Operating CW with PSDR-IQ

  • Bruce Sawtelle
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
      First off, thanks everyone, especially Christos for all the great help!

      I'm having some issues using PSDR-IQ with the SR RX/TX 6.3 in CW mode.

      Receive works great, and I'm using the USB-I2C (now I understand why
      no one wants to use the dip-switches!! ;-) )

      I can go into "tune" and see the signal on the TS-850, no antenna
      attached of course! S/R is drawing ~200mA when in "tune", so it's
      "working" By the way, I can't even hear the image of the xmit signal
      in my TS-850...fantastic !!)

      When I select "cwx", The transmitter starts to key on/off sporadically
      (no relation to CW speed). However, while it's in this mode, if I
      click on one of the long macros (cq cq cq de.....), I get a repetitive
      "dit" stream for the duration but nothing of the macro contents.
      Changing speed in cwx box doesn't appear to change speed of "dit"
      stream. Listening closely after the macro is complete, I can somewhat
      hear the superimposed "dits", but the transmitter still keys down/up
      sporadically.

      RCVE:
      I'm using my SB Live USB soundcard (line in) for receive IQ and the
      on-board Sigmatel for audio output (laptop speakers or headphone).
      Works great.

      XMIT:
      1) I can leave the Xmit IQ input unconnected and I have this same
      behavior and I don't hear it on the TS-850 as expected. However, the
      laptop exhibits the "sproradic" keyup/down behavior as if trying to xmit.
      2) If I plug the XMIT IQ input into the Sigmatel "phone" output and go
      to "cwx" , I get the same behavior on the laptop and now get the
      signal in the TS-850.

      I'd like to confirm that I have all the setup options correct as well.
      This may be a hardware issue with the S/R, but I've looked a it pretty
      closely. I'll start probing next.

      tnx
      Bruce -W3NJ
    • Bruce Sawtelle
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
        Well, now I know it's either operator error (likely!) or PSDR-IQ
        problem. I'm running the program with no S/R attached on another
        laptop (single on-board Sigmatel soundcard) and it's doing the same thing.

        Bruce

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Sawtelle" <W3NJ@...> wrote:

        > First off, thanks everyone, especially Christos for all the great help!
        >
        > I'm having some issues using PSDR-IQ with the SR RX/TX 6.3 in CW mode.
        >
        > Receive works great, and I'm using the USB-I2C (now I understand why
        > no one wants to use the dip-switches!! ;-) )
        >
        > I can go into "tune" and see the signal on the TS-850, no antenna
        > attached of course! S/R is drawing ~200mA when in "tune", so it's
        > "working" By the way, I can't even hear the image of the xmit signal
        > in my TS-850...fantastic !!)
        >
        > When I select "cwx", The transmitter starts to key on/off sporadically
        > (no relation to CW speed). However, while it's in this mode, if I
        > click on one of the long macros (cq cq cq de.....), I get a repetitive
        > "dit" stream for the duration but nothing of the macro contents.
        > Changing speed in cwx box doesn't appear to change speed of "dit"
        > stream. Listening closely after the macro is complete, I can somewhat
        > hear the superimposed "dits", but the transmitter still keys down/up
        > sporadically.
        >
        > RCVE:
        > I'm using my SB Live USB soundcard (line in) for receive IQ and the
        > on-board Sigmatel for audio output (laptop speakers or headphone).
        > Works great.
        >
        > XMIT:
        > 1) I can leave the Xmit IQ input unconnected and I have this same
        > behavior and I don't hear it on the TS-850 as expected. However, the
        > laptop exhibits the "sproradic" keyup/down behavior as if trying to
        xmit.
        > 2) If I plug the XMIT IQ input into the Sigmatel "phone" output and go
        > to "cwx" , I get the same behavior on the laptop and now get the
        > signal in the TS-850.
        >
        > I'd like to confirm that I have all the setup options correct as well.
        > This may be a hardware issue with the S/R, but I've looked a it pretty
        > closely. I'll start probing next.
        >
        > tnx
        > Bruce -W3NJ

      • Christos Nikolaou
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
          Bruce,

          The provided functionality of USB to I2C interface in PowerSDR-IQ is
          frequency agility and PTT.
          If you want CW operation on PowerSDR-IQ then you need to revert to LPT
          interface for this.

          Yet again, if you insist on using the USB to I2C, you need to install
          the PowerSDR version from sdr-kits since they support and market this
          interface.

          In general, CW operation has not had much attention so far and quite a
          few things could not function as needed. In a feature version that
          might be rectified.

        • Bruce Sawtelle
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
            Thanks Christos,

            I will try the LPT interface.

            Is there a possibility that PowerSDR-IQ will support MCW in the future
            and using the USB-I2C PTT fucntion, so the LPT interface would not be
            needed?

            73
            Bruce

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > RCVE:
            > > > I'm using my SB Live USB soundcard (line in) for receive IQ and the
            > > > on-board Sigmatel for audio output (laptop speakers or headphone).
            > > > Works great.
            > > >
            > > > XMIT:
            > > > 1) I can leave the Xmit IQ input unconnected and I have this same
            > > > behavior and I don't hear it on the TS-850 as expected. However, the
            > > > laptop exhibits the "sproradic" keyup/down behavior as if trying to
            > > xmit.
            > > > 2) If I plug the XMIT IQ input into the Sigmatel "phone" output
            and go
            > > > to "cwx" , I get the same behavior on the laptop and now get the
            > > > signal in the TS-850.
            > > >
            > > > I'd like to confirm that I have all the setup options correct as
            well.
            > > > This may be a hardware issue with the S/R, but I've looked a it

          • Bruce Sawtelle
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
              Hi Christos,

              Can you tell me how the "cwx" macros key the transmitter in CW? I see
              inputs on the LPT interface, but how does the output get connected to
              the S?R?

              tnx
              Bruce -W3NJ

            • Christos Nikolaou
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
                Bruce,

                CW memories are supported and working even now.

                For USB to I2C, I already gave you the answer.

              • Christos Nikolaou
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
                  Bruce,

                  Whatever is written in a CW macro, it gets transmitted from the program by
                  setting frequency to Tx
                  invoking PTT
                  sending a 600Hz tone either CWU (USB) or CWL (LSB)

                  that is the CW mechanism and it works automatically.

                  For the manual CW operation you need to connect the stright key to
                  your LPT port and configure the relevant LPT address in Setup.
                  As soon as you change the mode to CW either -l or -U and you key-in,
                  the program will perform the above steps.