Re: Trouble starting HSUSB

  • w7rjc
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
      wrote:
      >Hi Christos,

      Here is my step by step answer to your request listed below.
      1- I reinstalled the driver as you instructed.
      2- I checked it with USBview .. the "device conected" is HSUSB Device
      3- I then connected a voltmeter to H5 pin3 and found something that
      I think may be a problem .. with the meter connected to pin 3 and
      its ground lead connected to H5 ground it reads -2.46 volts. However
      if I connect the meter ground lead to the USB board groung it reads
      zero volts. I find this interesting since both grounds are the same
      (according to the schmatic)
      4- I also started powersdr and ran it .. or tryed to.. after sveral
      attempts at band changing it went to a "not responding" message.
      5- I then looked at USBview again .. all was ok

      I am going to look at the ground problem tommorow .. given time that
      is .. hope this helps. Ray W7RJC
      > Ray,
      >
      > Ok, that exclamation mark means that there is a problem and it
      cannot
      > correctly work with the device.
      >
      > I propose you to
      > 1.Write click on the usb device with the exclamation (make sure
      that
      > it is for the HSUSB board) and select "Uninstall" from the device
      manager
      > 2.Unplug
      > 3.After a few seconds re-plug
      > 4.when the found new hardware wizard comes up do not allow him to
      > search the internet, tell him that you will provide the drivers and
      > point him to the folder that contains the extracted files from the
      > drivers zip file that you downloaded from powersdr googlecode side
      > 5.if it will prompt you again to select which driver, select the
      > bottom line.
      > 6.After the succesfull install unplug and re-plug to check if it
      is ok

      > If all go well please tell me what is the exact string that is
      > displayed next to "DeviceConnected:"
      >

      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou"
      <sv1eia@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >Hi Christos .. they say the third time and your out .. well
      here is
      > > my third message .. I forgot to say that preceeding the ..
      Devive
      > > connected .. was an yellow and black symbol. An excamation mark
      > > think. What does that mean? Ray W7RJC
      > >

      > > > Hi Ray,
      > > >
      > > > The idvendor and idproduct numbers are correct and it is a good
      > > > indication.
      > > > These mean that you have installed the driver and the Cypress
      chip
      > > has
      > > > re-enumerated on the usb bus with its new identity.
      > > > By the way this driver is the previous one. I've just uploaded
      > > > yesterday the new one together with the new version of
      PowerSDR-IQ.
      > > > Please report what is name on usbview where it
      > > says "DeviceConnected:"
      > > >
      > > > If you have no complaints during enablement of HSUSB on PSDR-
      IQ

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dds_controller/message/3516
      > > solving

      > > ding-

      > > from a

      > > have
      > > list
      > > then

      > > the
      > > and

      > > think
      > > the

      CyConsole ..
      > > It
      > > thing

    • w7rjc
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 20, 2008
        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@...> wrote:

        >Hi Christos,
        A new day and new successes .. I hope.

        I found the problem with the voltage listed in step 3 of the previos
        email. OPERATOR ERROR (shame on me)(embarassment)

        I am thinking that the HSUSB may be working ok.

        Given time today .. I will look at why powersdr is giving me a "not
        responding" message. I hope it is a poor down load or install. I had
        this happen once before on an earlier vesion 12.
        Ray W7RJC

      • Christos Nikolaou
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 20, 2008
          Ray,

          Mistakes are the ingredients of improvement!

        • w7rjc
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 20, 2008
            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
            wrote:
            Hi Christos,
            >What you said must be true (Mistakes are the ingredients of
            improvement!) I've had some success today. Here's what I did.
            1- put my brain in gear!
            2- Removed the driver and powersdr from the shop computer.
            3- Reloaded the LATEST driver. tested with UBSview .. all looked
            good. This is the first time it went exactly as you described!
            4- Then I loaded the LATEST powersdr with Loop.
            5- I tested it as you suggested (H4 pin 3).. went real well Lo on
            recv ... Hi on xmt.
            6- I then tryed some band switching .. I didn't have quit as much
            good luck here. I often had to reboot powersdr to get the band to
            change. It never would change more than one time before I had to
            reboot powersdr to get it to reply properly.
            Could it be caused by the fact that this computer has slooooow usb
            ports in it.
            I have not connected a radio yet, I think I'll start on the cable
            building process.
            I've had a better day today .. hope you have also! Ray W7RJC

          • Christos Nikolaou
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 20, 2008
              Ray,

              You are right on the speed of usb port from pc. You need to have a USB2.

              Either way that can be rectified (hopefully) if you go to
              Setup->General->Options and check the "Disable PTT"

              This way it will still transmit from MOX but an external PTT will not.

            • w7rjc
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 21, 2008
                wrote:
                >Hi Christos,
                All is well on the HSUSB front here in Idaho. Got the cables made
                and will hook it to the RxTX Multiband 8010 tomorrow or Thusday. Got
                a couple of other thing to do to the mutiband also.
                When I get time to take some notes I have some questions about some
                of the fuctions in the "expert" box of Powersdr.
                I think this HSUSB is going to be just great. Thanks for you help
                and patience in helping me get it going. Ray W7RJC
                PS: What do you think of the UHF project Dave is working on .. A 2m
                RX might be fun. 73

              • brainerd@wildblue.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 21, 2008
                  On 22 Oct 2008 at 2:57, w7rjc wrote:

                  > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >Hi Christos,
                  > All is well on the HSUSB front here in Idaho. Got the cables made
                  > and will hook it to the RxTX Multiband 8010 tomorrow or Thusday. Got
                  > a couple of other thing to do to the mutiband also.
                  > When I get time to take some notes I have some questions about some
                  > of the fuctions in the "expert" box of Powersdr.
                  > I think this HSUSB is going to be just great. Thanks for you help
                  > and patience in helping me get it going. Ray W7RJC
                  > PS: What do you think of the UHF project Dave is working on .. A 2m
                  > RX might be fun. 73
                  > > Ray,
                  > >
                  > > You are right on the speed of usb port from pc. You need to have a
                  > USB2.
                  > >
                  > > Either way that can be rectified (hopefully) if you go to
                  > > Setup->General->Options and check the "Disable PTT"
                  > >
                  > > This way it will still transmit from MOX but an external PTT will
                  > not.

                  Ray:
                  Do you ever get on the Farm Net. It is on 3937 KHz at 0200Z and covers the Northwest.
                  Many of the net controls are in the Boise area. Sometimes a propagation problem between
                  there and here(Kooskia) in the winter.

                  Dave - WB6DHW
                  <http://wb6dhw.com>
                • Christos Nikolaou
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 22, 2008
                    Good news Ray,

                    Regarding UHFSDR, Dave knows already that PowerSDR-IQ is already
                    modified for it and it goes beyond the limitation of 60MHz even today.