PowerSDR-IQ and Ensemble II RX

  • rchrdm4
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 23, 2013
      HI

      I have some questions about configuring and using PowerSDR-IQ and the Ensemble II receiver.  The installation and setup notes by WB5RVZ were very helpful.  I am trying to get some additional details on this.

      1. To install Micosoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, do you need to install the .Net Framework 3.5 and then the SP1?  Or is the .Net Framework 3.5 included in the SP1?

      2,Is it important to set the device type in "Hardware Config" to "Soft Rock 40"?

      3. How does the Freq Cal work?  (I looked at the manual, but was not clear to me.)

      Thanks.
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 24, 2013
        Subject: [powersdr-iq] PowerSDR-IQ and Ensemble II RX

        > I have some questions about configuring and using PowerSDR-IQ and the Ensemble II receiver. The installation and setup notes by
        > WB5RVZ were very helpful. I am trying to get some additional details on this.
        >
        > 1. To install Micosoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, do you need to install the .Net Framework 3.5 and then the SP1? Or is the .Net
        > Framework 3.5 included in the SP1?
        >
        > 2, Is it important to set the device type in "Hardware Config" to "Soft Rock 40"?
        >
        > 3. How does the Freq Cal work? (I looked at the manual, but was not clear to me.)

        I guess you are not going to use the latest PSDR-IQ? <https://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list>

        Information included.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • rchrdm4
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 25, 2013

          I have a progress report.

          I have been able to use PowerSDR v1.19.3.15 with the Ensemble RX board.  Is there some way to use PowerSDR v2.6.4 or some other newer version instead?

          I have tried installing v2.6.4 in place of the older version, but the Setup page in the software does not seem to be all there, and I cannot select my device.

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 25, 2013
            For Net framework refer to Microsoft "help" for your operating system.
            Softrock 40 settings are for the softrock 40 which has a crystal locked
            frequency range.
            Settings for the ensemble will be SDR1000.
            You do not indicate what sound card you will use.
            It is advised to use a "supported" sound card. In any case you will
            need a 4in 4 out sound card or two 2in 2out sound cards.
            The use of two unsupported cards will give you a number of
            headaches. Better to use a supported card.
            Frequency calibration is covered in a number of posts
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/2765
            Use CFGSR to calibrate Sis570
            > > 4. Apply the Calibrate method A first. You may find this sufficient.
            > > 5. Continue and follow the instructions in CFGSR Calibrate method B for fine
            tuning.
            Frequency calibration is not done via PSDR but by CFGSR a separate program to calibrate the SRs via the attiny firmware.
            Do search the Sites for your info and not expect others to do this for you. There could be a big learning curve here for you. I hope you persist and achieve success.

            Regards Eric VK5ZAG
          • Richard Mogford
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 26, 2013
              Alan

              I used the downloads in that folder and did eventually get it working.

              Thanks.

              Richard

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 26, 2013
                Thanks, Eric.  I got it working last night!

                Can you suggest reasonably priced sound cards?

                Richard

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 27, 2013
                  I reply to your query on sound cards.
                  If you wish to transmit you will need 4 audio inputs and four
                  audio outputs. One can use two "sound Cards" but my experience with this has always been problematic. Windoze often encounters conflicts
                  with two sound cards. Also the way in which windoze handles sound
                  introduces latencies that can be VERY annoying. Cards using ASIO drivers to some extent side step this problem. It is highly recommended to use a "supported" card when using any version of PSDR.
                  The cheapest option is to look on ebay for a second hand "supported" card. There are a lot of Maudio Delta 44 cards around and you might get one for less than US$100. These supported cards have 4in and 4 out. PSDR is able to communicate DIRECT with the driver/card and
                  then gives full volumetric control of the card via the PSDR GUI.
                  The best of the commercial cards I have used is the Roland FA-66
                  this card uses a firewire interface the Delta 44 is a PCI card.
                  The best option is Christos's USB2SDR which has VERY low latency
                  by bypassing the windoze sound management entirely. Also the USB2SDR
                  has ptt/keying and facilities to control the Sis570 through an I2c
                  interface meaning one only USB connection to the PC. This cuts out
                  a lot of looped PC noise from the receiver.
                  Overall audio performance wise, The best is the FA-66 followed by
                  the USB2SDR then the Delta 44. Realizing that the delta 44 itself
                  is an order of magnitude better than the better industry standard
                  cards.
                  Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

