Re: New Software Release

  • Christos Nikolaou
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
      Hi Joe,

      As I mentioned a couple of times, it will be late September, a couple of weeks after Flex announced new version there.
      It will be based on the latest PowerSDR revision, probably 1.20 and it will combine the goodies from Flex (skins, improved ANF/NR, panafal etc) and the goodies you currently have (Si570, LPF/BPF control, USB/LPT control etc)

      The specific issue of 2m Tx IQ settings, came after I placed the 'Per Band Calibration' in PowerSDR when uhfsdr came into play and now I have to include it. ;-)

      Right now, we are in the middle of a hot summer here in Greece, and although laptop and 3G/GPRS modem is standard issue, I'm not making promisses since the islands are soooo delightful thus messages and posts in Augoust will be a bit thin.

      Seeya in September :-))

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "joe price" <joeprice@...> wrote:

      > Hi Christos,
      >
      > Can you give us a preview of changes on your next version of Power SDR?
      > I hope you have included a provision for storing 2 mtr Transmit I/Q
      > phase and gain.
      >
      > Joe wa9cgz

    • sv1btl
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2009
        Hi Christos and the Group,

        New in "town" and as an owner of Perseus hardware, I wonder if there will be any future support for SDR receivers like Perseus, Quick Silver (SDR-IQ etc) in any of new releases of the PowerSDR-IQ software. As far as I know, Perseus hardware (8 KHz IF) can only function with Perseus software and Winrad.
        Congratulations for your efforts for bringing a new software tool and I wish you all the best.

        73 de SV1BTL Emmanuel

        P.S. Christos, be ware of greek sunlight and mermaids :-)

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...> wrote:

        > Hi Joe,
        >
        > As I mentioned a couple of times, it will be late September, a couple of weeks after Flex announced new version there.
        > It will be based on the latest PowerSDR revision, probably 1.20 and it will combine the goodies from Flex (skins, improved ANF/NR, panafal etc) and the goodies you currently have (Si570, LPF/BPF control, USB/LPT control etc)
        >
        > The specific issue of 2m Tx IQ settings, came after I placed the 'Per Band Calibration' in PowerSDR when uhfsdr came into play and now I have to include it. ;-)
        >
        > Right now, we are in the middle of a hot summer here in Greece, and although laptop and 3G/GPRS modem is standard issue, I'm not making promisses since the islands are soooo delightful thus messages and posts in Augoust will be a bit thin.
        >
        > Seeya in September :-))

        > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "joe price" <joeprice@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Christos,
        > >
        > > Can you give us a preview of changes on your next version of Power SDR?
        > > I hope you have included a provision for storing 2 mtr Transmit I/Q
        > > phase and gain.
        > >
        > > Joe wa9cgz

      • Christos Nikolaou
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
          Hi Emmanuel,

          The devices mentioned are quite commercial and not homebrew even by a long shot :-)
          Their internals are kept quite out-of-sight so there is no easy way of implementing an interface to them in PSDR even if I wanted to.
          Schematics are also not existent in the open for none of them and their SDKs are quite limited in functionality(when they exist).

          I understand that the variable bandwidth 'audio' output of PowerSDR is something that could make your life easier in decoding large bandwidth (>8KHz) digital signals like DRM whereas this is a bit problematic nowadays with some the aforementioned devices since some got a fixed limited bandwidth audio output thus filtering a portion of the digital spectrum.
          Nevetheless though the resaons I said before are stopping us from easily integrating these devices to the open platform of PSDR.

          I always have an eye on these for some interfacing innovation but for the time being it seems it will wait for a while.

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1btl" <sv1btl@...> wrote:

          > Hi Christos and the Group,
          >
          > New in "town" and as an owner of Perseus hardware, I wonder if there will be any future support for SDR receivers like Perseus, Quick Silver (SDR-IQ etc) in any of new releases of the PowerSDR-IQ software. As far as I know, Perseus hardware (8 KHz IF) can only function with Perseus software and Winrad.
          > Congratulations for your efforts for bringing a new software tool and I wish you all the best.
          >
          > 73 de SV1BTL Emmanuel
          >
          > P.S. Christos, be ware of greek sunlight and mermaids :-)
          >
          > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Joe,
          > >
          > > As I mentioned a couple of times, it will be late September, a couple of weeks after Flex announced new version there.
          > > It will be based on the latest PowerSDR revision, probably 1.20 and it will combine the goodies from Flex (skins, improved ANF/NR, panafal etc) and the goodies you currently have (Si570, LPF/BPF control, USB/LPT control etc)
          > >
          > > The specific issue of 2m Tx IQ settings, came after I placed the 'Per Band Calibration' in PowerSDR when uhfsdr came into play and now I have to include it. ;-)
          > >
          > > Right now, we are in the middle of a hot summer here in Greece, and although laptop and 3G/GPRS modem is standard issue, I'm not making promisses since the islands are soooo delightful thus messages and posts in Augoust will be a bit thin.
          > >
          > > Seeya in September :-))

          > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "joe price" <joeprice@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Christos,
          > > >
          > > > Can you give us a preview of changes on your next version of Power SDR?
          > > > I hope you have included a provision for storing 2 mtr Transmit I/Q
          > > > phase and gain.
          > > >
          > > > Joe wa9cgz

        • sv1btl
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
            Hi, Christos and thank you for the answers.

            > I understand that the variable bandwidth 'audio' output of PowerSDR is something that could make your life easier in decoding large bandwidth (>8KHz) digital signals...
            Maybe I cannot express my self, because technical terms is not my area. Perseus soft. can decode up to 50 KHz bandwidth and the panadaper can "fit" usefull, decodable 1600 Khz at once at a bit rate of 96000kbps. But I can easily understand that due to the lack of open platform and true open SDK's is rather difficult or impossible to support commercial receivers like Perseus, QuickSilver etc. :-( , but I still don't understand why theses SDK's are closed (????...), and of course you can't answer this question.

            Keep on doing a perfect job
            Regards 73 de SV1BTL Emmanuel

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...> wrote:

            > Hi Emmanuel,
            >
            > The devices mentioned are quite commercial and not homebrew even by a long shot :-)
            > Their internals are kept quite out-of-sight so there is no easy way of implementing an interface to them in PSDR even if I wanted to.
            > Schematics are also not existent in the open for none of them and their SDKs are quite limited in functionality(when they exist).
            >
            > I understand that the variable bandwidth 'audio' output of PowerSDR is something that could make your life easier in decoding large bandwidth (>8KHz) digital signals like DRM whereas this is a bit problematic nowadays with some the aforementioned devices since some got a fixed limited bandwidth audio output thus filtering a portion of the digital spectrum.
            > Nevetheless though the resaons I said before are stopping us from easily integrating these devices to the open platform of PSDR.
            >
            > I always have an eye on these for some interfacing innovation but for the time being it seems it will wait for a while.

            > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1btl" <sv1btl@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Christos and the Group,
            > >
            > > New in "town" and as an owner of Perseus hardware, I wonder if there will be any future support for SDR receivers like Perseus, Quick Silver (SDR-IQ etc) in any of new releases of the PowerSDR-IQ software. As far as I know, Perseus hardware (8 KHz IF) can only function with Perseus software and Winrad.
            > > Congratulations for your efforts for bringing a new software tool and I wish you all the best.
            > >
            > > 73 de SV1BTL Emmanuel
            > >
            > > P.S. Christos, be ware of greek sunlight and mermaids :-)
            > >
            > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Joe,
            > > >
            > > > As I mentioned a couple of times, it will be late September, a couple of weeks after Flex announced new version there.
            > > > It will be based on the latest PowerSDR revision, probably 1.20 and it will combine the goodies from Flex (skins, improved ANF/NR, panafal etc) and the goodies you currently have (Si570, LPF/BPF control, USB/LPT control etc)
            > > >
            > > > The specific issue of 2m Tx IQ settings, came after I placed the 'Per Band Calibration' in PowerSDR when uhfsdr came into play and now I have to include it. ;-)
            > > >
            > > > Right now, we are in the middle of a hot summer here in Greece, and although laptop and 3G/GPRS modem is standard issue, I'm not making promisses since the islands are soooo delightful thus messages and posts in Augoust will be a bit thin.
            > > >
            > > > Seeya in September :-))
            > > >
            > > > 73,
            > > > Christos SV1EIA

          • Christos Nikolaou
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
              Emmanuel,

              I was referring to a problem that you've faced when you could not pass-on from the vendor application to the commercial DRM application the required 12KHz audio because the vendor application had a cut-off to 8KHz.
              Of course and I know that these gizmos can 'see' a huge amount of bandwidth, but the problem is (if I remember correctly) that the processed audio output is limited to 8KHz thus acts as a filter when you want to convey the audio stream for further processing to another application like DRM.