Serial or Parallel CW?

  • sailingto
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hello all, I've recently started using PowerSDR-IQ and it's a neat program - works nicely. My question is for CW keying with paddles - can this be done via the serial port? If so, what is the wiring - will the wiring connections shown on the V6.3RXTX for paddles to Rocky work?

      OR is the parallel wiring shown in the documentation all that will work? if this wiring - are any resistors required or just wire the paddle pins direct to the pin 11 & 13 - should the ground wire be left disconnected to help prevent ground loops? OR should all 3 wires be connected? All I want is paddle input to work CW.

      I'd prefer Serial if that is possible due to the convenience of my serial ports vs the parallel port (which isn't available on my laptop).

      Thank you for a great program.

      73 de Ken H K9FV
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sailingto" <sailingtoo@...> wrote:

        > Hello all, I've recently started using PowerSDR-IQ and it's a neat program - works nicely. My question is for CW keying with paddles - can this be done via the serial port? If so, what is the wiring - will the wiring connections shown on the V6.3RXTX for paddles to Rocky work?
        >
        > OR is the parallel wiring shown in the documentation all that will work? if this wiring - are any resistors required or just wire the paddle pins direct to the pin 11 & 13 - should the ground wire be left disconnected to help prevent ground loops? OR should all 3 wires be connected? All I want is paddle input to work CW.
        >
        > I'd prefer Serial if that is possible due to the convenience of my serial ports vs the parallel port (which isn't available on my laptop).
        >
        > Thank you for a great program.
        >
        > 73 de Ken H K9FV

      • sailingto
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
          Thanks for the link - I had searched, but that post didn't turn up.... it still doesn't answer my question - "will serial work"??

          In the setup under DSP, there is a "Keyer" tab where the only options are for COM ports - no LPT available. This seems to be the CW paddle settings. Only under "Hardware" tab do I find a LPT selection - and that seems to be for the PTT settings. Does that also setup the CW input from paddles?

          Will it work with serial wiring if I set the COMM port in the Keyer tab? I can use parallel port with my desktop, but not with my notebook that has no parallel port.

          Thanks for the time and effort you have put into a GREAT program.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
            Ken,

            You are refering from what I understand to the standard PowerSDR functionality and not to the IQ extensions.
            That is ok and working properly from what I know. Just set the secondary as the COM port you want and leave primary as SDR.