RE: [powersdr-iq] Re: PowerSDR-IQ and Ensemble II RX

  • Richard Mogford
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 29, 2013
      Dear NB0M

      Thanks for the information on sound cards.

      A couple of questions:

      1. Is it OK to use the Presonus Firbox device with a slide-in type (e.g.,
      ExpressCard) Firewire adapter card in a laptop?

      2. I am interested in the USB2SDR card, but don't know how to get one. I
      have tried emailing SV1EIA.

      Richard

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
        Hi

        Thanks for the information.  The second link below does not seem to work.

        How does one buy the USB2SDR?  I have emailed the creator of the card with no results so far.

        Richard
        On Sep 29, 2013, at 5:57 PM, ericwd9 wrote:

        The USB2SDR will sample at 192 KHz as supplied: See
        http://www.wb5rvz.com/usb2sdr/index.htm
        An upgrade will give still better dynamic range: See
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/files/USB2SDR%20HPADC%20/USB2SDR_AK5394A.pdf

        At this time a neat high performance "sound card" designed for
        SDR with a supporting version of PSDR-IQ that gives far more
        usability options (ie separate TX levels for each band.
        I found using the MoBo 3.4 160-10m in a transceiver a trouble free
        setup with all functions available via the GUI. Only the FA-66
        worked as well but was bigger and needed a firewire interface.
        I spent more than $2,000 on "sound cards" and have had most of them.
        specifically for PSDR-IQ the USB2SDR was the best of all. Apart
        from very good performance the support in PSDR-IQ for USB2SDR is
        an order of magnitude better in the version designed for the USB2SDR.
        On top of all that; the I2c control capability for the SoftRock series
        using the Sis570 is a great advantage. It has been my experience that
        the use of more than one connection between the SDR and the PC will
        almost always result in increased noise artifacts induced by loops
        in the connection infrastructure picking up QRM from the PC and
        attached peripherals. Some of this QRM can be wide band noise which
        looks for all the world like band noise but is simply An induced rise in the noise floor. The use of a single connection to the PC will
        almost always help or eliminate this problem

        Without Prejudice. 73 Eric VK5ZAG.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Marciniak, Ed" <elmarciniak@...> wrote:

        > Most of the problems with using two sound cards come from a failure to plan on having all channels running from a common clock or the software problems that result. Firewire '400' doesn't run exactly at 400 mbits a second but it does run at a multiple of 48000 Hz...specifically it runs at 8192x48KHz(393.216 MHz). It is possible to derive a common clock for all ports on firewire card, although I couldn't tell you which cards do implement that when they're "master" timing sources. USB devices running at 12 or 480 MHz have the disadvantage of not being able to share a common clock source unless you are using using an spdif clock source. For various reasons that is almost never a feasible topology. USB has the added disadvantage that the 12MHz clock tends to leak into the (usually inferior) ADC as either a DC offset or an alias at some other frequency depending on sample rate (notable exception are the TI chips that uses 250x instead of 250x division).
        >

        > There are Intel HD audio codecs that also decimate by 250 instead of 256 from a base clock of 24MHz. They tend to suffer from a lack of high end ADC chips and/or high noise pickup from being on a motherboard next to very high speed clocks.
        >

        > There is a reason the delta 44, FA-66 and firebox are also popular solution. They provide enough channels and just work. The creative emu-1212m would need additional channels via spdif plus mic preamp and headphone amp for a transceiver but makes has excellent ADCs. The creative emu-1820m is excellent but pricey (mine delivers something like 20.5 bits at 192KHz and 21.5 bits at 192 KHz at 48KHz). It has built in mic and headphone amps. The ADCS in the creative emu-1xxxm series are some of the best available and are even better than those in the above mentioned. For me the 1820m just worked with no special configuration required. I chose it for the 192KHz ADCs.
        >

        > The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).
        >

        > While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).
        >

        > In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.
        >

        > 73,
        > Ed
        > NB0M
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Marciniak, Ed
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
          I haven't specifically tested with a card. My laptop had firewire. I did have to replace some capacitors on the firebox.

          I would guess the 'card' just provides a firewire interface and cable.

          Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

          If you wish to transmit you will need 4 audio inputs and four audio outputs.
          One can use two "sound Cards" but my experience with this has always been
          problematic. Windoze often encounters conflicts with two sound cards. Also
          the way in which windoze handles sound introduces latencies that can be VERY
          annoying. Cards using ASIO drivers to some extent side step this problem. It
          is highly recommended to use a "supported" card when using any version of
          PSDR.
          The cheapest option is to look on ebay for a second hand "supported" card.
          There are a lot of Maudio Delta 44 cards around and you might get one for
          less than US$100. These supported cards have 4in and 4 out. PSDR is able to
          communicate DIRECT with the driver/card and then gives full volumetric
          control of the card via the PSDR GUI.
          The best of the commercial cards I have used is the Roland FA-66 this card
          uses a firewire interface the Delta 44 is a PCI card.

