Soundblaster X-FI causes Blue Screen of Death

  • alpg49
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 20, 2014
      I'm using a Softrock with V2.4.4 for homemade radios on an XP.

      If I install the Soundblaster X-FI card as itself, I don't get enough audio out.  I've tried everything:  PA settings, Drive, VAC1 output... I can only run the softrock to about 400mw versus 1w, which I can get with adequate audio.

      I've found that if I install the card as a generic USB sound card, I can get plenty of audio, but I installed it that way recently, and I get BSoD every time I hit the "START" button on PowerSDR, even if that card isn't selected.

      Help!

      If I had a 1:3 audio transformer, it would probably fix the problem, but they aren't that cheap or easy to fine.

      -Al Gerheim, K1QN, 50 years in ham radio January, 2014
      All-QRP since 2012.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 23, 2014
        Al,
        If you can obtain ANY card that is "supported" by PSDR you will find
        that many of the the features of PSDR are then enabled.
        This will make operation MUCH easier.
        Using an unsupported card volumetric features within PSDR
        are not operative. Further, you will need a second "Card"
        maybe the one in your PC for AF out and AF in Though VAC
        can provide this for digital modes. The drive to the Softrock
        using an X-Fi or generic driver as Adjusted via: Control Panel/Sounds and audio devices/Audio/Sound Playback(select Card)/Volume
        this will open the volume control for the card in use.
        Alternately you might be able to right click the "volume" icon
        on the RHS of your task bar select and left click "open volume control" this will also open this feature depending how many cards are installed and how they are being driven.
        I have used X-Fi cards and they do have reasonable performance.
        BUT not being supported and not having 4 in 4 out capability
        made operation a nightmare at times.
        The use of a supported card allows the on screen volume functions of PSDR to be used. This is because PSDR communicates directly with the driver of the sound card and adjusts its in/outputs. When using
        an unsupported card all these 4 ins and 4 outs must be adjusted via windows and the set up is complex and unstable. Added to this when more than one "sound card" is installed conflicts can and do occur between the drivers. Note that when using VAC for digital modes
        select "DIGU" as the mode in PSDR and enable VAC this enables "TXGain" to be used.
        The Blue Screen of Death is most likely to occur when the wrong windows driver is installed or two drivers are installed and conflicting. When a supported card is used only one driver should be
        installed all others should be disabled and uninstalled.
        Regards Eric VK5ZAG licensed 1965 Kangaroo Island.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, <alpg49@...> wrote:

        > I'm using a Softrock with V2.4.4 for homemade radios on an XP.
        >
        > If I install the Soundblaster X-FI card as itself, I don't get enough audio out. I've tried everything: PA settings, Drive, VAC1 output... I can only run the softrock to about 400mw versus 1w, which I can get with adequate audio.
        >

        > I've found that if I install the card as a generic USB sound card, I can get plenty of audio, but I installed it that way recently, and I get BSoD every time I hit the "START" button on PowerSDR, even if that card isn't selected.
        >

        > Help!
        >

        > If I had a 1:3 audio transformer, it would probably fix the problem, but they aren't that cheap or easy to fine.
        >

        > -Al Gerheim, K1QN, 50 years in ham radio January, 2014
        > All-QRP since 2012.

      • Albert Gerheim
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2014
          have been using the unsupported card for two years and a wall ofcQRP awards  bsod probably caused by faulty hard drive  have low form factor pc and cant install internal cards that i'm aware of

          i need solutions that dont involve buying more stuff

          --
          Al Gerheim, K1QN
          Celebrating 50 years in ham radio!

        • Albert Gerheim
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 28, 2014
            I ran through all the volume settings in the PC and PSDR.  ... before I posted to the group.

            The problems I'm having occur only with my 2 Softrocks.

            I went with the conventional wisdom and got a "supported" SoundBlaster MP3+ card.  When I tried to setup PSDR for the supported card, it asked me to install asio4all.  I downloaded it, tried to install it, but it said something about not being able to open the install gui.  So I downloaded the beta version of asio4all, and it installed OK.

            Then the fun started.  When I use PSDR with the "SoundBlaster MP3+" drop-down item, the audio is so misrouted I couldn't figure it out.  The receive audio comes from parts unknown, and the transmit audio goes to the PC's speaker.  It's nice and loud, but I know I'll never work VK6 again that way.  If I use PSDR with the new MP3+ and the "unsupported card" drop-down item, I get the same results I had with the (unsupported) SoundBlaster X-FI.  (Not enough audio, and I get only 300-400mw out from the Softrocks.)

            In the meantime, I'm running my new Peaberry with no problems whatsoever on 80.  I'm shooting an antenna for 160M later this week.

            BTW, does anybody know of a good utility to check my PC's drivers?

            I told my wife I'm ready to quit ham radio and take up dog-sled racing.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2014
              The latest is, I can barely get 1W out on 15M, whicn should allow me to get KH6, which is my last state for a 1Watt WAS.  So, I can pursue the big goal.  However, I did this by setting PSDR for "unsupported" card, and I only get 400mw or so out of my 20,30,40M Softrock.

