decide if you want
        to allow it.

        http://www.winpatrol.com/

        For straight disabling of startup items you may want to check out
        Sysinternals Autoruns:

        http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/Autoruns.mspx

        --
        Odd H. Sandvik
      • shtik
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 30, 2006
          Thanks, Odd, for reminding me of the function of speeding up the start of apps.
          I'm not sure that StartRight is doing this, since you can set the time between
          the startup of each app.

          But be that as it may, do you know how those apps that do speed up startup do
          it?

          Hans L

          PS. I will check the two apps you mentioned.

          On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:01:52 +0100
          "Odd H. Sandvik" <thechronic@...> wrote:

          > shtik wrote:
          > > I have a start-up application called StartRight (www.joejoesoft.com). It works
          > > pretty well, but I feel I do not have enough control with this app.
          > >
          > > Am I correct in assuming that the benefits with these start-up apps are that you
          > > can prevent starting of apps that you do not want to start at computer startup?
          >
          > This particular app's advantage seems to be that it makes Windows
          > start up faster.
          >
          > > The reason can be that these apps do not have a user-available "Do not start at
          > > computer start-up" 'button' or that even if you turn their starting up, next
          > > time you install an update, they come back.
          > >
          > > Would appreciate comments on the above and also suggestions for other start-up
          > > apps that are worth looking at.
          >
          > I would suggest you check out Winpatrol. It watches for programs adding
          > themselves to your startup and alerts you so you can decide if you want
          > to allow it.
          >
          > http://www.winpatrol.com/
          >
          > For straight disabling of startup items you may want to check out
          > Sysinternals Autoruns:
          >
          > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/Autoruns.mspx
          >
          > --
          > Odd H. Sandvik
          >

          > --
          > Software we currently recommend here:-
          > http://www.powertoolsforum.com
          >
          > Power Tools Software Yahoo! Group Page:-

        • Odd H. Sandvik
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 30, 2006
            shtik wrote:
            > Thanks, Odd, for reminding me of the function of speeding up the start of apps.
            > I'm not sure that StartRight is doing this, since you can set the time between
            > the startup of each app.
            >
            > But be that as it may, do you know how those apps that do speed up startup do
            > it?

            By making sure that the harddisk is finished loading one program
            before it starts on the next. This ensures that the disk head doesn't have
            to jump back and forth between different areas of the disk surface
            to load many programs simultaneously. At least that's the theory.

            Not letting the disk get too fragmented is of course also a wise
            move when it comes to boot times, as is stripping down the
            number of apps autostarting. Adobe reader, Open Office
            and MS Office are among apps who preloads parts on startup
            if you let them.

            --
            Odd H. Sandvik
          • shtik
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 30, 2006
              Interesting info, Odd. Thank you.

              On the issue of StartRight: I inactivated it, and boy, did the computer start
              up much faster! (I also has a very fast computer, Core 2 Dual E6600.) So, I
              guess that this is one "function" of StartRight that I do not need.

              I have the latest Deskeeper, which defragments "on the fly". No more scheduling.

              As to Adobe, MS Office and OpenOffice preloading parts, isn't that to make them
              start up faster when you open them?

              Hans L

              On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 04:10:09 +0100

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 30, 2006
                Well, the startup works much better and faster now. With this machine, I do not
                need StartRight -- in fact, I should not use it.

                In addition to the question in my previous message, I have one more:

                is there any app that will show or is there any way to know when the startup
                process has finished?

                Hans L

                ================

              • buralex@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 30, 2006
                  Hans:

                  > As to Adobe, MS Office and OpenOffice preloading parts, isn't that to
                  > make them
                  > start up faster when you open them?
                  True enough, (and I guess also applies to RealPlayer and iTunes that
                  also want to have something running from startup), but if during a
                  session, you never use one of them, you just wasted some cycles and some
                  RAM for no benefit. (Though if you've got enough memory that swapping
                  isn't an issue it doesn't make much difference).

                  > is there any app that will show or is there any way to know when the startup
                  > process has finished?
                  I run Process Explorer (sorted by start-date - most recent at top) and
                  you soon learn to recognize the order that things start in.

                  As I've got plenty of memory I run PCMag's StartupCopPro 2 from startup.
                  In addition to normal startup monitoring it also warns when something
                  new gets added to the autostart list.

                  One last useful one: Mike Lin's Startup CPL
                  <http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml>. It has the useful ability to
                  move entries from one startup location to another (eg. Startup-All to
                  Registry-User)
                  Its an easy way to get something to start early. (I use it to get
                  Process Explorer going as soon as possible.)

