USB I2c use with Powers SDR??

  • w4npx_2
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
      I just finished building the Softrock 6.3 transceiver and had it working on a dummy load tonight for a while--till I blew the PTT input transistor, now replaced and working again.

      I have still to build the Softrock USB I2C for my transceiver, but have decided that I will probably prefer using Power SDR-IQ and it appears to be substantially smoother in operation, filter adjustments and over all features.

      My question is should I build the USB I2C kit for use with SDR or is there a better solution for use with SDR. I need to make some of these decisions before I start to box up my little tranceiver.

      If the USB I2c will work well with SDR then I will build it?

      Also,I plan on using Ham Radio Deluxe (DM 780) for PSK and possibly rtty and cw using VAC cables (in fact am now receiving with SDR using HRD. How will HRD audio and PTT output be configured back through SRD for transmit or will it have to use its own PTT comport.

      Thanks in advance for any information.

      Bob

      W4NPX
    • alexle188
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009

        > My question is should I build the USB I2C kit for use with SDR or is there a better solution for use with SDR. I need to make some of these decisions before I start to box up my little tranceiver.
        >
        > If the USB I2c will work well with SDR then I will build it?

        If you are interested in electronically band switching the SR v6.3 transceiver (instead of manual swapping of the PAF's and Rx filters), you might like to consider the Mobo v4.3.

        Mobo v4.3 comes with its own USB controller onboard (replacing the USB I2C).

        For details see Softrock40 forum, FILES > 9V1AL > motherboard > v4.3 BETA > Mobo v4.3.4 BETA README.txt

        73's

        Alex
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
          Bob,

          PowerSDR-IQ supports Tony's USBtoI2C.
          Also my favorite is Dave's WB6DHW HSUSB since it has much more connectivity options for PTT/CW/Preamp/LPF/BPF and Si570 control.

          Regarding Alex's proposal, I have to say that interface compatibility of his product is not known if any.

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

          > > My question is should I build the USB I2C kit for use with SDR or is there a better solution for use with SDR. I need to make some of these decisions before I start to box up my little tranceiver.
          > >
          > > If the USB I2c will work well with SDR then I will build it?
          > >

          > If you are interested in electronically band switching the SR v6.3 transceiver (instead of manual swapping of the PAF's and Rx filters), you might like to consider the Mobo v4.3.
          >
          > Mobo v4.3 comes with its own USB controller onboard (replacing the USB I2C).
          >
          > For details see Softrock40 forum, FILES > 9V1AL > motherboard > v4.3 BETA > Mobo v4.3.4 BETA README.txt
          >
          > 73's
          >
          > Alex

        • Loftur Jónasson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
            Hi Bob & Christos,

            >Regarding Alex's proposal, I have to say that interface compatibility of his product is not known if any.

            I can assure you that there is 100%  Interface compatibility of the Mobo 4.3 with the firmware from Fred, PE0FKO  :-)))

            All firmware extensions/addons for the bells and whistles specific to the Mobo, have been co-ordinated with Fred, to ensure future compatibility.

            The Mobo 4.3 firmware has been developed against and tested with the PowerSDR-IQ from Christos.  All 100% compatible, perhaps with the exception of the first item in the list below.

            Some of the added functions of the Mobo 4.3 firmware include:

            1. VFO, using a Rotary Encoder, and 9 short/long term memories,  using a push button (cycle with short pushes, store with long)
            2. PTT2 output (connected to SWR protect function)
            3. Automatic selection between 8 Bandpass filters, with user selectable switch points
            4. Automatic selection between 16 Lowpass filters, with user selectable selectable switchpoints, controls 2x PCF8574 8 bit GPIO extenders. Alternately or in parallel, it can also provide direct control of a 4 bit directly connected GPIO port.
            5. Measurement of Input voltage, PA current, Power forward and Power reflected (uses external Power/SWR bridge)
            6. Hi-SWR protect function, when using an external Power/SWR bridge (automatically lower PA bias and assert an external signal)
            7. PEP indication for power output, showing the highest out of the last 20 measured values in a 2 second interval
            8. PA Temperature measurement and automatic Transmit Disable on a high temperature condition
            9. Manual PA Bias setpoint control, switching between different bias setpoints (such as between classes A and AB), and automatic calibration of the PA bias current
            10. 16x2 LCD display for Frequency readout, Power/SWR metering and status display (RX/TX/hi-SWR/hi-TMP/Mem-store...)
            11. 16x2 and 20x2 LCD display alternatives with analog-style bargraphs for power output and SWR visualisation
            12. 20x4 LCD and 40x2 display alternatives with analog-style bargraphs for power output and SWR visualisation
            13. Read/Write a byte from/to external  I2C connected General Purpose IO extenders (filters, attenuators, amplifiers)
            Further information on the firmware development can be found here:
            http://sites.google.com/site/lofturj/mobo4_3

            And full information on the Mobo 4.3 project can be found in Alex' files folder:
            Softrock40 forum, FILES > 9V1AL > motherboard > v4.3 BETA > Mobo v4.3.4 BETA README.txt

            My ATmega168 version has now also been upgraded to include many (but not all) of the features found in the Mobo 4.3 firmware:
            http://sites.google.com/site/lofturj/softrock6_3

            Hope the above information is useful :))

            73, Loftur, ve/tf3lj

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
              Hi Loftur,

              As I said many times, I've noticed quite often problems of the USBtoI2C and alikes coming probably from the usb chip used.
              Quite prone to RFI as has been identified also by many.
              So I have to say again that what I use myself and many others is the robust Cypress FX2 chip with Dave's HSUSB board.
              This is my recommendation for the time being.

              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Loftur Jónasson <lofturj@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >

              > > Bob,
              > >
              > > PowerSDR-IQ supports Tony's USBtoI2C.
              > > Also my favorite is Dave's WB6DHW HSUSB since it has much more connectivity
              > > options for PTT/CW/Preamp/LPF/BPF and Si570 control.
              > >
              > > Regarding Alex's proposal, I have to say that interface compatibility of
              > > his product is not known if any.

              > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com <powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com>,

              > > there a better solution for use with SDR. I need to make some of these
              > > decisions before I start to box up my little tranceiver.

              > > > If you are interested in electronically band switching the SR v6.3
              > > transceiver (instead of manual swapping of the PAF's and Rx filters), you
              > > might like to consider the Mobo v4.3.
              > > >
              > > > Mobo v4.3 comes with its own USB controller onboard (replacing the USB
              > > I2C).
              > > >
              > > > For details see Softrock40 forum, FILES > 9V1AL > motherboard > v4.3 BETA

            • Rob
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
                Hello Bob,

                I've been using HRD V5.0 beta for a month with Alex's UBW firmware rather than the I2C kit. The I2C kit has limited connections for band switching, but if you don't need that it will work OK. I went for more connection because I have the MoBo V3.6 to cover several bands.

                These different controllers use a common command set, so are all compatible with PowerSDR-IQ.

                Look at the PowerSDR manual (from Flexradio) for setup details. The audio uses a program called Virtual Audio Cable (VAC). The serial data uses a virtual com port program - I use "com0com". You only need one comport for control + PTT.

                The PSDR/HRD combination has tons of advanced abilities. Last week I set DM-780's world map running for several hours on 40m PSK31. It puts red dots on the map when stations transmit their Maidenhead locator. About 40 red dots appeared stretching from the USA to India. Hope you can get it going, because I find such results fascinating!

                Regards,
                Rob
                (M0RZF)