Re: Trouble starting HSUSB

  • w7rjc
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 20, 2008
      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@...> wrote:

      >Hi Christos,
      A new day and new successes .. I hope.

      I found the problem with the voltage listed in step 3 of the previos
      email. OPERATOR ERROR (shame on me)(embarassment)

      I am thinking that the HSUSB may be working ok.

      Given time today .. I will look at why powersdr is giving me a "not
      responding" message. I hope it is a poor down load or install. I had
      this happen once before on an earlier vesion 12.
      Ray W7RJC

      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@>
      > wrote:
      > >Hi Christos,
      >
      > Here is my step by step answer to your request listed below.
      > 1- I reinstalled the driver as you instructed.
      > 2- I checked it with USBview .. the "device conected" is HSUSB
      Device
      > 3- I then connected a voltmeter to H5 pin3 and found something
      that
      > I think may be a problem .. with the meter connected to pin 3 and
      > its ground lead connected to H5 ground it reads -2.46 volts.
      However
      > if I connect the meter ground lead to the USB board groung it
      reads
      > zero volts. I find this interesting since both grounds are the
      same
      > (according to the schmatic)
      > 4- I also started powersdr and ran it .. or tryed to.. after
      sveral
      > attempts at band changing it went to a "not responding" message.
      > 5- I then looked at USBview again .. all was ok
      >
      > I am going to look at the ground problem tommorow .. given time
      that
      > is .. hope this helps. Ray W7RJC
      > > Ray,
      > >
      > > Ok, that exclamation mark means that there is a problem and it
      > cannot
      > > correctly work with the device.
      > >
      > > I propose you to
      > > 1.Write click on the usb device with the exclamation (make sure
      > that
      > > it is for the HSUSB board) and select "Uninstall" from the
      device
      > manager
      > > 2.Unplug
      > > 3.After a few seconds re-plug
      > > 4.when the found new hardware wizard comes up do not allow him to
      > > search the internet, tell him that you will provide the drivers
      and
      > > point him to the folder that contains the extracted files from
      the
      > > drivers zip file that you downloaded from powersdr googlecode
      side
      > > 5.if it will prompt you again to select which driver, select the
      > > bottom line.
      > > 6.After the succesfull install unplug and re-plug to check if it
      > is ok
      > >
      > > If all go well please tell me what is the exact string that is
      > > displayed next to "DeviceConnected:"
      > >

      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou"
      > <sv1eia@>
      > here is
      > > > my third message .. I forgot to say that preceeding the ..
      > Devive
      > > > connected .. was an yellow and black symbol. An excamation
      mark
      > > > think. What does that mean? Ray W7RJC

      Cypress
      > chip
      > > > has
      > PowerSDR-IQ.
      > > > says "DeviceConnected:"

      > IQ
      > > > then

      > the
      > > > complaints.
      H4
      > or
      > > > pin 6
      > pin
      > installation
      > > > over
      > problem
      > > > or a
      > you
      > > > have

      > the
      > > > solving

      > > > trouble...
      > > > UsbView
      > > > connected

      > on
      > > > your

      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dds_controller/message/3516
      > > > solving

      > the

      > dong-
      > > > ding-

      > > > from a

      > it
      > > > have
      > device
      > > > list
      > exclamation,
      > > > then
      > the

      > of
      > > > the
      > present
      > > > and

      > > > think
      > on
      > > > the

    • Christos Nikolaou
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 20, 2008
        Ray,

        Mistakes are the ingredients of improvement!

      • w7rjc
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 20, 2008
          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
          wrote:
          Hi Christos,
          >What you said must be true (Mistakes are the ingredients of
          improvement!) I've had some success today. Here's what I did.
          1- put my brain in gear!
          2- Removed the driver and powersdr from the shop computer.
          3- Reloaded the LATEST driver. tested with UBSview .. all looked
          good. This is the first time it went exactly as you described!
          4- Then I loaded the LATEST powersdr with Loop.
          5- I tested it as you suggested (H4 pin 3).. went real well Lo on
          recv ... Hi on xmt.
          6- I then tryed some band switching .. I didn't have quit as much
          good luck here. I often had to reboot powersdr to get the band to
          change. It never would change more than one time before I had to
          reboot powersdr to get it to reply properly.
          Could it be caused by the fact that this computer has slooooow usb
          ports in it.
          I have not connected a radio yet, I think I'll start on the cable
          building process.
          I've had a better day today .. hope you have also! Ray W7RJC

        • Christos Nikolaou
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 20, 2008
            Ray,

            You are right on the speed of usb port from pc. You need to have a USB2.

            Either way that can be rectified (hopefully) if you go to
            Setup->General->Options and check the "Disable PTT"

            This way it will still transmit from MOX but an external PTT will not.

          • w7rjc
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 21, 2008
              wrote:
              >Hi Christos,
              All is well on the HSUSB front here in Idaho. Got the cables made
              and will hook it to the RxTX Multiband 8010 tomorrow or Thusday. Got
              a couple of other thing to do to the mutiband also.
              When I get time to take some notes I have some questions about some
              of the fuctions in the "expert" box of Powersdr.
              I think this HSUSB is going to be just great. Thanks for you help
              and patience in helping me get it going. Ray W7RJC
              PS: What do you think of the UHF project Dave is working on .. A 2m
              RX might be fun. 73

            • brainerd@wildblue.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 21, 2008
                On 22 Oct 2008 at 2:57, w7rjc wrote:

                > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
                > wrote:
                > >Hi Christos,
                > All is well on the HSUSB front here in Idaho. Got the cables made
                > and will hook it to the RxTX Multiband 8010 tomorrow or Thusday. Got
                > a couple of other thing to do to the mutiband also.
                > When I get time to take some notes I have some questions about some
                > of the fuctions in the "expert" box of Powersdr.
                > I think this HSUSB is going to be just great. Thanks for you help
                > and patience in helping me get it going. Ray W7RJC
                > PS: What do you think of the UHF project Dave is working on .. A 2m
                > RX might be fun. 73
                > > Ray,
                > >
                > > You are right on the speed of usb port from pc. You need to have a
                > USB2.
                > >
                > > Either way that can be rectified (hopefully) if you go to
                > > Setup->General->Options and check the "Disable PTT"
                > >
                > > This way it will still transmit from MOX but an external PTT will
                > not.

                Ray:
                Do you ever get on the Farm Net. It is on 3937 KHz at 0200Z and covers the Northwest.
                Many of the net controls are in the Boise area. Sometimes a propagation problem between
                there and here(Kooskia) in the winter.

                Dave - WB6DHW
                <http://wb6dhw.com>
              • Christos Nikolaou
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 22, 2008
                  Good news Ray,

                  Regarding UHFSDR, Dave knows already that PowerSDR-IQ is already
                  modified for it and it goes beyond the limitation of 60MHz even today.