New vesion question

  • w7rjc
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi Christos,

      I am going to install the latest version of powersdr and since I have
      done the RX calibrations I am wondering how to do it without losing
      the calibration settings it has saved? I'm going from vesion 01 to
      version 03

      I have also noted some clicking as I change freq. I am hoping version
      03 will correct this. Thanks for all you do to help us guys in the
      trenches. Ray W7RJC
    • Christos Nikolaou
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi Ray,

        The file PowerSDR.mdb inside the program folder holds all
        configuration information. If you save this file and restore it back
        it will preserve all settings.

        Regarding the clicking, it should be there when you move beyond the
        2000ppm frequency threshold, that means if your frequency change is
        greater than 2000ppm then the Si570 has to retune so a 20ms gap will
        come up as a click. That is by definition of Si570 command set.
        This Clicking is bearely noticeable in low bands but quite noticeable
        in higher freq >20m.
        In the early days of Si570 we had clicking even within the 2000ppm
        area, then SiLabs informed us and at least for the 'nearby'
        frequencies there is no clicking, yet again it will be there for
        higher frequency jumps.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@...> wrote:

        > Hi Christos,
        >
        > I am going to install the latest version of powersdr and since I have
        > done the RX calibrations I am wondering how to do it without losing
        > the calibration settings it has saved? I'm going from vesion 01 to
        > version 03
        >
        > I have also noted some clicking as I change freq. I am hoping version
        > 03 will correct this. Thanks for all you do to help us guys in the
        > trenches. Ray W7RJC

      • w7rjc
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
          wrote:
          Hi Christos,
          OK on saving the powersdr.mdb file.
          I have just started using the HSUSB on the sdr computer and all
          seems ok. Guess I can get used to the clicking .. Didn't have any at
          all when I was using the parallel port. However I think hsusb is the
          way to go.
          I'm not sure I know what a 12C interface is .. don't think I have
          one. What boards have them? I'm using Daves si570 board.

          Thanks for a great program without it I could not have built the
          Multiband RxTx radio that is fast becoming my favorite .. much more
          fun than my Ft-1000. Ray W7RJC

        • brainerd@wildblue.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
            On 2 Nov 2008 at 4:39, w7rjc wrote:

            > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
            > wrote:
            > Hi Christos,
            > OK on saving the powersdr.mdb file.
            > I have just started using the HSUSB on the sdr computer and all
            > seems ok. Guess I can get used to the clicking .. Didn't have any at
            > all when I was using the parallel port. However I think hsusb is the
            > way to go.
            > I'm not sure I know what a 12C interface is .. don't think I have
            > one. What boards have them? I'm using Daves si570 board.
            >
            > Thanks for a great program without it I could not have built the
            > Multiband RxTx radio that is fast becoming my favorite .. much more
            > fun than my Ft-1000. Ray W7RJC

            Ray:
            The Si570 uses the I2C interface. It is a serial interface that uses one line for a data line and
            one line as a clock line. In the case of the Si570, the data line is bidirectional and the clock
            line is unidirectional. Each device on the I2C bus has a separate address.

            Dave - WB6DHW
            <http://wb6dhw.com>
          • Christos Nikolaou
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
              Ray,

              This is the second report that I get for clicks on HSUSB.
              I'm sure its not the interface, but it has to be something I did (or
              not did) in the program and the HSUSB device driver.
              Clicks should happen when you jump in frequency for more than 2000ppm
              as per SiLabs datasheet because the Si570 has to retune and will stop
              for about 20ms. If you change frequency for less than 2000ppm then it
              should not do a retune.
              Clicks are more evident in higher frequencies and not evident below 40m.

              I will look into it.

            • w7rjc
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@... wrote:

                > On 2 Nov 2008 at 4:39, w7rjc wrote:
                >
                > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou"
                <sv1eia@>
                > > wrote:
                > > Hi Christos,
                > > OK on saving the powersdr.mdb file.
                > > I have just started using the HSUSB on the sdr computer and all
                > > seems ok. Guess I can get used to the clicking .. Didn't have
                any at
                > > all when I was using the parallel port. However I think hsusb is
                the
                > > way to go.
                > > I'm not sure I know what a 12C interface is .. don't think I
                have
                > > one. What boards have them? I'm using Daves si570 board.
                > >
                > > Thanks for a great program without it I could not have built the
                > > Multiband RxTx radio that is fast becoming my favorite .. much
                more
                > > fun than my Ft-1000. Ray W7RJC
                > > >
                > Ray:
                > The Si570 uses the I2C interface. It is a serial interface that
                uses one line for a data line and
                > one line as a clock line. In the case of the Si570, the data line
                is bidirectional and the clock
                > line is unidirectional. Each device on the I2C bus has a separate
                address.