                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                • Rosalio
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                    De shtik
                    [¥]
                    > is there any app that will show or is there any way to know when the startup
                    > process has finished?
                    [¥]
                    I use a tiny application which is Tinyresmeter

                    http://perso.accelance.net/~pesoft/trm/us_trm.html

                    I have the time, CPU usage, Ram, and Pagefile as you can see

                    http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/7250/noname1ec4.jpg

                    When start up finished the CPU go down to 0 %; I like to see the clock
                    seconds because this shows to me that applications are still running,
                    otherwise seconds are stopped (something is wrong)

                    saludos
                    ------------------------------------
                    Rosalio Arroyo
                    Nuevo Laredo, Tamps.
                    (Frontera Mex-US)
                    ------------------------------------
                    http://impacto-riesgo.blogspot.com/
                    http://seg-hig.blogspot.com/

                    Correo Yahoo!
                    Regístrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.com.mx/
                  • Odd H. Sandvik
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                      shtik wrote:
                      > Well, the startup works much better and faster now. With this machine, I do not
                      > need StartRight -- in fact, I should not use it.
                      >
                      > In addition to the question in my previous message, I have one more:
                      >
                      > is there any app that will show or is there any way to know when the startup
                      > process has finished?

                      My way of knowing, is when disk activity stops.

                      > As to Adobe, MS Office and OpenOffice preloading parts, isn't that to make them
                      > start up faster when you open them?

                      Yep. You have to decide if you prefer faster app loading over longer
                      boot times.
                      On faster machines it doesn't have that much to say, I guess.

                      --
                      Odd H. Sandvik
                    • Rob Hudson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                        I write a batch file that does task kills and service net stops. Once
                        all is loaded i run that and work efficiently. That way i do not mess
                        anything up that a reboot cant fix

                        --
                        Rob Hudson
                        Business Writing Instructor
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                          Rob, sorry, but I did not understand what you said?

                          Hans L

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                            Thank you for the tip of the app and the screenshot, rosario.

                            Hans L

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                              Odd, the bootup is now so fast that I can forget everything else :-)

                              Thanks for the exchange, which inspired me to get rid of StartRight (which,
                              however, has served me well for many years).

                              Hans L

                              On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:40:55 +0100

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                                i either start services manually or let them start and kill them from
                                the command line.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                                  Aha!

                                  Hans L

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                                    For example (in my batch file):

                                    REM Stop a service
                                    net stop "automatic updates"

                                    REM Stop a service that prompts for a "Y" or "N"
                                    echo Y|net stop "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log"

                                    REM Force a process to terminate

                                    taskkill /f /im "ifrmewrk.exe"

                                  • shtik
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 31, 2006
                                      I understand.

                                      Now, my computer starts up in 2 1/2 minutes (from pressing start button to final
                                      app/service is up). which is okay for me. I could possibly cut it down a few
                                      seconds, but it is not worth it. Out of 2 GB RAm, when started, I have 1.4 GB
                                      left. I believe that is okay.

                                      My next project, which I have started, is to get all apps and some Windows stuff
                                      onto my menu system (I use TrueLaunch Bar -- http://truelaunchbar.com/ --
                                      which is fabulous.

                                      I have just schedule all I need to schedule -- Nightly image "backup" of all my
                                      drives, antivirus scanning, spyware scanning, and desktop indexing. Deskkeeper
                                      defragger works all the time, so no scheduling needed.

                                      My next project is to set up various ways for apps to check for updates --
                                      automatic for some apps, e-mail from the web site for some apps, monitoring or
                                      an update page at some websites for some apps, etc.

                                      Happy New Year!

                                      Hans L

                                      On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:10:44 -0500
                                      "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob@...> wrote:

                                      > For example (in my batch file):
                                      >
                                      > REM Stop a service
                                      > net stop "automatic updates"
                                      >
                                      > REM Stop a service that prompts for a "Y" or "N"
                                      > echo Y|net stop "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log"
                                      >
                                      > REM Force a process to terminate
                                      >
                                      > taskkill /f /im "ifrmewrk.exe"

                                      > --
                                      > Software we currently recommend here:-
                                      > http://www.powertoolsforum.com
                                      >
                                      > Power Tools Software Yahoo! Group Page:-

                                    • The serious
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 1, 2007
                                        I think avoiding too many startup programs & processes, may not only be a
                                        matter of time, but also to avoid potential conflicts between too many
                                        programs I'm guessing here, but also speaking from experience with less
                                        powerful computers and memory. I'm not a programmer, but I would think that
                                        not all programmers do (have time to) read the guidelines for standards when
                                        programming for the windows environment.. :=)

                                        I mostly use 'CodeStuff Starter' to manage my application startups, as well
                                        as fine tuning processes & services. Just because it was one of the first
                                        advanced ones some years back. Several other programs now a days deal with
                                        the same issues, and all have their own graphical take on how to display the
                                        results. There are more 'managers' hidden in your other everyday programs,
                                        but these are some of the good ones IMHO.

                                        CodeStuff Starter: <http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/>
                                        http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/

                                        SpyBot - He's even coming out with a more advanced tool, that still is in
                                        (though workable) beta (RunAlyzer)

                                        Windows Defender

                                        AVG antiSpyware

                                        Finally, here's a list of a few other good free startup management programs
                                        (that integrate with an online database), and that I've used earlier. But
                                        which, with my now much more powerful computer, I would only call upon
                                        during troubled times:

                                        Startup Inspector : http://www.windowsstartup.com/

                                        What Process? : http://www.what-process.com/