Re: Announcement for PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 with Effective Image Adjustment

  • Christos Nikolaou
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 21, 2009
      Hi Hidehiko,

      You need to switch it from the LPT.
      The USBtoI2C functionality is frequency change and PTT.

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:

      > Hi Christos,
      >
      > Thanks for the new version!
      > I will test with Softrock V9 + XTALL(USB-I2C) + HF_BPF.
      > Is this latest version avairable to controll HF_BPF from
      > the USB-I2C port?
      > Or still not avairable and I have to connect the parallel port
      > to controll the HF_BPF?
      >
      > Thanks,73 ja9mat Hidehiko.

    • qrper723
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 21, 2009
        OK thanks, it works well now!
        73 ja9mat Hidehiko.

        > You need to switch it from the LPT.
        > The USBtoI2C functionality is frequency change and PTT.

        > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "qrper723" <qrper72@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Christos,
        > >
        > > Thanks for the new version!
        > > I will test with Softrock V9 + XTALL(USB-I2C) + HF_BPF.
        > > Is this latest version avairable to controll HF_BPF from
        > > the USB-I2C port?
        > > Or still not avairable and I have to connect the parallel port
        > > to controll the HF_BPF?
        > >
        > > Thanks,73 ja9mat Hidehiko.

      • w7rjc
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 21, 2009
          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
          wrote:
          >Hi Christos,
          Hay! Good job on the new version and auto cal. Looks like everybody
          likes it. I just new I had been conversing with a Software genious
          HiHi.

          I have some new thoughts on how to do IMD testing .. will e-mail you
          later about what I've tryed. Ray W7RJC

          > Hi,
          >
          > A new version with a long waited experimental image adjustment is
          > available.
          > This new version has an automated image calibration during
          reception
          > so no more phase/gain IQ calibration is required from the user.
          >
          > Effective Image Adjustment, EIA, is a button on the front console,
          > when activated during Rx can nullify the images without any
          > intervention of the operator. It is adaptive to every band and
          every
          > IF used and works with agile LO frequency control, not just with
          > center frequency.
          > In full viewable spectrum (192KHz) achieves more than 70dB of image
          > suppression.
          >
          > Download PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 Setup.msi from GoogleCode filelist
          > ->http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
          > or directly
          > ->http://powersdr-iq.googlecode.com/files/PowerSDR-IQ%20v1.12.20%
          20Setup.msi

        • R Bishop - W0CNN
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 21, 2009
            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <sv1fxo@...> wrote:

            > A feature like this should have been implemented by the mighty Flex
            > Radio Systems since the begining of PowerSDR development.
            > Image rejection is a necessity and not a luxury in direct conversion
            > transceivers.

            If I'm not mistaken, Bob McGwier (N4HY) and Eric Wachsmann already
            started integrating new I/Q correction algorithms into the Production
            PowerSDR codebase sometime last month. Expect to see this released
            sometime in the near future.

            -Reid-
            W0CNN
          • g7jur
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 21, 2009
              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
              wrote:
              Hi Christos.

              Many thanks for the update, all working fine here.
              What does the box on the left hand side of EIA button do.

              Thanks Philip g7jur

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 21, 2009
                Hi Philip,

                The Effective Image Adjustment button has a seed coefficient number
                besides it.
                The effect of this number is the how fast the algorhythm will act but
                yet slower means better behaviour in signals around noise level.
                It is there for experimentation purposes for the time being. In later
                versions it might be removed.

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g7jur" <philip.g7jur@...> wrote:

                > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@>
                > wrote:
                > Hi Christos.
                >
                > Many thanks for the update, all working fine here.
                > What does the box on the left hand side of EIA button do.
                >
                > Thanks Philip g7jur
                >

                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > A new version with a long waited experimental image adjustment is
                > > available.
                > > This new version has an automated image calibration during reception
                > > so no more phase/gain IQ calibration is required from the user.
                > >
                > > Effective Image Adjustment, EIA, is a button on the front console,
                > > when activated during Rx can nullify the images without any
                > > intervention of the operator. It is adaptive to every band and every
                > > IF used and works with agile LO frequency control, not just with
                > > center frequency.
                > > In full viewable spectrum (192KHz) achieves more than 70dB of image
                > > suppression.
                > >
                > > Download PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 Setup.msi from GoogleCode filelist
                > > ->http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
                > > or directly

                ->http://powersdr-iq.googlecode.com/files/PowerSDR-IQ%20v1.12.20%20Setup.msi

              • gw4gte
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                  Hi christos,

                  Many thanks for the new version.

