Re: [powersdr-iq] VAC

  • Bob - K2KI
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 18, 2009
      Hi Jack,

      Well, I will leave the techo-speak to those few that are more eloquent
      with it but... I can tell ya how to get audio to your speakers...

      There is a program that comes with VAC that allows you to listen to the
      audio. It's called Audio Repeater.

      Run the program and in the drop down box called "Wave In", select the
      VAC line that you set up for input for receive. Then in the "Wave Out"
      drop down box, select either the "Microsoft Sound Mapper" (if it
      appears) or the Sound Card. Then clicky on Start.

      That should provide you with all the sounds you need.

      If anyone spots an error in the above, let me know.

      Hope this helps...

      73, cul...
      Bob de k2ki

      jack wrote:

      > I am running FSK RTTY with the following setup:
      >
      > 1. SoftRock V9 running Kristos's PSDR for receive
      > 2. Soundcard in is SB USB, Soundcard out is VAC
      > 3. VAC out goes to VAC in on MMTTY to decode
      > 4. MMTTY sends serial data to my VFO and AM transmitter in CW mode.
      >
      > It works great both sending and receiving but the problem is that I
      > have no audio to listen to. It is strictly visual which takes some of
      > the fun out of it.
      >
      > I haven't a clue what VAC is and only use it because someone said it
      > is the only way so I did and it works. I have read the explanation
      > several time on the VAC site but it is incomprehensible to me. I
      > recognize a few words so it must be English but aside from that, I am
      > adrift.
      >
      > Whenever I choose VAC as the output soundcard, I lose audio.
      >
      > I have the onboard card in the HP tower and an outboard USB Sound
      > Blaster but the only thing that will talk to the RTTY software is VAC.
      >
      > I have the same problem with all the other RTTY programs that I have run.
      >
      > Can someone please explain what VAC is in a few paragraphs and or help
      > me find my audio.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jack

    • K9ACT
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 18, 2009
        Bob - K2KI wrote:

        > There is a program that comes with VAC that allows you to listen to the
        > audio. It's called Audio Repeater.

        Would this by any chance be one of the features only in the "pay for"
        version? I am running the trial version and they make an issue about
        not buying till one is sure the trial versions works.

        js
      • K9ACT
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 18, 2009
          I found the program in the trial version and it solves the problem.

          Now to get rid of the nice lady who keeps saying "trial" every ten
          seconds. Never heard this before but it's worth the $30 to get rid of her.
          \
          Thanks much for your help.

          Jack
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 18, 2009
            Jack,

            It would be nice if that simple $30 was also possible elsewere...
            :-)

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, K9ACT <K9ACT@...> wrote:

            > I found the program in the trial version and it solves the problem.
            >
            > Now to get rid of the nice lady who keeps saying "trial" every ten
            > seconds. Never heard this before but it's worth the $30 to get rid of her.
            > \
            > Thanks much for your help.
            >
            > Jack

          • K9ACT
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 19, 2009
              sv1eia wrote:
              > Jack,
              >
              > It would be nice if that simple $30 was also possible elsewere...
              > :-)

              I can think of one particular "nice lady" that cost a great deal more
              than $30 to get rid of but that solved a lot of problems too.

              This make my RTTY project complete and has been a great learning
              experience. It would have been a lot simpler to use my HQ145 receiver
              but it is just so cool to see the entire digital window with the SDR
              than just listening to diddles as I can find them.

              Last night I had a real time trying to make a guy understand that I was
              not on USB or LSB. He kept insisting that as he was on USB I had to
              transmit on USB. There is more to ham radio than rice boxes.

              Thanks,

              Jack
            • k6acj
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 19, 2009
                For my laptop using VAC with internal sound card for digital, external USB Audigy for I-Q signals, I use my SKYPE USB soundcard head set for listening or speaking when using VAC and PowerSDR. These are the headsets with the tiny sound card module in the line cord, just a plug and go, no more software.

