Low RF Output

  • Kirk
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009
      I have been using Rocky sucessfully with my recently built Softrock 6.3 and would like to switch over to powersdr-iq for ssb and other features. I have been struggling trying to get configured correctly, and currently have the following configuration: RXTX 6.3, I2C USB, Dell 4600C (2.8 Pentium 4) 1G RAM. For sound I am using the internal sound card and an old Micrsoft Sound System for audio output. The RXTX is connected to the internal sound card. The problem I having only about 250mw of RF output when in tune mode when drive is 100%. Reception is working well. I can get a little more than 1W using Rocky. I can hear the transmitted signal in another receiver in the shack without an antenna connected to it. Suspect the problem is related to my audio configuration and not having enough drive. Windows mixer gain controls are maxed out and the PowerSDR Audio/Primary controls levels dont seem to have any effect. Any thoughts where to look next?

      Thanks,

      Kirk
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009
        Kirk,

        You are not mentioning what audio you got. It makes quite a difference in the way TUNE is handled.

        Either way though, the Drive slider although it shows 100 when in Rx or in MOX, it changes when you push TUNE.
        Make sure that
        Setup->Transmit->(Tune)Power is to 100 for full power at TUNE.
        Then when you push TUNE the Drive will go to 100.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk" <n4kwo@...> wrote:

        > I have been using Rocky sucessfully with my recently built Softrock 6.3 and would like to switch over to powersdr-iq for ssb and other features. I have been struggling trying to get configured correctly, and currently have the following configuration: RXTX 6.3, I2C USB, Dell 4600C (2.8 Pentium 4) 1G RAM. For sound I am using the internal sound card and an old Micrsoft Sound System for audio output. The RXTX is connected to the internal sound card. The problem I having only about 250mw of RF output when in tune mode when drive is 100%. Reception is working well. I can get a little more than 1W using Rocky. I can hear the transmitted signal in another receiver in the shack without an antenna connected to it. Suspect the problem is related to my audio configuration and not having enough drive. Windows mixer gain controls are maxed out and the PowerSDR Audio/Primary controls levels dont seem to have any effect. Any thoughts where to look next?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Kirk

      • Kirk Maskalenko
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 27, 2009
          Christos,

          Thanks for the help.  I am currently using the internal sound on the computer motherboard which is a ADI198X chipset with drivers that report the card to be a SoundMax Digital Audio. PowerSDR is configured as Unsupported card, Driver=MME, Input=SoundMax Digital Audio,Output=SoundMax Digital Audio, Mixer=None, OutputVoltage=2.2,MicGain=50,LineIn Gain=20.VAC Enabled,Input and Output going to the Microsoft Sound Mapper.

          Adjusting Output Voltage, Mic or LineIn gain in PowerSDR does not have effect. Adjusting mixer output in window volume control and wave for SoundMax DigitalAudio Playback does effect output and are set at maximum. Enabling the mixer audio/primarily did not seem to effect anything.

          I did set the tune level as you mentioned to 100 under transmit/tune/power and drive pops back to 50 on the main window.  I set the drive to 100% on tune after clicking it to get the max power.

          A possibly related problem is that when I select CWX/Key I get random dots sent.  The macros are not sent correctly either.

          Thanks,

          Kirrk

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 27, 2009
            Kirk,

            Since VAC is enabled due to the usage of an 'Unsupported' card, then the behaviour you see is normal.

            The mainstream PowerSDR is not supporting quite a few console functions when in VAC mode and one is the Tune (VOX,GATE,Tests,etc).

            I've placed though a Tune feature in PowerSDR-IQ even when VAC is enabled by pressing the TUN button twice and then you get fixed 50% of your output and that cannot be changed. The first time you press TUN the VAC is auto-disengaged and then the second time you press TUN you have the Tune signal, when you depress TUN, VAC is engaged again.
            I've placed that modification because when I had a 'Unsupported' card myself I still wanted to have TUN operating without me manually diengaging VAC.