                  I've loaded it here and have a couple of "finger trouble" questions for
                  the group :

                  1. (Softrock rx) The tuning method I use is via a DDS LO tuned from the
                  serial data stream from a PC COM port. Previous version worked fine.
                  between what my DDS displays and what the DSR screen displays, and I
                  can't see how to correct this.
                  2. I was expecting to see the image of a tuned-in carrier slowly
                  reduce on its own with EIA pressed but nothing's happening. Do I need
                  to do something else or doesn't it work for some reason with my tuning
                  method?

                  Cheers

                  Dave GW4GTE
                • gw4gte
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                    Christos

                    What is the recommended default value?

                    Dave GW4GTE
                  • gw4gte
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                      Answering my own question:

                      EIA: My seed number started at 0.010 so I thought it used small
                      numbers. Just tried larger values say greater than 1.000 and it
                      works. Not too good on a -70dBm carrier, but as soon as I upped the
                      signal to -50dBm it got a grip and dropped the image right down.

                      Hope this is useful for others.

                      //

                      Freq error clarification:
                      Regarding the offset issue, to clarify, with a carrier on say 3.6MHz,
                      my DDS says 3.6MHz (as before), the SDR readout digits say 3.6MHz (as
                      before), but the spectrum display puts the carrier on 3.601MHz. The
                      offset used to be 10kHz (which my DDS is compensating for) Has this
                      changed?

                      fyi: I use Setup/Hardware config/Radio Model : SDR (Si570)
                      and Setup / Serial / Serial Output : COM15 (in my case), with VFO
                      ticked and "V" chosen as a data prefix.

                      Dave GW4GTE
                    • gw4gte
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                        I've just recompiled my PIC / DDS code for an offset of 9kHz as opposed
                        to the 10 kHz value it used to be, and it's now spot on. So it appears
                        that for some reason the offset in the latest version has changed.

                        It would be nice to have a way of selecting the offset value in the SDR
                        setup.

                        cheers

                        Dave GW4GTE
                      • Christos Nikolaou
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                          Dave,

                          The offset as you call it is the IF used in PowerSDR.
                          It can be configured from
                          ->Setup->Hardware Config->Expert->Answer yes on prompt->IF(Hz)
                          That is needed in order to avoid the DC groundloop artifacts on the LO
                          frequency.
                          Also the Clock Offset is used in order to calibrate exact frequency in
                          conjuction with a known signal or even better with WWV.
                          For both please read relevant posts in the group, there are many.

                          PS.
                          As a general rule, its good to see past posts or search through them
                          for info.

                          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "gw4gte" <Dave@...> wrote:

                          > I've just recompiled my PIC / DDS code for an offset of 9kHz as opposed
                          > to the 10 kHz value it used to be, and it's now spot on. So it appears
                          > that for some reason the offset in the latest version has changed.
                          >
                          > It would be nice to have a way of selecting the offset value in the SDR
                          > setup.
                          >
                          > cheers
                          >
                          > Dave GW4GTE

                        • Christos Nikolaou
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                            I do not know how you managed to do that, the number is in the range
                            0.000 to 1.000 and it do not accept numbers beyond that.

                            Large numbers are faster, small numbers are better in small signal
                            handling.
                            Anyway in a later version this will be eliminated.

                            Also in a first upload there was a bug in the button, although it was
                            selected it did not function underneath, it needed a re-check after
                            initial program startup. That is already fixed in the current uploaded
                            version.