                Bill k6acj

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "jack" <K9ACT@...> wrote:

                > I am running FSK RTTY with the following setup:
                >
                > 1. SoftRock V9 running Kristos's PSDR for receive
                > 2. Soundcard in is SB USB, Soundcard out is VAC
                > 3. VAC out goes to VAC in on MMTTY to decode
                > 4. MMTTY sends serial data to my VFO and AM transmitter in CW mode.
                >
                > It works great both sending and receiving but the problem is that I have no audio to listen to. It is strictly visual which takes some of the fun out of it.
                >
                > I haven't a clue what VAC is and only use it because someone said it is the only way so I did and it works. I have read the explanation several time on the VAC site but it is incomprehensible to me. I recognize a few words so it must be English but aside from that, I am adrift.
                >
                > Whenever I choose VAC as the output soundcard, I lose audio.
                >
                > I have the onboard card in the HP tower and an outboard USB Sound Blaster but the only thing that will talk to the RTTY software is VAC.
                >
                > I have the same problem with all the other RTTY programs that I have run.
                >
                > Can someone please explain what VAC is in a few paragraphs and or help me find my audio.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Jack

              • K9ACT
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 19, 2009
                  k6acj wrote:
                  > For my laptop using VAC with internal sound card for digital,
                  > external USB Audigy for I-Q signals, I use my SKYPE USB soundcard
                  > head set for listening or speaking when using VAC and PowerSDR.
                  > These are the headsets with the tiny sound card module in the line
                  > cord, just a plug and go, no more software.

                  I guess I have a thing about headsets. Having spent 4 years in the
                  Coast Guard where they were mandatory for monitoring 500 kc, they sort
                  of became a symbol for CW. I never use them for casual hamming and as a
                  dedicated AMer.... you gotta have big speakers to do it right.

                  Interesting idea though. It's neat how we all find our own ways to
                  solve problems.

                  Thanks,

                  js
                • santini
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 19, 2009
                    On 10/19/2009 12:51 PM, K9ACT wrote:

                    k6acj wrote:
                    > For my laptop using VAC with internal sound card for digital,
                    > external USB Audigy for I-Q signals, I use my SKYPE USB soundcard
                    > head set for listening or speaking when using VAC and PowerSDR.
                    > These are the headsets with the tiny sound card module in the line
                    > cord, just a plug and go, no more software.

                    I guess I have a thing about headsets. Having spent 4 years in the
                    Coast Guard where they were mandatory for monitoring 500 kc, they sort
                    of became a symbol for CW. I never use them for casual hamming and as a
                    dedicated AMer.... you gotta have big speakers to do it right.

                    Interesting idea though. It's neat how we all find our own ways to
                    solve problems.

                    Thanks,

                    js

                    JS you forgot 8364 in the other headphone.

                    Jim WY4R ex USCG
                  • K9ACT
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 19, 2009
                      santini wrote:

                      > JS you forgot 8364 in the other headphone.

                      Forgot what that was... aircraft?

                      2182 was always on the speaker. Turning it down or setting down the
                      earphones was punishable by death or mowing the Chief's lawn.

                      > Jim WY4R ex USCG

                      Cool.... ever check into the CG net on 14.300 on Sat?

                      I had a tough career, St Louis, Bermuda and St Louis again.

                      Jack

                    • jr_dakota
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 21, 2009
                        VAC wasn't really written for Amateur Radio use but to get around limitations with the old Windows Sound API for recording (Vista's and Win7's Sound API is based on virtual mixing and routing like VAC but none of the Amateur Radio programs leverage it yet that I've seen)

                        Virtual Audio Cable is not a very good description of what VAC is, it's really a Virtual Patch Bay, the software equivelent to a recording studio/live sound patch bay. The program isn't exactly intuitive to use unless you have some experience with hardware sound production

                        As XP fades away in the near future programs like VAC and the aging ASIO API are going to fade away with it and those who write software are going to have to learn to leverage the new Windows Sound API ... Unfortunately everyone except Pro Sound/Recording has ignored the new API even though it's been around for nearly 3 years and it's vastly superior to anything Microsoft (And most OS'es) has done to date and the delayed adoption of the new API is probably going to make the pain worse when the old API dies

                        JR

                        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "jack" <K9ACT@...> wrote:

