Re: RXTX 6.3 "running"!...but strange tuning behavior with PowerSDR_IQ

  • Christos Nikolaou
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 28, 2009
      Bill,

      As Ray pointed out, there is a link in Announcements in group's home
      page that points to googlecode, to the file repository
      -> http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@...> wrote:

      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Bill P." <k6acj@> wrote:

      > Hope I copyed it correctly. Ray W7RJC
      >

      > > Thanks, I didn't know this was a different version, I have the
      > version
      > > SR-40 (center freq scheme) but thats Ok, I'll use whatever works so
      > > I'll find and download the version PSDR-IQ and try it. I didn't
      > find
      > > support for the SR-40.
      > >
      > > I am using the USB Audigy 2NX and the 2004 firmware and drivers;
      > the
      > > Tony Parks I2C, RXTX V6.3, Lenovo X61 2.1Ghz Core2Duo, XP+SP3
      > >
      > > Where do I find the IQ version??? (note I have not checked the
      > files
      > > section yet) Thanks for the info ....
      > >
      > > Bill k6acj
      > >

      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Christos Nikolaou" <sv1eia@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Bill,
      > > >
      > > > I got to admit, I'm a bit confused.
      > > > Are you refering to a behaviour of PowerSDR IQ or SR40?
      > > > There are two versions and their way of transmit is quite
      > different.
      > > > I can try to assist you if you have PSDR-IQ but if you want help
      > on
      > > > the SR40 then there are not much I can do on this.
      > > > PSDR-IQ transmits as the SDR-1K whereas PSDR-SR40 not, it has the
      > > > 'center frequency' scheme.
      > > >
      > > > 73,
      > > > Christos SV1EIA

      > Tony
      > V1.9 from
      > the PSDR
      > correct CW
      > on RX
      > output and

      > SI570 on
      > SI570.

      > hooked on
      > this

      > latest

    • wnpauls
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
        I have the following:

        SR v 9.0
        SR RXTX 6.3
        USB2i2c
        Tony's bpf switching board
        hsusb
        Alex's "motherboard"

        SoundBlaster Live 24 PCI

        I want to use PowerSDR and eventually have a fully automated all band
        XCVR with a 20 PA and low pass filters.

        My rough plan:

        1. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24 and the SR v 9.0 and
        get that working properly.

        2. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24and the SR RXTX v 6.3
        and get that working properly for receive.

        3. Step by step get the 6.3 to eventually be fully PC controlled.
        (get hsusb working, then the motherboard etc in some reasonable order).

        To get started:
        a. What PowerSDR should I use(version and title).
        b. How to I set it up, and specifically how do I make the SoundBlaster
        Live 24 work with the v 9.0?
        c. If I get this far, I think I can go step by step to my goal.

        thanks,

        Paul K0ZYV
      • Christos Nikolaou
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
          Hi Paul,

          Quite a bundle there !!
          The sum of pieces as I see it, is quite capable to deliver what you ask.
          Some of them got actually duplicate functionality but that is not a
          problem. Assume that you have Alex's v3.6 mobo.

          One possible scenario is this combo

          ===A===
          SR RxTx v6.3
          PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.06
          Tony's BPF board
          HSUSB
          Soundblaster Live 24
          =======

          Another is this

          ===B===
          SR RxTx v6.3
          PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.06
          Alex's mobo
          HSUSB
          Soundblaster Live 24
          =======

          There is something that you need to be aware of and that is the LPF
          that's required for the Tx stages. In Tony's RxTx v6.3, there is
          dedicated PA and LPF for 4 zones but not auto switchable. In Alex's
          v3.6 mobo, I think that there is dedicated Tx PA auto switchable but
          no LPF for each.

          I propose you to start with the A combo and if that works then you can
          move to B.

          For now lets start with the Software installation steps

          ...1...
          Download and install the HSUSB driver that is residing in googlecode
          ->
          http://powersdr-iq.googlecode.com/files/PowerSDR-IQ_HSUSB_Driver.zip.zip
          It is a normal usb device installation (as normal a usb windows
          installation can be...)
          Only this driver can work with the PowerSDR-IQ.
          It contains special firmware for the CY7C68013A chip in order to have
          the functionality provided according to this document
          ->
          http://powersdr-iq.googlecode.com/fies/USB%20connections%20for%20PTT_CW_BPF%20control.pdf

          All the files contained in the .zip file are required and without
          modification.
          So when you start the installation process, extract the driver zip
          files in a folder point the 'found new hardware' wizzard to the folder
          you have extracted these files.
          If the wizzard do not start anymore automatically then you need to go
          to the device manager and perform an Update on the undefined (HSUSB)
          device or if it is already defined via another driver as usb device
          again do an update with the new drivers. After that proccess the
          device manager has to report a HSUSB SV1EIA device.