          The best option is Christos's USB2SDR which has VERY low latency by
          bypassing the windoze sound management entirely. Also the USB2SDR has
          ptt/keying and facilities to control the Sis570 through an I2c interface
          meaning one only USB connection to the PC. This cuts out a lot of looped PC
          noise from the receiver.
          Overall audio performance wise, The best is the FA-66 followed by the
          USB2SDR then the Delta 44. Realizing that the delta 44 itself is an order of
          magnitude better than the better industry standard cards.
          Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

        • Bill Blomgren (kk4qdz)
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
            The ExpressCard interface is the equivalent of a PCI bus device. It's fast.  The prosonus Firebox on that with the appropriate firewire adapter should be a good answer. (Or get a laptop with a firewire adapter)

            Note: if the Presonus needs power from firewire, it probably won't get enough from the laptop..   (I've been doing video and audio work with laptops for remote collection and editing for about 15 years now.. including full high def, and as fast as the express bus is, it still can't handle uncompressed video. -- but ANYTHING else just screams on it.)

            KK4QDZ - Now with Extra Class Priv's, and a tiny KX3 to enjoy them!

            If you wish to transmit you will need 4 audio inputs and four audio outputs.
            One can use two "sound Cards" but my experience with this has always been
            problematic. Windoze often encounters conflicts with two sound cards. Also
            the way in which windoze handles sound introduces latencies that can be VERY
            annoying. Cards using ASIO drivers to some extent side step this problem. It
            is highly recommended to use a "supported" card when using any version of
            PSDR.
            The cheapest option is to look on ebay for a second hand "supported" card.
            There are a lot of Maudio Delta 44 cards around and you might get one for
            less than US$100. These supported cards have 4in and 4 out. PSDR is able to
            communicate DIRECT with the driver/card and then gives full volumetric
            control of the card via the PSDR GUI.
            The best of the commercial cards I have used is the Roland FA-66 this card
            uses a firewire interface the Delta 44 is a PCI card.
            The best option is Christos's USB2SDR which has VERY low latency by
            bypassing the windoze sound management entirely. Also the USB2SDR has
            ptt/keying and facilities to control the Sis570 through an I2c interface
            meaning one only USB connection to the PC. This cuts out a lot of looped PC
            noise from the receiver.
            Overall audio performance wise, The best is the FA-66 followed by the
            USB2SDR then the Delta 44. Realizing that the delta 44 itself is an order of
            magnitude better than the better industry standard cards.
            Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                powersdr-iq-digest@yahoogroups.com
                powersdr-iq-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
              To obtain UBS2SDR See link.
              Christos is a very busy man be patient.

              Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013
                Hi guys,

                I have to jump in here, please accept my apologies for delaying ansering direct emails.

                I want to tell you why it takes so long to produce more of the USB2SDR boards or anything that has been additionally designed like the HPADC or the RxTx modules.

                Nowadays, as you probably know, the local situation here in SV-land is terrible and in financial issues its simply put, a show stopper.
                I guess you do understand that to produce/fabricate a DSP board does involve a good deal of funds.
                The previous batches of USB2SDR boards have been funded initially from my own funds and with a loan, now my own funds have been drastically limited and loans are simply non existent any more.

                Beleive me when I say that I do try to solve this and I hope that I have soon news for you.

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Marciniak, Ed" wrote:

                > Most of the problems with using two sound cards come from a failure to plan on having all channels running from a common clock or the software problems that result. Firewire '400' doesn't run exactly at 400 mbits a second but it does run at a multiple of 48000 Hz...specifically it runs at 8192x48KHz(393.216 MHz). It is possible to derive a common clock for all ports on firewire card, although I couldn't tell you which cards do implement that when they're "master" timing sources. USB devices running at 12 or 480 MHz have the disadvantage of not being able to share a common clock source unless you are using using an spdif clock source. For various reasons that is almost never a feasible topology. USB has the added disadvantage that the 12MHz clock tends to leak into the (usually inferior) ADC as either a DC offset or an alias at some other frequency depending on sample rate (notable exception are the TI chips that uses 250x instead of 250x division).
                >

                > There are Intel HD audio codecs that also decimate by 250 instead of 256 from a base clock of 24MHz. They tend to suffer from a lack of high end ADC chips and/or high noise pickup from being on a motherboard next to very high speed clocks.
                >

                > There is a reason the delta 44, FA-66 and firebox are also popular solution. They provide enough channels and just work. The creative emu-1212m would need additional channels via spdif plus mic preamp and headphone amp for a transceiver but makes has excellent ADCs. The creative emu-1820m is excellent but pricey (mine delivers something like 20.5 bits at 192KHz and 21.5 bits at 192 KHz at 48KHz). It has built in mic and headphone amps. The ADCS in the creative emu-1xxxm series are some of the best available and are even better than those in the above mentioned. For me the 1820m just worked with no special configuration required. I chose it for the 192KHz ADCs.
                >

                > The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).
                >

                > While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).
                >

                > In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.
                >

                > 73,
                > Ed
                > NB0M
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Richard Mogford
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013

                  Thank-you, Christos.

                  Is there any way we can help?

                  Richard

> [...]

                  > The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).
                  >

                  > While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).
                  >

                  > In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.

                • James Malone
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013
                    Is there a chance we can move the assembly and manufacturing here?

                    I do it for a living on small production run custom electronics.

                    Jim Malone
                    Wa3lbi

                    Sent from my iPhone