                        > I am running FSK RTTY with the following setup:
                        >
                        > 1. SoftRock V9 running Kristos's PSDR for receive
                        > 2. Soundcard in is SB USB, Soundcard out is VAC
                        > 3. VAC out goes to VAC in on MMTTY to decode
                        > 4. MMTTY sends serial data to my VFO and AM transmitter in CW mode.
                        >
                        > It works great both sending and receiving but the problem is that I have no audio to listen to. It is strictly visual which takes some of the fun out of it.
                        >
                        > I haven't a clue what VAC is and only use it because someone said it is the only way so I did and it works. I have read the explanation several time on the VAC site but it is incomprehensible to me. I recognize a few words so it must be English but aside from that, I am adrift.
                        >
                        > Whenever I choose VAC as the output soundcard, I lose audio.
                        >
                        > I have the onboard card in the HP tower and an outboard USB Sound Blaster but the only thing that will talk to the RTTY software is VAC.
                        >
                        > I have the same problem with all the other RTTY programs that I have run.
                        >
                        > Can someone please explain what VAC is in a few paragraphs and or help me find my audio.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Jack

                      • K9ACT
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 21, 2009
                          jr_dakota wrote:
                          > VAC wasn't really written for Amateur Radio use but.....

                          Thanks for the insight. Somehow I was trying to relate it to another
                          sound card but a patch board makes sense.

                          I guess I don't understand why I can't just send the output of one of
                          the sound cards to MTTY. I could even do it with a patch cord but it
                          doesn't work. Why do I need VAC?

                          So far I have been able to get it to do what needs to be done until last
                          when I ran into a new problem.

                          I was trying to run WSPR using the same technique but it never produced
                          any signals going from VAC to VAC.

                          In frustration I brought out a laptop and set up WSPR on it.
                          I sent Pwsdr to line out of the Sound Blaster then a cable to the mic
                          input of the laptop and it ran just fine but hardly seems worth two
                          computers.

                          Any ideas?

                          js
                        • Alan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 21, 2009
                            From: "K9ACT"
                            Subject: Re: [powersdr-iq] Re: VAC

                            > I guess I don't understand why I can't just send the output of one of
                            > the sound cards to MTTY. I could even do it with a patch cord but it
                            > doesn't work. Why do I need VAC?

                            Linking two cards on the same computer by a cable should be no problem, apart from possible signal deterioration.

                            This is what VAC does but sorting out the Windows mixer settings can be as difficult as setting up VAC.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • jr_dakota
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 21, 2009
                              It's kind of hard to explain but basically VAC works purely in the digital domain but a soundcard output is an analog signal .... You need to grab the signal before it's sent to the soundcard and converted back to analog .... You need to create another virtual cable (Patch point) but I think you are limited with the trial version and that's where your problem is

                              JR

                              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, K9ACT <K9ACT@...> wrote:

                              > jr_dakota wrote:
                              > > VAC wasn't really written for Amateur Radio use but.....
                              >
                              > Thanks for the insight. Somehow I was trying to relate it to another
                              > sound card but a patch board makes sense.
                              >
                              > I guess I don't understand why I can't just send the output of one of
                              > the sound cards to MTTY. I could even do it with a patch cord but it
                              > doesn't work. Why do I need VAC?
                              >
                              > So far I have been able to get it to do what needs to be done until last
                              > when I ran into a new problem.
                              >
                              > I was trying to run WSPR using the same technique but it never produced
                              > any signals going from VAC to VAC.
                              >
                              > In frustration I brought out a laptop and set up WSPR on it.
                              > I sent Pwsdr to line out of the Sound Blaster then a cable to the mic
                              > input of the laptop and it ran just fine but hardly seems worth two
                              > computers.
                              >
                              > Any ideas?
                              >
                              > js

                            • K9ACT
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 22, 2009
                                jr_dakota wrote:
                                > It's kind of hard to explain but basically VAC works purely in the
                                > digital domain but a soundcard output is an analog signal .... You
                                > need to grab the signal before it's sent to the soundcard and
                                > converted back to analog .... You need to create another virtual
                                > cable (Patch point) but I think you are limited with the trial
                                > version and that's where your problem is

                                I did purchase the VAC to get rid of the nagging lady when I got
                                everything working.