          ...2...
          Download and install the PowerSDR-IQ latest version 1.12.06 from here
          ->
          http://powersdr-iq.googlecode.com/files/PowerSDR-IQ%20v1.12.06%20Setup.msi
          In the installation steps you need to select that you have a Si570 SDR
          design and an unsupported audio card(that means it is not in the Flex
          list).

          The only things that you need are the PowerSDR-IQ HSUSB driver in zip
          file and the PowerSDR-IQ .msi installation file.
          Nothing else is required. No uStudio or other HSUSB driver that you
          might substitute some files

          Lets do a stop here and see if you can reach this point or if there
          are any issues or problems that need to be resolved and then we will
          proceed with the rest.

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "wnpauls" <pschumacher@...> wrote:

          > I have the following:
          >
          > SR v 9.0
          > SR RXTX 6.3
          > USB2i2c
          > Tony's bpf switching board
          > hsusb
          > Alex's "motherboard"
          >
          > SoundBlaster Live 24 PCI
          >
          > I want to use PowerSDR and eventually have a fully automated all band
          > XCVR with a 20 PA and low pass filters.
          >
          > My rough plan:
          >
          > 1. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24 and the SR v 9.0 and
          > get that working properly.
          >
          > 2. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24and the SR RXTX v 6.3
          > and get that working properly for receive.
          >
          > 3. Step by step get the 6.3 to eventually be fully PC controlled.
          > (get hsusb working, then the motherboard etc in some reasonable
          order).

          > To get started:
          > a. What PowerSDR should I use(version and title).
          > b. How to I set it up, and specifically how do I make the SoundBlaster
          > Live 24 work with the v 9.0?
          > c. If I get this far, I think I can go step by step to my goal.
          >
          > thanks,
          >
          > Paul K0ZYV

        • Schumacher, Paul
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
            Christos,

            Sorry to bother you, but this URL

            http://powersdr-iq.googlecode.com/fies/USB%20connections%20for%20PTT_CW_BPF%20control.pdf

            doesn't work.

            thanks,

            Paul L. Schumacher
            Prof, Computer Science
            Winona State University

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com<mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com>, "wnpauls" <pschumacher@...> wrote:

            > I have the following:
            >
            > SR v 9.0
            > SR RXTX 6.3
            > USB2i2c
            > Tony's bpf switching board
            > hsusb
            > Alex's "motherboard"
            >
            > SoundBlaster Live 24 PCI
            >
            > I want to use PowerSDR and eventually have a fully automated all band
            > XCVR with a 20 PA and low pass filters.
            >
            > My rough plan:
            >
            > 1. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24 and the SR v 9.0 and
            > get that working properly.
            >
            > 2. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24and the SR RXTX v 6.3
            > and get that working properly for receive.
            >
            > 3. Step by step get the 6.3 to eventually be fully PC controlled.
            > (get hsusb working, then the motherboard etc in some reasonable
            order).

            > To get started:
            > a. What PowerSDR should I use(version and title).
            > b. How to I set it up, and specifically how do I make the SoundBlaster
            > Live 24 work with the v 9.0?
            > c. If I get this far, I think I can go step by step to my goal.
            >
            > thanks,
            >
            > Paul K0ZYV

          • Christos Nikolaou
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
              Paul,

              It seems that the copy and past has a problem

              The downloads folder is
              -> http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list

              and from there you can download the PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.6 and the USB
              connections for PTT_CW_BPF control.pdf

              The home page of PowerSDR-IQ googlecode site is
              -> http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/

              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Schumacher, Paul"

              http://powersdr-iq.googlecode.com/files/USB%20connections%20for%20PTT_CW_BPF%20control.pdf

              Behalf Of Christos Nikolaou [sv1eia@...]
              > Sent: 01 February 2009 10:00
              > To: powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [powersdr-iq] Re: I need an "Elmer"! For setting up
              PowerSDR woth Soundblaster Live 24 and SR V 9

              "wnpauls" <pschumacher@> wrote:

