Re: CW

  • Graeme
    Message 1 of 49 , Dec 20, 2009
      OK Christos, I have done as requested. The only thing I had checked was "Break IN/Enabled". Unfortunately it is still not working, just the same result as before.

      The drive is set to 100% when I key the software by any of the methods you asked me to check. I have varied it for no change.

      73 Graeme ZL2APV

> [...]
      >
      > I'm puzzled. This is exactly what I do and it works.
      > There has to be a difference somewhere and we need to find out where.
      >
      > I tried something funny and I think I managed to see the non-output of cw audio. I checked-unchecked the 'Hi Res' in DSP Keyer setup tab and when I did that I also lost the audio and the CWX send out characters but nothing outputed.
      >
      > The cw output came back when I stoped and re-started PSDR.
      >
      > Try this.
      > Un-check all keyer options, apply and close setup, close PSDR.
      > Then start PSDR again and try the CWX.
      >
      > I hope that we can nail down the problem.
      >

      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Graeme" <gvj@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Graeme,
      > > >
      > > > Please try this for me to understand if everything else is ok and if it is just the USB to I2C to take care.
      > > >
      > > > Start PSDR and go into CWU mode in a band and frequency of your choice.
      > > > Have another receiver monitoring this frequency.
      > >
      > > Done! I used 3.54 MHz
      > >
      > > > Goto and click the CWX on the PSDR menu.
      > > > A new window will popup with keyer memories.
      > >
      > > Yes All came up OK.
      > >
      > > > The 'Key' button when pressed will start transmitting as a key-down.
      > >
      > > 1. Power-SDR-IQ goes into TX mode with MOX and MON buttons yellow.
      > > 2. The panadaptor display goes blank except for red freq line. No
      > > green output spike as is shown when in TUNE mode.
      > > 3. The Red and yellow indicator on the CW Memories & Keyboard panel
      > > are lit
      > > 4. The Softrock is keyed into TX but no audio in or RF out.
      > >
      > > > The memories 1-6 when pressed will start transmit their defined sequence.
      > >
      > > The transmit sequence starts up with the same results as above except the yellow indicator on the CW Memories & Keyboard panel flashes as each character is attempted to be sent.
      > > >
      > > > Please check them.
      > > >
      > > > Also there is a blue dot on the right lower corner.
      > > > By clicking there you are prompted with a keyboard entry for immediate keying, you need to de-select 'Pause (F1)' for keyboard to start and click the 'Keys Off' button to enable it, then by typing there it will transmit your code.
      > > >

      > > Again everything looks like the characters are being sent except that there is no audio from the soundcard and hence no RF from the Softrock. I am monitoring the output of the soundcard with an oscilloscope and the RF with a dummy load/power meter.
      > >
      > > > Please check these also and report back if that is working ok
      > > >
      > > It is starting to look like it is not a USB interface problem as the internal CW functions are not outputting the 800 Hz tone.
      > >
      > > I see that TUNE mode outputs 800 Hz (my CW tone frequency) so I deduce that the SI570 is shifted from the RX offset frequency to the carrier frequency and is mixed with the 800 HZ for the CW output signal. Unfortunately this tone is not sent in CW mode.
      > >
      > > Thank you for looking at this problem. I hope I can be of more help.

    • w4npx_2
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 26, 2009
        Chris, for what its worth, I did install the new version on my XP and did find that tuning via the I2C was flakey at first. It took me about three or four reboots of the USB before the program finally recognized the tuning and now the tuning works fine. As others have reported, the keying is flakey, both in the cwx with letter not coming out correct and with the Keyer using Iambic Break In. With Version 24, thje keying was backwards (requited me to squeeze both paddles to stop alternate keying of dots and dashes) and then would properly key only by releasing each paddle alternativel (keying by letting go of a paddle and still holding the other paddle. In the new version, the right paddle does in fact key correctly, but the left paddle does nothing at all, silent at all times.

        I am beginning to think that some of the keying problems that I am having is related to extreme cpu useage. I notice that on keying the cpu stays around 85 to 90 percent and often goes up to 100 and locks things up.

        I have a Vista computer and will play with it on the Vista computer tomorrow. The Vista computer has a duo ahtalon processor and three gig of memory, where as the XP is a very early 1.5 ghz processor with only 1.25 gig of memory.

        Best 73,

        Bob