              When I set PSDR for the SoundBlaster MP3+ as a supported card, the audio is totally misrouted.  The receive audio is taken from "Idon'tknowwhere", and the transmit audio comes out of the PC speakers.  I removed and re-installed ASIO4ALL.  I suspect the problem is with ASIO4ALL, but I don't see any way to change any of its settings.  ... more research...

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2014
                Albert,

                As said many times, if you  want to have  something good, use D44 of FA66.

                One thing that you can try if you want, is to change the 'voltage' setting on the audio setup pages.
                If it is show 1.0 volts, reduce it to 0.7v, that will make the audio to be a bit higher regardless that you lower the value..
              • Albert Gerheim

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 30, 2014
                      I think the "GUI" enebles you to set up the Audio paths and levels but I really don't know that "card" at all.
                      Regards Eric VK5ZAG
                      SR6.3/MoBo4.3/USB2SDR/PSDR-IQ/5W 160=10m seamless.

                      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Albert Gerheim <alpg49@...> wrote:

                      > Hey! That voltage setting seems to do the trick. I ran it down to 0.5,
                      > and I can work JT65/9 simultaneously. I'll have to try my 40, 30, 20
                      > softrock, which had a bigger problem. THe problem on 15 is that higher
                      > audio frequencies get attenuated somewhere. So I can work with 0-3kHz OK,
                      > but if I try to work JT65+JT9 in WSJT-X, audio at 4kHz gets attenuated
                      > (yes, I checked the transmit filter). :-)
                      >
                      > I may have to run it waaaaay down to 0.2 or 0.1. We'll see...
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      >

                      > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Albert Gerheim <alpg49@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I had a D44, then bought a computer with low form factor which doesn't
                      > > accept the card. I gave the D44 away to someone in exchange for a donation
                      > > to Wounded Warrior Project. I used the unsupported X-FI card for quite
                      > > some time, then I had a disk crash, and had to rebuild the PC. At the
                      > > moment, I can work 15 at 1 Watt, and that's all I need for now.
                      > >
                      > > Yes, I've fooled with the voltage setting, as well as the PA settings.
                      > > PSDR produces more audio to compensate for the low "external" gains.
                      > >

                      > > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM, <sv1eia@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Albert,
                      > >>
                      > >> As said many times, if you want to have something good, use D44 of FA66.
                      > >>
                      > >> One thing that you can try if you want, is to change the 'voltage'
                      > >> setting on the audio setup pages.
                      > >> If it is show 1.0 volts, reduce it to 0.7v, that will make the audio to
                      > >> be a bit higher regardless that you lower the value..
                      > >>

                      > > --
                      > > Al Gerheim, K1QN
                      > > Celebrating 50 years in ham radio!
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Al Gerheim, K1QN
                      > Celebrating 50 years in ham radio!

                    • Conrad Farlow
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 1 2:57 PM
                        I have a few compatibility questions. I did a quick search and didn't
                        find anything obvious so apologies if any of this has been asked before,
                        I've been away a while....

                        Firstly I have just fitted a G4HUP Pan Adaptor Tap (PAT)in an Icom
                        IC7400 and shortly an IC756Pro and hope to an SDR-4+ from cross country
                        wireless and the 64.455 MHz 1st IF. My radio club has a Flex1500 in the
                        shack and I love the PowerSDR interface. Robert M0RCX another club
                        member has an SDR-4+ which has an Si570 so I think that it will work, at
                        least I get to try before I buy. Robert has also advance ordered the
                        Cross Country Wireless Sentry transceiver, which I presume will also
                        work with PowerSDR-I. I should add that I have a Delta -44, more on
                        this later.

                        Secondly I am building a fully adaptive polarisation 2m EME system with
                        6 Xpol yagis and I will be using the linkrf IQ+ dual RX system. This has
                        a pair of independent receivers driven from a common Si570BBB with the
                        VFO at 2 x unlike the softrocks which I know are at 4x. This system will
                        be on a different PC with a seperate Delta-44 card. The IQ+ uses the
                        PE0FKO USB driver to control the VFO.

                        The IQ+ may be seen here: http://www.linkrf.ch/IQ+.html

                        It is quite expensive but a lot of work has gone into phase balance and
                        keeping computer crud out of the RX, I also don't have time to build any
                        more than I already am doing. I would like to use the system with
                        PowerSDR-IQ when I am on terrestrial, during contests etc.

                        Also I have two SDR-4+ receivers fed from the pan adapters will
                        PowerSDR-IQ allow me to run both receivers in one instance of the
                        software as I have 4 inputs on the Delta44.

                        Finally how can I change the TX frequency of the radios to match the RX
                        frequency? Quite exciting prospects all this, I used Linrad back in 1998
                        so I am well aware of the benefits of SDR, it's just loads better now.

                        73

                        Conrad G0RUZ

                        North Wakefield Radio Club www.g4nok.org

                        ---
                      • conrad_g0ruz

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 3 2:12 AM
                            PSDR can use a 2 x local oscillator but the RX offset would need to
                            be programmed into the firmware that controls the Sis570 this
                            is usually 9KHz but can be changed.
                            73 Eric VK5ZAG