              > > I have the following:
              > >
              > > SR v 9.0
              > > SR RXTX 6.3
              > > USB2i2c
              > > Tony's bpf switching board
              > > hsusb
              > > Alex's "motherboard"
              > >
              > > SoundBlaster Live 24 PCI
              > >
              > > I want to use PowerSDR and eventually have a fully automated all band
              > > XCVR with a 20 PA and low pass filters.
              > >
              > > My rough plan:
              > >
              > > 1. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24 and the SR v 9.0 and
              > > get that working properly.
              > >
              > > 2. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24and the SR RXTX v 6.3
              > > and get that working properly for receive.
              > >
              > > 3. Step by step get the 6.3 to eventually be fully PC controlled.
              > > (get hsusb working, then the motherboard etc in some reasonable
              > order).
              > >
              > > To get started:
              > > a. What PowerSDR should I use(version and title).
              > > b. How to I set it up, and specifically how do I make the SoundBlaster
              > > Live 24 work with the v 9.0?
              > > c. If I get this far, I think I can go step by step to my goal.
              > >
              > > thanks,
              > >
              > > Paul K0ZYV

            • Schumacher, Paul
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
                Christos,

                I got the hsusb driver to install, and PowerSDR-IQ installed and chose the SI570 and unsopported sound card.
                Everything seemed okay to this point. The HSUSB showed up as HSUSB SV1EIA.

                Paul L. Schumacher
                Prof, Computer Science
                Winona State University

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com<mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com>, "Schumacher, Paul"

                powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com<mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com>,
                "wnpauls" <pschumacher@> wrote:

                > > I have the following:
                > >
                > > SR v 9.0
                > > SR RXTX 6.3
                > > USB2i2c
                > > Tony's bpf switching board
                > > hsusb
                > > Alex's "motherboard"
                > >
                > > SoundBlaster Live 24 PCI
                > >
                > > I want to use PowerSDR and eventually have a fully automated all band
                > > XCVR with a 20 PA and low pass filters.
                > >
                > > My rough plan:
                > >
                > > 1. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24 and the SR v 9.0 and
                > > get that working properly.
                > >
                > > 2. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24and the SR RXTX v 6.3
                > > and get that working properly for receive.
                > >
                > > 3. Step by step get the 6.3 to eventually be fully PC controlled.
                > > (get hsusb working, then the motherboard etc in some reasonable
                > order).
                > >
                > > To get started:
                > > a. What PowerSDR should I use(version and title).
                > > b. How to I set it up, and specifically how do I make the SoundBlaster
                > > Live 24 work with the v 9.0?
                > > c. If I get this far, I think I can go step by step to my goal.
                > >
                > > thanks,
                > >
                > > Paul K0ZYV

              • Christos Nikolaou
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Ok Paul,

                  Now a test is required.
                  When you start PowerSDR-IQ although not yet fully configured you can
                  do some HSUSB pins test.
                  You need to connect HSUSB on a usb port (without a hub !!) and start
                  the PowerSDR-IQ and go to
                  Setup->General->USB->Check HSUSB Adapter
                  When you check the checkbox the program should not complain with a
                  messagebox, it should just put the checkmark there and thus enable the
                  HSUSB interface.
                  With this checkbox checked, and with nothing connected on the HSUSB
                  interface connectors you can enable/disable its pins.
                  Close the Setup window.
                  Push the Start button on top left corner of the PowerSDR-IQ console,
                  then the program should start although we have no audio configured yet
                  it will take some default setup on the soundcard, that is not in our
                  interest now, we'll check only HSUSB.
                  With the Start button pressed and turned yellow it will display Stop.
                  If you press the MOX button (it will turn yellow), pin 3 on connector
                  H4 of HSUSB has to go into +3.2Vdc, when you depress MOX pin 3 on
                  connector H4 of HSUSB has to go into 0Vdc.
                  If you press the band change buttons on the right side of PowerSDR-IQ
                  console, the pins 15,13,11,9,7,5 on HSUSB connector H4 have to change
                  state according to the (Value) value on
                  Setup->General->BPF/LPF page.

                  All these above are a very good test to verify proper HSUSB behaviour.

                  These are the main pins that HSUSB has to control your rig, there are
                  also the Si570 I2C dedicated pins 15,13 on HSUSB connector H2 but
                  these can be tested when you connect the Si570 itself in real operation.

