powersdr 2.4.4 with my Ensemble RXTX Low RF output

  • davesbigharley
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013

      I have powersdr 2.4.4  with my Ensemble RXTX and when I use tune I get

      a full 1 watt when I go to ssb I can only get about .45 Watt out what

       o I need to do to get my 1 watt in ssb mode.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013
        You do not indicate what "sound card" you are using.
        Many sound cards will not drive the softrocks to full output.
        Some can easily overdrive them.
        Look at the RMS voltage being applied to the SR input.
        Should absolute max out at 2V RMS average 1V RMS.
        Many power meters are not accurate at low power levels
        and wide band transmissions will show lower power than CW.
        SSB about 1/2 of CW for most.
        Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG
      • yannick.devos
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013

          Hi,

          In SSB, for 1W PEP with a 2-tone audio in, you should get around 0.25W average power, no more. With normal voice (no compression), 100mW average power on peak is expected.

          Having more is a sign you're overdriving your transmit chain.

          With a single tone signal (PSK31, RTTY, WSPR) you can have up to 1W but the linearity of the SoftRock is not good. I always keep mine below 500mW with WSPR. Going to 1W (3dB) will not bring you more spots and could degrage your signal to the point the result is worse...

          73,

          Yan - XV4Y.

          ---

          http://www.qscope.org/ (Online stats and charts for Contesters, DXers and DXpeditioners).

          ---In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, <powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I have powersdr 2.4.4  with my Ensemble RXTX and when I use tune I get

          a full 1 watt when I go to ssb I can only get about .45 Watt out what

           o I need to do to get my 1 watt in ssb mode.

        • bill.bathgate