            If you do not want to operate via this way, eg with VAC enabled and to press TUN, then you can do this:
            Disengage VAC manually and press TUN until desired, then press VAC again.
            This way the aforementioned option in the Setup for the tune power will work properly.

            PowerSDR is a very sophisticated application and it needs some hardware to work decently.

            What I propose to anyone that wants to have a proper SDR operation is to acquire either the FA-66 or the D-44 audio cards, both are more than enough for softrocks and homebrew kits and also give almost all PowerSDR available functions even on a softrock. Mic, Speaker, Tune, VOX, tests etc are working ok with these cards.
            With these cards you do not need VAC to be engaged for your normal operations and mic/speaker work properly.

            I hope these help.

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Kirk Maskalenko <n4kwo@...> wrote:

            > Christos,
            >
            > Thanks for the help.  I am currently using the internal sound on the computer motherboard which is a ADI198X chipset with drivers that report the card to be a SoundMax Digital Audio. PowerSDR is configured as Unsupported card, Driver=MME, Input=SoundMax Digital Audio,Output=SoundMax Digital Audio, Mixer=None, OutputVoltage=2.2,MicGain=50,LineIn Gain=20.VAC Enabled,Input and Output going to the Microsoft Sound Mapper.
            >
            > Adjusting Output Voltage, Mic or LineIn gain in PowerSDR does not have effect. Adjusting mixer output in window volume control and wave for SoundMax DigitalAudio Playback does effect output and are set at maximum. Enabling the mixer audio/primarily did not seem to effect anything.
            >
            > I did set the tune level as you mentioned to 100 under transmit/tune/power and drive pops back to 50 on the main window.  I set the drive to 100% on tune after clicking it to get the max power.
            >
            > A possibly related problem is that when I select CWX/Key I get random dots sent.  The macros are not sent correctly either.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Kirrk
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Graeme
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2009
              Hi Kirk,

              I got the same advice about the sound card as you from Christos. Even though it was way above my ham radio budget I followed it and bought a FA-66. I have not regretted this move and as well as the improved performance I was confident when playing around that sound card matters were not my problem. Having said that, setting up a firewire card under Linux sure exercised my grey matter.

              73 Graeme ZL2APV

              [SNIP]
              > What I propose to anyone that wants to have a proper SDR operation is to acquire either the FA-66 or the D-44 audio cards, both are more than enough for softrocks and homebrew kits and also give almost all PowerSDR available functions even on a softrock. Mic, Speaker, Tune, VOX, tests etc are working ok with these cards.
              > With these cards you do not need VAC to be engaged for your normal operations and mic/speaker work properly.
              >
              > I hope these help.

              [SNIP]
            • Kirk Maskalenko
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2009
                Thanks guys for the recommendations. Unfortunately,  I will need to update my computer before getting a Delta 44 or FA-66.  My "best" computer is a circa 2003 Pentium 4 with half height PCI slots.  I've been trying to work on the cheap but guess I will need to break down and get myself  something a little more modern in the shack that's upgradeable.

                73,

                Kirk

                I got the same advice about the sound card as you from Christos. Even though it was way above my ham radio budget I followed it and bought a FA-66. I have not regretted this move and as well as the improved performance I was confident when playing around that sound card matters were not my problem. Having said that, setting up a firewire card under Linux sure exercised my grey matter.

                73 Graeme ZL2APV

                [SNIP]

                > What I propose to anyone that wants to have a proper SDR operation is to acquire either the FA-66 or the D-44 audio cards, both are more than enough for softrocks and homebrew kits and also give almost all PowerSDR available functions even on a softrock. Mic, Speaker, Tune, VOX, tests etc are working ok with these cards.
                > With these cards you do not need VAC to be engaged for your normal operations and mic/speaker work properly.
                >
                > I hope these help.

                [SNIP]