                  Lets see how it goes up to here.

                  PS. Beware that you should not accidentally send more than 3.3Vdc to
                  HSUSB pins, I got two of them having burned out pins when I goofed
                  with a 12V wire...

                  <pschumacher@...> wrote:

                  > Christos,
                  >
                  > I got the hsusb driver to install, and PowerSDR-IQ installed and
                  chose the SI570 and unsopported sound card.
                  > Everything seemed okay to this point. The HSUSB showed up as HSUSB
                  SV1EIA.

                  > Paul L. Schumacher
                  > Prof, Computer Science
                  > Winona State University

                • Schumacher, Paul
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009

                    Christos,

                    Great,  I will start on it tonite.

                    Paul

                    <pschumacher@ ...> wrote:

                    > Christos,
                    >
                    > I got the hsusb driver to install, and PowerSDR-IQ installed and
                    chose the SI570 and unsopported sound card.
                    > Everything seemed okay to this point. The HSUSB showed up as HSUSB
                    SV1EIA.

                    > Paul L. Schumacher
                    > Prof, Computer Science
                    > Winona
                    w:st="on">State University
                    > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _

                    w:st="on">State University
> [...]
                    band
                    > > > XCVR with a 20 PA and low pass filters.
                    > > >
                    > > > My rough plan:
                    > > >
                    > > > 1. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24 and the SR v
                    9.0 and
                    > > > get that working properly.
                    > > >
                    > > > 2. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24and the SR RXTX
                    v 6.3
                    > > > and get that working properly for receive.
                    > > >
                    > > > 3. Step by step get the 6.3 to eventually be fully PC
                    controlled.
                    > > > (get hsusb working, then the motherboard etc in some reasonable
                    > > order).
                    > > >
                    > > > To get started:
                    > > > a. What PowerSDR should I use(version and title).
                    > > > b. How to I set it up, and specifically how do I make the
                    SoundBlaster
                    > > > Live 24 work with the v 9.0?
                    > > > c. If I get this far, I think I can go step by step to my goal.

                  • Schumacher, Paul
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Christos,

                      The hsusb tests looked good ... the pins tested 3.3 volts as described. A few other pins on other connectors were at 3.3 volts too.

                      I think we are ready to proceed to the next test.

                      Paul L. Schumacher
                      Prof, Computer Sciencehttps://email.winona.edu/owa/?ae=PreFormAction&t=IPM.Note&a=Reply&id=RgAAAAB%2bRJvFvfMNTq6c9InAyA8gBwAXrlWyOgtiQI9qR2mOAzwCAAAAWiWQAADdUMlyzHOtR6pWKjMRlOn1AADcmqprAAAJ#
                      Winona State University

                      [powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com<mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com>] On

                      powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com<mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "wnpauls" <pschumacher@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I have the following:
                      > > >
                      > > > SR v 9.0
                      > > > SR RXTX 6.3
                      > > > USB2i2c
                      > > > Tony's bpf switching board
                      > > > hsusb
                      > > > Alex's "motherboard"
                      > > >
                      > > > SoundBlaster Live 24 PCI
                      > > >
                      > > > I want to use PowerSDR and eventually have a fully automated all
                      band
                      > > > XCVR with a 20 PA and low pass filters.
                      > > >
                      > > > My rough plan:
                      > > >
                      > > > 1. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24 and the SR v
                      9.0 and
                      > > > get that working properly.
                      > > >
                      > > > 2. Set up PowerSDR with the SoundBlaster Live 24and the SR RXTX

                      v 6.3
                      > > > and get that working properly for receive.
                      > > >
                      > > > 3. Step by step get the 6.3 to eventually be fully PC controlled.
                      > > > (get hsusb working, then the motherboard etc in some reasonable
                      > > order).
                      > > >
                      > > > To get started:
                      > > > a. What PowerSDR should I use(version and title).
                      > > > b. How to I set it up, and specifically how do I make the
                      SoundBlaster
                      > > > Live 24 work with the v 9.0?
                      > > > c. If I get this far, I think I can go step by step to my goal.
                      > > >
                      > > > thanks,
                      > > >
                      > > > Paul K0ZYV

                    • Christos Nikolaou
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
                        Paul,

                        Looks like good news.