> [...]
                • Marciniak, Ed
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 28, 2013
                    Most of the problems with using two sound cards come from a failure to plan on having all channels running from a common clock or the software problems that result. Firewire '400' doesn't run exactly at 400 mbits a second but it does run at a multiple of 48000 Hz...specifically it runs at 8192x48KHz(393.216 MHz). It is possible to derive a common clock for all ports on firewire card, although I couldn't tell you which cards do implement that when they're "master" timing sources. USB devices running at 12 or 480 MHz have the disadvantage of not being able to share a common clock source unless you are using using an spdif clock source. For various reasons that is almost never a feasible topology. USB has the added disadvantage that the 12MHz clock tends to leak into the (usually inferior) ADC as either a DC offset or an alias at some other frequency depending on sample rate (notable exception are the TI chips that uses 250x instead of 250x division).

                    There are Intel HD audio codecs that also decimate by 250 instead of 256 from a base clock of 24MHz. They tend to suffer from a lack of high end ADC chips and/or high noise pickup from being on a motherboard next to very high speed clocks.

                    There is a reason the delta 44, FA-66 and firebox are also popular solution. They provide enough channels and just work. The creative emu-1212m would need additional channels via spdif plus mic preamp and headphone amp for a transceiver but makes has excellent ADCs. The creative emu-1820m is excellent but pricey (mine delivers something like 20.5 bits at 192KHz and 21.5 bits at 192 KHz at 48KHz). It has built in mic and headphone amps. The ADCS in the creative emu-1xxxm series are some of the best available and are even better than those in the above mentioned. For me the 1820m just worked with no special configuration required. I chose it for the 192KHz ADCs.

                    The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).

                    While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).

                    In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.

                    73,
                    Ed
                    NB0M

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 29, 2013
                      The USB2SDR will sample at 192 KHz as supplied: See
                      http://www.wb5rvz.com/usb2sdr/index.htm
                      An upgrade will give still better dynamic range: See
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/files/USB2SDR%20HPADC%20/USB2SDR_AK5394A.pdf

                      At this time a neat high performance "sound card" designed for
                      SDR with a supporting version of PSDR-IQ that gives far more
                      usability options (ie separate TX levels for each band.
                      I found using the MoBo 3.4 160-10m in a transceiver a trouble free
                      setup with all functions available via the GUI. Only the FA-66
                      worked as well but was bigger and needed a firewire interface.
                      I spent more than $2,000 on "sound cards" and have had most of them.
                      specifically for PSDR-IQ the USB2SDR was the best of all. Apart
                      from very good performance the support in PSDR-IQ for USB2SDR is
                      an order of magnitude better in the version designed for the USB2SDR.
                      On top of all that; the I2c control capability for the SoftRock series
                      using the Sis570 is a great advantage. It has been my experience that
                      the use of more than one connection between the SDR and the PC will
                      almost always result in increased noise artifacts induced by loops
                      in the connection infrastructure picking up QRM from the PC and
                      attached peripherals. Some of this QRM can be wide band noise which
                      looks for all the world like band noise but is simply An induced rise in the noise floor. The use of a single connection to the PC will
                      almost always help or eliminate this problem

                      Without Prejudice. 73 Eric VK5ZAG.

                      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Marciniak, Ed" <elmarciniak@...> wrote:

                      > Most of the problems with using two sound cards come from a failure to plan on having all channels running from a common clock or the software problems that result. Firewire '400' doesn't run exactly at 400 mbits a second but it does run at a multiple of 48000 Hz...specifically it runs at 8192x48KHz(393.216 MHz). It is possible to derive a common clock for all ports on firewire card, although I couldn't tell you which cards do implement that when they're "master" timing sources. USB devices running at 12 or 480 MHz have the disadvantage of not being able to share a common clock source unless you are using using an spdif clock source. For various reasons that is almost never a feasible topology. USB has the added disadvantage that the 12MHz clock tends to leak into the (usually inferior) ADC as either a DC offset or an alias at some other frequency depending on sample rate (notable exception are the TI chips that uses 250x instead of 250x division).
                      >