                            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "gw4gte" <Dave@...> wrote:

                            > Answering my own question:
                            >
                            > EIA: My seed number started at 0.010 so I thought it used small
                            > numbers. Just tried larger values say greater than 1.000 and it
                            > works. Not too good on a -70dBm carrier, but as soon as I upped the
                            > signal to -50dBm it got a grip and dropped the image right down.
                            >
                            > Hope this is useful for others.
                            >
                            > //
                            >
                            > Freq error clarification:
                            > Regarding the offset issue, to clarify, with a carrier on say 3.6MHz,
                            > my DDS says 3.6MHz (as before), the SDR readout digits say 3.6MHz (as
                            > before), but the spectrum display puts the carrier on 3.601MHz. The
                            > offset used to be 10kHz (which my DDS is compensating for) Has this
                            > changed?
                            >
                            > fyi: I use Setup/Hardware config/Radio Model : SDR (Si570)
                            > and Setup / Serial / Serial Output : COM15 (in my case), with VFO
                            > ticked and "V" chosen as a data prefix.
                            >
                            > Dave GW4GTE

                          • gw4gte
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                              HI Christos,

                              You can put a number into the box over 1.000 if you edit the number in
                              the box rather than wait for the up/down arrows to get there. I notice
                              now since your reply that when you press an up/down arrow the number
                              range reverts back to 0-1.000. Not previously knowing the limits I
                              experimented a bit!

                              Any comments on the apparent 10kHz > 9kHz offset change?

                              Thanks

                              Dave GW4GTE
                            • Christos Nikolaou
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                                As I said, there was a early upload with some button problems, try a
                                new download.
                                Also your question regarding the number has already been answered.
                                Please see the previous posts
                                -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/344

                                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "gw4gte" <Dave@...> wrote:

                                > HI Christos,
                                >
                                > You can put a number into the box over 1.000 if you edit the number in
                                > the box rather than wait for the up/down arrows to get there. I notice
                                > now since your reply that when you press an up/down arrow the number
                                > range reverts back to 0-1.000. Not previously knowing the limits I
                                > experimented a bit!
                                >
                                > Any comments on the apparent 10kHz > 9kHz offset change?
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > Dave GW4GTE

                              • gw4gte
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 22, 2009
                                  All sorted now - many thanks Christos and keep up the great work

                                  73
                                  Dave GW4GTE
                                • Chris
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 23, 2009
                                    I am very curious to see if this feature will be available to the
                                    sdr1k also?
                                    In the recent past sdr1k was (deliberately?) code excluded from
                                    similar improvements.

                                    73,
                                    Christos (sv1fxo)

                                    --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "R Bishop - W0CNN" <rbish@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <sv1fxo@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > A feature like this should have been implemented by the mighty Flex
                                    > > Radio Systems since the begining of PowerSDR development.
                                    > > Image rejection is a necessity and not a luxury in direct conversion
                                    > > transceivers.
                                    >
                                    > If I'm not mistaken, Bob McGwier (N4HY) and Eric Wachsmann already
                                    > started integrating new I/Q correction algorithms into the Production
                                    > PowerSDR codebase sometime last month. Expect to see this released
                                    > sometime in the near future.
                                    >
                                    > -Reid-
                                    > W0CNN

                                  • Jeff Kashinsky
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 26, 2009
                                      I too would like to see continued support for the SDR-1000 in this
                                      branch of the code.

                                      It appears that some of the SDR-1000 code is still active in 1.12.20.
                                      The parallel port still bandswitched the radio, it just doesn't
                                      control the frequency.

                                      If we could still have an option for SDR-1000 frequency control in
                                      addition to Softrock lpt and usb it would be greatfully appreciated.

                                      TNX,
                                      Jeff W2UA

                                      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <sv1fxo@...> wrote:

                                      > I am very curious to see if this feature will be available to the
                                      > sdr1k also?
                                      > In the recent past sdr1k was (deliberately?) code excluded from
                                      > similar improvements.
                                      >
                                      > 73,
                                      > Christos (sv1fxo)
                                      >
                                      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "R Bishop - W0CNN" <rbish@>
                                      wrote:

                                      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <sv1fxo@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > A feature like this should have been implemented by the mighty
                                      Flex
                                      > > > Radio Systems since the begining of PowerSDR development.
                                      > > > Image rejection is a necessity and not a luxury in direct
                                      conversion
                                      > > > transceivers.
                                      > >
                                      > > If I'm not mistaken, Bob McGwier (N4HY) and Eric Wachsmann
                                      already
                                      > > started integrating new I/Q correction algorithms into the
                                      Production
                                      > > PowerSDR codebase sometime last month. Expect to see this
                                      released
                                      > > sometime in the near future.
                                      > >
                                      > > -Reid-
                                      > > W0CNN

                                    • Jeff Kashinsky
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 26, 2009
                                        I guess that I should follow up my own post with the offer to
                                        actually fix the code.