                        Now the next step I guess is the wiring of the components.
                        I've checked again the parts you have available and came to conclusion
                        that the solution B is more appropriate
                        ===B===
                        SR RxTx v6.3
                        PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.06
                        Alex's mobo
                        HSUSB
                        Soundblaster Live 24
                        =======
                        so the next step has to be the interconnections between softrock RxTx
                        v6.3, Alex's mobo and HSUSB interface.

                        I assume (correct me if otherwise) that you know how to put together
                        the softrock,the mobo and the Rx single band BPFs on the mobo.

                        The part that needs attention is connections of the HSUSB, the Si570's
                        SCA SDA pins, the filter control data and PTT.

                        So I'll give you the equivalence of HSUSB pins interface

                        LO generation Si570 I2C conections
                        ==================================
                        HSUSB Connector H2 Pin 15 goes directly to juction of Si570 pin 7 and
                        resistor R42 (SDA).
                        HSUSB Connector H2 Pin 13 goes directly to juction of Si570 pin 8 and
                        resistor R41 (SCL).

                        PTT to softrock
                        ===============
                        HSUSB Connector H4 Pin 3 goes to PTT IN of softrock.

                        Filter (mobo) control
                        =====================
                        HSUSB Connector H4 Pin 15 goes to Alex's mobo connector P7 (Band
                        Select) pin 1.
                        HSUSB Connector H4 Pin 13 goes to Alex's mobo connector P7 (Band
                        Select) pin 2.

                        Ground connections assumed to be on a common metallic surface.

                        Regarding the filter control, the required settings for PowerSDR-IQ on
                        Setup->General->BPF/LPF page have to be

                        Band Value
                        160m 0
                        80m 1
                        60m 1
                        40m 1
                        30m 2
                        20m 2
                        17m 2
                        15m 3
                        12m 3
                        10m 3

                        After these connections, you can do a connectivity test and verify if
                        the mobo and the BPFs are performing properly. You can connect a
                        simple multimeter on the resistance 0-200 Ohm scale between the mobo's
                        Ant connector and each of P3.pin1/P4.pin1/P5.pin1/P6.pin1.
                        Start PowerSDR-IQ, select HSUSB (if not already) and press the Start
                        button. After that, by pressing the Bands buttons you should see the
                        FST3253s changing connections between Ant and P3/P4/P5/P6 accordingly.
                        Resistance will be ~5Ohm if the filter is selected and some 10MOhm if
                        deselected. Verify that the selected band correlate to the proper BPF
                        position on the mobo. The same can be done for the mobo connector K2
                        with the K1/K3/K4/K5 connectors.

                        <pschumacher@...> wrote:

                        > Christos,
                        >
                        > The hsusb tests looked good ... the pins tested 3.3 volts as
                        described. A few other pins on other connectors were at 3.3 volts too.

                        > I think we are ready to proceed to the next test.
                        >
                        > Paul L. Schumacher
                        > Prof, Computer
                        Sciencehttps://email.winona.edu/owa/?ae=PreFormAction&t=IPM.Note&a=Reply&id=RgAAAAB%2bRJvFvfMNTq6c9InAyA8gBwAXrlWyOgtiQI9qR2mOAzwCAAAAWiWQAADdUMlyzHOtR6pWKjMRlOn1AADcmqprAAAJ#
                        > Winona State University

                      • wnpauls
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 13, 2009
                          Hi Christos,

                          I am back ... I have caught up at work, so tomorrow I will proceed
                          with the checks.

                          Question, I am using the HSUSB, should I remove the Tiny PIC chip, or
                          doesn't it matter?

                          I will report the tests as soon as I get them completed.

                          Paul K0ZYV

                          <pschumacher@...> wrote:

                          > Christos,
                          >
                          > The hsusb tests looked good ... the pins tested 3.3 volts as
                          described. A few other pins on other connectors were at 3.3 volts too.

                          > I think we are ready to proceed to the next test.
                          >
                          > Paul L. Schumacher
                          > Prof, Computer
                          Sciencehttps://email.winona.edu/owa/?ae=PreFormAction&t=IPM.Note&a=Reply&id=RgAAAAB%2bRJvFvfMNTq6c9InAyA8gBwAXrlWyOgtiQI9qR2mOAzwCAAAAWiWQAADdUMlyzHOtR6pWKjMRlOn1AADcmqprAAAJ#
                          > Winona State University

                        • Christos Nikolaou
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 14, 2009
                            Hi Paul,

                            The only connection affected to the Tiny is the I2C of Si570 which is
                            an open collector by definition so it should not be a problem if you
                            leave it there.