                      > There are Intel HD audio codecs that also decimate by 250 instead of 256 from a base clock of 24MHz. They tend to suffer from a lack of high end ADC chips and/or high noise pickup from being on a motherboard next to very high speed clocks.
                      >

                      > There is a reason the delta 44, FA-66 and firebox are also popular solution. They provide enough channels and just work. The creative emu-1212m would need additional channels via spdif plus mic preamp and headphone amp for a transceiver but makes has excellent ADCs. The creative emu-1820m is excellent but pricey (mine delivers something like 20.5 bits at 192KHz and 21.5 bits at 192 KHz at 48KHz). It has built in mic and headphone amps. The ADCS in the creative emu-1xxxm series are some of the best available and are even better than those in the above mentioned. For me the 1820m just worked with no special configuration required. I chose it for the 192KHz ADCs.
                      >

                      > The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).
                      >

                      > While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).
                      >

                      > In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.
                      >

                      > 73,
                      > Ed
                      > NB0M
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Richard Mogford
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 29, 2013
                        Dear NB0M

                        Thanks for the information on sound cards.

                        A couple of questions:

                        1. Is it OK to use the Presonus Firbox device with a slide-in type (e.g.,
                        ExpressCard) Firewire adapter card in a laptop?

                        2. I am interested in the USB2SDR card, but don't know how to get one. I
                        have tried emailing SV1EIA.

                        Richard

                        If you wish to transmit you will need 4 audio inputs and four audio outputs.
                        One can use two "sound Cards" but my experience with this has always been
                        problematic. Windoze often encounters conflicts with two sound cards. Also
                        the way in which windoze handles sound introduces latencies that can be VERY
                        annoying. Cards using ASIO drivers to some extent side step this problem. It
                        is highly recommended to use a "supported" card when using any version of
                        PSDR.
                        The cheapest option is to look on ebay for a second hand "supported" card.
                        There are a lot of Maudio Delta 44 cards around and you might get one for
                        less than US$100. These supported cards have 4in and 4 out. PSDR is able to
                        communicate DIRECT with the driver/card and then gives full volumetric
                        control of the card via the PSDR GUI.
                        The best of the commercial cards I have used is the Roland FA-66 this card
                        uses a firewire interface the Delta 44 is a PCI card.
                        The best option is Christos's USB2SDR which has VERY low latency by
                        bypassing the windoze sound management entirely. Also the USB2SDR has
                        ptt/keying and facilities to control the Sis570 through an I2c interface
                        meaning one only USB connection to the PC. This cuts out a lot of looped PC
                        noise from the receiver.
                        Overall audio performance wise, The best is the FA-66 followed by the
                        USB2SDR then the Delta 44. Realizing that the delta 44 itself is an order of
                        magnitude better than the better industry standard cards.
                        Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

                      • Richard Mogford
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
                          Hi

                          Thanks for the information.  The second link below does not seem to work.

                          How does one buy the USB2SDR?  I have emailed the creator of the card with no results so far.

                          Richard

                        • Marciniak, Ed
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
                            I haven't specifically tested with a card. My laptop had firewire. I did have to replace some capacitors on the firebox.

                            I would guess the 'card' just provides a firewire interface and cable.

                            Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

                            If you wish to transmit you will need 4 audio inputs and four audio outputs.
                            One can use two "sound Cards" but my experience with this has always been
                            problematic. Windoze often encounters conflicts with two sound cards. Also
                            the way in which windoze handles sound introduces latencies that can be VERY
                            annoying. Cards using ASIO drivers to some extent side step this problem. It
                            is highly recommended to use a "supported" card when using any version of
                            PSDR.
                            The cheapest option is to look on ebay for a second hand "supported" card.
                            There are a lot of Maudio Delta 44 cards around and you might get one for
                            less than US$100. These supported cards have 4in and 4 out. PSDR is able to
                            communicate DIRECT with the driver/card and then gives full volumetric
                            control of the card via the PSDR GUI.
                            The best of the commercial cards I have used is the Roland FA-66 this card
                            uses a firewire interface the Delta 44 is a PCI card.