                > Dave - WB6DHW
                > <http://wb6dhw.com>

                >Dave .. Thanks for the reply on my 12c question. I am wondering if
                I am feeding my (your) si570 board correctly. I am feeding it from
                the HSUSB board directly to the GTL2002. Seems to work but is there
                a better way? Perhaps this is part (or maybe all) of my clicking
                problem as I move the mouse. Thanks again Ray W7RJC
              • w7rjc
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                  wrote:

                  >Hi Christos .. Thanks for looking into the "click" problem .. Let
                  me know if I can be of any help. Ray W7RJC

                • brainerd@wildblue.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                    On 2 Nov 2008 at 20:01, w7rjc wrote:

                    > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On 2 Nov 2008 at 4:39, w7rjc wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou"
                    > <sv1eia@>
                    > > > wrote:
                    > > > Hi Christos,
                    > > > OK on saving the powersdr.mdb file.
                    > > > I have just started using the HSUSB on the sdr computer and all
                    > > > seems ok. Guess I can get used to the clicking .. Didn't have
                    > any at
                    > > > all when I was using the parallel port. However I think hsusb is
                    > the
                    > > > way to go.
                    > > > I'm not sure I know what a 12C interface is .. don't think I
                    > have
                    > > > one. What boards have them? I'm using Daves si570 board.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks for a great program without it I could not have built the
                    > > > Multiband RxTx radio that is fast becoming my favorite .. much
                    > more
                    > > > fun than my Ft-1000. Ray W7RJC
                    > > > >
                    > > Ray:
                    > > The Si570 uses the I2C interface. It is a serial interface that
                    > uses one line for a data line and
                    > > one line as a clock line. In the case of the Si570, the data line
                    > is bidirectional and the clock
                    > > line is unidirectional. Each device on the I2C bus has a separate
                    > address.
                    > >
                    > > Dave - WB6DHW
                    > > <http://wb6dhw.com>
                    >
                    > >Dave .. Thanks for the reply on my 12c question. I am wondering if
                    > I am feeding my (your) si570 board correctly. I am feeding it from
                    > the HSUSB board directly to the GTL2002. Seems to work but is there
                    > a better way? Perhaps this is part (or maybe all) of my clicking
                    > problem as I move the mouse. Thanks again Ray W7RJC

                    That is the correct way as long as you have the HSUSB supply(or the sam voltage level)
                    connected to pin 1 of the Si570 board connector.

                    Dave - WB6DHW
                    <http://wb6dhw.com>
                  • w7rjc
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@... wrote:

                      > On 2 Nov 2008 at 20:01, w7rjc wrote:
                      >
                      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@ wrote:

                      > > <sv1eia@>
                      > > any at
                      > > the
                      > > have

                      much
                      > > more
                      > > > > >
                      > > > Ray:
                      > > > The Si570 uses the I2C interface. It is a serial interface
                      that
                      > > uses one line for a data line and
                      > > > one line as a clock line. In the case of the Si570, the data
                      line
                      > > is bidirectional and the clock
                      > > > line is unidirectional. Each device on the I2C bus has a
                      separate
                      > > address.
                      > > >
                      > > > Dave - WB6DHW
                      > > > <http://wb6dhw.com>
                      > >
                      > > >Dave .. Thanks for the reply on my 12c question. I am wondering
                      if
                      > > I am feeding my (your) si570 board correctly. I am feeding it
                      from
                      > > the HSUSB board directly to the GTL2002. Seems to work but is
                      there
                      > > a better way? Perhaps this is part (or maybe all) of my clicking
                      > > problem as I move the mouse. Thanks again Ray W7RJC
                      > >
                      > That is the correct way as long as you have the HSUSB supply(or
                      the sam voltage level)
                      > connected to pin 1 of the Si570 board connector.
                      >
                      > Dave - WB6DHW
                      > <http://wb6dhw.com>
                      >Dave .. I will have to check, but I think my si570 pin 1 voltage is
                      gotten by a wire from the 12v's after it passes thru the large
                      resistor R1. I will make a change and se how it works out. I
                      sometimes have trouble getting it to startup. Thanks Ray W7RJC
                      PS tryed listening on the Farm net but have always been interupted,
                      so ever have heard you. 73