                          • wnpauls
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 18, 2009
                              Good evening Christos,

                              I completed the checks on the Motherboard, and the switching is
                              working okay.

                              Shall we proceed to the next step?

                              thanks,

                              Paul K0ZYV

                              wrote:

                              > Hi Paul,
                              >
                              > The only connection affected to the Tiny is the I2C of Si570 which is
                              > an open collector by definition so it should not be a problem if you
                              > leave it there.

                              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "wnpauls" <pschumacher@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Christos,
                              > >
                              > > I am back ... I have caught up at work, so tomorrow I will proceed
                              > > with the checks.
                              > >
                              > > Question, I am using the HSUSB, should I remove the Tiny PIC chip, or
                              > > doesn't it matter?
                              > >
                              > > I will report the tests as soon as I get them completed.
                              > >
                              > > Paul K0ZYV
                              > >
                              > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Schumacher, Paul"
                              > > <pschumacher@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Christos,
                              > > >
                              > > > The hsusb tests looked good ... the pins tested 3.3 volts as
                              > > described. A few other pins on other connectors were at 3.3 volts
                              too.

                              > > > I think we are ready to proceed to the next test.
                              > > >
                              > > > Paul L. Schumacher
                              > > > Prof, Computer

                              Sciencehttps://email.winona.edu/owa/?ae=PreFormAction&t=IPM.Note&a=Reply&id=RgAAAAB%2bRJvFvfMNTq6c9InAyA8gBwAXrlWyOgtiQI9qR2mOAzwCAAAAWiWQAADdUMlyzHOtR6pWKjMRlOn1AADcmqprAAAJ#
                              > > > Winona State University

                            • Christos Nikolaou
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
                                Hi Paul,

                                I guess that you refer to the tests from this post
                                -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/311
                                as being succesfull and that is a very good sign.

                                That means you have completed the cabling and connections and now you
                                have setup the hardware part having 4 BPFs for Rx and 4 PAs for Tx
                                (still needing some LPF for each Tx band)
                                Also you have connected the Si570 control.

                                For the LO (Si570) you can have a test by using a frequency counter.
                                When you powerup the board and start PowerSDR-IQ having all control
                                connections in place and checked the HSUSB checkbox, you can measure
                                on Si570 output the generated signal. It has to be 4 times the
                                frequency of the VFO A and to follow all frequency changes.
                                So if you dial 10MHz in VFO A, you have to see 40MHz in your frequency
                                counter device. If all are ok and the frequency is changing by dialing
                                in the VFO A, there has to be a difference in the 4xLO and the Si570
                                frequency readout. That is due to the IF used (9KHz) and the clock
                                calibration required. Both of these can be checked later.
                                The critical part is to see Si570 frequency changes with VFO A change.

                                Now the next step if all these are performing properly is the audio
                                setup.

                                Although I could guide you step by step up to here, the specific audio
                                card is not in my shack so I have to be a bit generic here.

                                First we will try to setup the card as simple as it can be with
                                minimum frame rate and maximum buffer sizes.

                                That should be done from Setup->Audio page.
                                In there you have to select the driver, MME is a generic one from MS
                                and can be used, but your card might have a dedicated ASIO driver or
                                something specific.

                                Input is the Line-In in general whereas from this port your rig will
                                send IQ Rx to PowerSDR.
                                Output is the Line-Out and this will be used to send IQ Tx to your rig.
                                Left and right channel might need manual switch of the ring-tip
                                connection in order to have proper LSB/USB orientation in both Rx/Tx
                                Line-In/Line-Out.

                                Receive is the audio output, speakers or headphones that will be used
                                for you to listen the produced demodulated audio.
                                And Transmit is the microphone input that will be utilized for voice
                                Tx SSB/AM/FM.

                                So, Input and Output are dealing with the IQ on the rig, whereas
                                Transmit and Receive are for the normal audio Rx and Tx.
                                Usually this is something that new users are mixing up.

                                Next you should set the sample rate to the minimum 48000 and buffers
                                to maximum 2048 so the system will not be stressed initially. If these
                                work then we can gradually increase them to have larger portion of
                                bandwidth displayed with larger sample rate and more real time
                                responsiveness with less buffer size.

                                If this works then you should be able to hear a noise/sound on your
                                speakers.

                                As I have not prior setup this card, lets see how it goes up to here.