                                        I am presently using C# in Visual studio 2008.

                                        If you can point me to the module(s) that need to be changed, I'll
                                        attempt the fix.

                                        Jeff

                                        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Kashinsky" <w2uajeff@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > I too would like to see continued support for the SDR-1000 in this
                                        > branch of the code.
                                        >
                                        > It appears that some of the SDR-1000 code is still active in
                                        1.12.20.
                                        > The parallel port still bandswitched the radio, it just doesn't
                                        > control the frequency.
                                        >
                                        > If we could still have an option for SDR-1000 frequency control in
                                        > addition to Softrock lpt and usb it would be greatfully appreciated.
                                        >
                                        > TNX,
                                        > Jeff W2UA
                                        >
                                        > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <sv1fxo@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I am very curious to see if this feature will be available to the
                                        > > sdr1k also?
                                        > > In the recent past sdr1k was (deliberately?) code excluded from
                                        > > similar improvements.
                                        > >
                                        > > 73,
                                        > > Christos (sv1fxo)
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "R Bishop - W0CNN" <rbish@>
                                        > wrote:

                                        > Flex
                                        > conversion
                                        > > >
                                        > > > If I'm not mistaken, Bob McGwier (N4HY) and Eric Wachsmann
                                        > already
                                        > > > started integrating new I/Q correction algorithms into the
                                        > Production
                                        > > > PowerSDR codebase sometime last month. Expect to see this
                                        > released
                                        > > > sometime in the near future.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > -Reid-
                                        > > > W0CNN

                                      • Christos Nikolaou
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 26, 2009
                                          Hi Jeff,

                                          The PowerSDR-IQ branch is targeted only to homebrew SDR designs.
                                          Code that is pertinent to SDR-1K from the original PowerSDR has been
                                          vastly altered.
                                          On the other hand, the continuing support of the SDR-1K falls under
                                          the umbrella of FlexRadio, and this is how I see it.

                                          IMHO you need to wait and see what Flex will deliver in the following
                                          days. There has been already an announcement from Gerald Youngblood in
                                          the Flex reflector sketching what comes ahead.
                                          If SDR-1K is left behind, then we will see what we can do about it.

                                        • hsdx@btinternet.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 3 12:27 AM
                                            wrote:

                                            > Hi,
                                            >
                                            > A new version with a long waited experimental image adjustment is
                                            > available.
                                            > This new version has an automated image calibration during reception
                                            > so no more phase/gain IQ calibration is required from the user.
                                            >
                                            > Effective Image Adjustment, EIA, is a button on the front console,
                                            > when activated during Rx can nullify the images without any
                                            > intervention of the operator. It is adaptive to every band and every
                                            > IF used and works with agile LO frequency control, not just with
                                            > center frequency.
                                            > In full viewable spectrum (192KHz) achieves more than 70dB of image
                                            > suppression.
                                            >
                                            > Download PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 Setup.msi from GoogleCode filelist
                                            > ->http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
                                            > or directly

                                            ->http://powersdr-iq.googlecode.com/files/PowerSDR-IQ%20v1.12.20%20Setup.msi

                                            Hi Christos,

                                            I got the software working with softrock V8.3 and ic2/avr. Is the
                                            tuning position fixed on the right side of the screen as I can only
                                            tune by right clicking on another area of the screen then left
                                            clicking on a ssb signal. When I do this the tuning is unpredictable
                                            and I never see the signal I was after. The other way that works is
                                            to increment the LO up or down. Can you can give me a tip on how to
                                            tune with the mouse?

                                            Well done, lots of controls....
                                            Steve
                                            2E0ZEH
                                          • Christos Nikolaou
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 3 3:57 AM
                                              Hi Steve,

                                              Lots of controls and lots of things to take care of :)

                                              It seems that your audio card is setup on 48KHz and this way your
                                              VFO-A passband is to the far right of the screen.
                                              You need to go to 96KHz in Setup->Audio
                                              Also you can move up/down the frequency with the mouse wheel and the
                                              step/size of adjustable on the top of the console.
                                              Finally you can dial in the frequency you want on the VFO-A box
                                              directly with the numeric keypad.