                                The new problem with WSPR seems like it should work the name way MMTTY
                                works.

                                Soft Rock goes to Psdr via Sound Blaster line in.

                                Psdr out is via VAC1.

                                MTTY/WSPR in is VAC1.

                                Audio is restored for MTTY using the Audio Repeater and VAC 1 but I
                                don't need audio for WSPR.

                                MTTY works but WSPR does not.

                                WSPR works if I patch SP out to the mic input of a different computer.

                                js
                              • K9ACT
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 22, 2009
                                  One other thing occurs to me when looking at the set up in my previous
                                  posting.

                                  Pwsdr seems to be running the Softrock using only the input to the
                                  Soundblaster USB and VAC. What is the onboard card doing and the output
                                  of the SB?

                                  In other words, just what is the VAC doing? What is the onboard card doing?

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 22, 2009
                                    Jack,

                                    Sometimes the VAC configuration could be an issue, this thread with detailed VAC settings might be helping
                                    -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/642

                                    In general, I do not put the 'Volume Control' checked in VAC since the mixer might do some funny things so I have this control unchecked thus no mixer volume control exists for VAC with me, only the applications that handle the audio stream will do that and not the mixer.

                                    --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, K9ACT <K9ACT@...> wrote:

                                    > One other thing occurs to me when looking at the set up in my previous
                                    > posting.
                                    >
                                    > Pwsdr seems to be running the Softrock using only the input to the
                                    > Soundblaster USB and VAC. What is the onboard card doing and the output
                                    > of the SB?
                                    >
                                    > In other words, just what is the VAC doing? What is the onboard card doing?

                                    > Soft Rock goes to Psdr via Sound Blaster line in.
                                    >
                                    > Psdr out is via VAC1.
                                    >
                                    > MTTY/WSPR in is VAC1.
                                    >
                                    > Audio is restored for MTTY using the Audio Repeater

                                    > js

                                  • K9ACT
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 23, 2009
                                      sv1eia wrote:
                                      > Jack,
                                      >
                                      > Sometimes the VAC configuration could be an issue, this thread with detailed VAC settings might be helping
                                      > -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/642

                                      Will ponder it over my nap but as a point of interest, it seems to make
                                      no difference whether I enable VAC or not; either on the control panel
                                      or in setup.

                                      The VAC works properly when I do not enable it. All I have to do is
                                      enter VAC1 in the out box and it runs. In fact, it sometimes crashes or
                                      gives an error message when I try to enable it.

                                      js
                                    • K9ACT
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 23, 2009
                                        I pondered it and found this which probably answers my last question but
                                        I do not understand what it means.

                                        > > > VAC option inside PowerSDR is used to convey the Mic and Spk
                                        audio streams to whatever audio cards exist on your system.

                                        Could you elaborate on the internal VAC purpose a bit? I apparently do
                                        not need it with the external VAC program but I would still like to
                                        understand it.

                                        Jack
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 23, 2009
                                          Jack,

                                          The VAC term is describing two things so it could be a bit confusing sometimes.

                                          Regarding PowerSDR, the VAC button redirects the audio streams, from what is the normal to what is specified in Setup->Audio->VAC tab setup page.
                                          So the audio output (speaker) will be channeled out to whatever is specified in Setup->Audio->VAC->Output
                                          and the audio input (mic) will be channeled in from whatever is specified in Setup->Audio->VAC->Input

                                          That is the way that third party digital programs get the audio stream from PowerSDR and send back the audio to be transmited.

                                          That button is just doing this and it does not act as another audio card, something that the third party application named VAC is actually doing next.

                                          Regarding the third party VAC application, it is required if we do not want to put a physical audio card in the middle of audio I/O between the PowerSDR and an external digital application. This VAC will act as two bidirectional audio ports, but without hardware, and convey the audio stream from one application to another.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 23, 2009
                                            Jack,

                                            Have a look at this post as I indicated before, it will help you
                                            -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/640