How Cw operation with PowerSDR 2.4.4/LimaSDR

  • ceesv10
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2014

      Hi there.

      For the record: I have the Lima SDR transceiver built and is controlled with PowerSDR software. According PowerSDR v.2.4.4,I have used the serial port of my PC to connect an external keyer.

      I am looking for someone with experience in CW operation with an external keyer, connected to the serial port of the computer. The manual gives a little information, but fails me to get it working.

      Maybe Christos can give me additional information ?

      I have access to:

      - a Begali keyer, how do I connect it and what are the settings in PowerSDR 2.4.4 ?

      - K42 Electronic keyer combined with de Begali. (Key Line to XCVR: Tip: Key; Ring: PTT; Sleeve: Gnd).

      73 from a rainy Eindhoven in Netherlans,

           Cees, PA3CVI

      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2014
        Cees,

        PowerSDR has its own keyer in software.
        (If you have the Lima, I think that has a PE0FKO firmware in it.)
        Try to see first, if by using the CW lines of Lima itself how they react to dot and dash keying.
        Then, alternatively, you can try to connect on serial but it has to be done according to the PSDR manual and sometimes its tricky based on the serial port that your pc has on board.

      • ceesv10
        Message 3 of 8 , May 10, 2014
          Yes Christos,

          PE0FKO the firmware is in it and the RX works fine.
          In addition I have installed the software according to the WB5RVZ.ORG - Documentation.

          Earlier this month I asked the designer of Lima (Bernd Wehner, DL9WB) or the lima directly is to drive without the Power SFDR to send CW.
          But he gave me the advice PWR SDR to do this via the COM port of a PC.

          I have read the manual of Power SDR but I do not quite understand what kind of keyer you should join. A "bare" Keyer or an electronic keyer such as K1EL

          Any electronic keyers do not explicitly Dits e Dots line to the transceiver, in this case asked by the serial port, of the PC or is this still to be set within PowerSDR ?

          Also, I don't know if you can use the internal keyer Power-SDR use with Lima or is that just for the FLEX-1000?

          I know many questions that arise partly from my ignorance, hi

          I am very curious how others have solved this and what configuration they use.
          Currently watching my Begali keyer me hopeful, hi

          73  Cees

          Message 4 of 8 , May 10, 2014
            Cees,

            As I said, PSDR has its own keyer implemented in software, thus a bare key or paddles should be connected.
            I advise you to first check and see how the keying is handled from the CW inputs of Lima.
            Be aware though that full QSK is not an easy thing to accomplish since Lima's slow relays in Rx/Tx transition, thus use semi-bake in the PowerSDR CW menu settings.

            Then after you try directly from Lima CW port and got it working, try to see if you can connect it to your serial port and the config required for it.

          • ceesv10
            Message 5 of 8 , May 11, 2014
              Christos,

              Just behind the Mother's Day celebration;  in the Netherlands, the mothers receive flowers from children, hi.

              Thanks for your information, and I think it's a good idea to address the matter structurally.
              I only have basic knowledge about digital applications, but with some study I hope it does come out.

              Nevertheless, I still hope I get responses from amateurs who have the problem (for me) already solved.

              73 Cees,  PA3CVI

            • ceesv10
              Message 6 of 8 , May 14, 2014
                Christos,

                I have spent many hours to figure out where things go wrong .
                In principle, the problem may be with PWRSDR output or it's the Lima that keying can not handle.

                To find out this, I total disconnected the Lima from the PC .

                The keyer settings according to:   Iambic - and - Break - In: Enabled   combined with the bare Begali keyer.
                The scoop output looks neat with a sine amplitude of  60 ppmV depending on the sound card volume setting.

                But with the headset is the result much less. What is the audio result:
                Only at very low speed keying ( 9 WPM ) are the dots and dashes acceptable, but the higher speeds are the dots sounding uncontrolled, and at higher speeds, sounding also the dashes are out of control.

                I have a lot of PWRSDR institutions tried unsuccessfully .

                In the above situation, the PWRSDR software and my soundcard participates in the generated output to the Lima .

                Regarding the soundcard, the main setup details :

                ASUS Xonar D1 , so an unsupported card
                Sample Rate : 192000, other values ​​are not affected .
                Buffer Size : 2048

                Also the sound card I have tried all settings.
                Note: results of the RX Lima are fine with this soundcard.
                The sound card I've bought on the advice of PI5EHV station, many of their SDR equipment works with this type of card.

                My tentative conclusion is that Lima is not the cause of this phenomenon , which noted that a connected Lima this uncontrolled characters neatly emits with about 2 watts HF

                But my goal, keying with Lima, is not (yet) reached Christos.
                I'd like your expert advice how do I find a solution after this conclusion.

                73 Cees

              • ceesv10
                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2014
                  Christos,

                  To complement the principal specifications of the Xonar:

                  ASUS AV100 High-Definition Sound Processor (Max.  192KHz/24Bit)

                  Analog Playback and Recording Sample:
                  44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz; 16/24bit

                  73 Cees,  PA3CVI
                • ceesv10
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 28, 2014
                  Hi there,

                  First, I am surprised that there are came so few responses  to my request for help. Maybe there are only very little amateurs who use the Lima tokeying with it, or I chose the wrong forum ?

                  The wiring diagram in the Power SDR manual did not nearly meet my expectations.
                  Both, the bare keyer as the electronic keyer,  the maximum speed of the internal keyer Power SDR was: 9 wrd / min.

                  So I had to find a better solution, which I found at PA3DZA, Martien.
                  I enclose a configuration diagram far as I currently use it with excellent results.

                  Most PCs today have no more  RS232 ports onboard.
                  I use the ES-U-B10/UC232R-10 butget converter with Windows 8.1, this works great and is easy to install.

                  Note: Not all USBtoRS232 converters are suitable for this application !