                            The best option is Christos's USB2SDR which has VERY low latency by
                            bypassing the windoze sound management entirely. Also the USB2SDR has
                            ptt/keying and facilities to control the Sis570 through an I2c interface
                            meaning one only USB connection to the PC. This cuts out a lot of looped PC
                            noise from the receiver.
                            Overall audio performance wise, The best is the FA-66 followed by the
                            USB2SDR then the Delta 44. Realizing that the delta 44 itself is an order of
                            magnitude better than the better industry standard cards.
                            Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

                          • Bill Blomgren (kk4qdz)
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
                              The ExpressCard interface is the equivalent of a PCI bus device. It's fast.  The prosonus Firebox on that with the appropriate firewire adapter should be a good answer. (Or get a laptop with a firewire adapter)

                              Note: if the Presonus needs power from firewire, it probably won't get enough from the laptop..   (I've been doing video and audio work with laptops for remote collection and editing for about 15 years now.. including full high def, and as fast as the express bus is, it still can't handle uncompressed video. -- but ANYTHING else just screams on it.)

                              KK4QDZ - Now with Extra Class Priv's, and a tiny KX3 to enjoy them!

                              If you wish to transmit you will need 4 audio inputs and four audio outputs.
                              One can use two "sound Cards" but my experience with this has always been
                              problematic. Windoze often encounters conflicts with two sound cards. Also
                              the way in which windoze handles sound introduces latencies that can be VERY
                              annoying. Cards using ASIO drivers to some extent side step this problem. It
                              is highly recommended to use a "supported" card when using any version of
                              PSDR.
                              The cheapest option is to look on ebay for a second hand "supported" card.
                              There are a lot of Maudio Delta 44 cards around and you might get one for
                              less than US$100. These supported cards have 4in and 4 out. PSDR is able to
                              communicate DIRECT with the driver/card and then gives full volumetric
                              control of the card via the PSDR GUI.
                              The best of the commercial cards I have used is the Roland FA-66 this card
                              uses a firewire interface the Delta 44 is a PCI card.
                              The best option is Christos's USB2SDR which has VERY low latency by
                              bypassing the windoze sound management entirely. Also the USB2SDR has
                              ptt/keying and facilities to control the Sis570 through an I2c interface
                              meaning one only USB connection to the PC. This cuts out a lot of looped PC
                              noise from the receiver.
                              Overall audio performance wise, The best is the FA-66 followed by the
                              USB2SDR then the Delta 44. Realizing that the delta 44 itself is an order of
                              magnitude better than the better industry standard cards.
                              Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

                              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  powersdr-iq-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  powersdr-iq-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
                                To obtain UBS2SDR See link.
                                Christos is a very busy man be patient.

                                Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013
                                  Hi guys,

                                  I have to jump in here, please accept my apologies for delaying ansering direct emails.

                                  I want to tell you why it takes so long to produce more of the USB2SDR boards or anything that has been additionally designed like the HPADC or the RxTx modules.

                                  Nowadays, as you probably know, the local situation here in SV-land is terrible and in financial issues its simply put, a show stopper.
                                  I guess you do understand that to produce/fabricate a DSP board does involve a good deal of funds.
                                  The previous batches of USB2SDR boards have been funded initially from my own funds and with a loan, now my own funds have been drastically limited and loans are simply non existent any more.

                                  Beleive me when I say that I do try to solve this and I hope that I have soon news for you.

                                  --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Marciniak, Ed" wrote:

                                  > Most of the problems with using two sound cards come from a failure to plan on having all channels running from a common clock or the software problems that result. Firewire '400' doesn't run exactly at 400 mbits a second but it does run at a multiple of 48000 Hz...specifically it runs at 8192x48KHz(393.216 MHz). It is possible to derive a common clock for all ports on firewire card, although I couldn't tell you which cards do implement that when they're "master" timing sources. USB devices running at 12 or 480 MHz have the disadvantage of not being able to share a common clock source unless you are using using an spdif clock source. For various reasons that is almost never a feasible topology. USB has the added disadvantage that the 12MHz clock tends to leak into the (usually inferior) ADC as either a DC offset or an alias at some other frequency depending on sample rate (notable exception are the TI chips that uses 250x instead of 250x division).
                                  >

                                  > There are Intel HD audio codecs that also decimate by 250 instead of 256 from a base clock of 24MHz. They tend to suffer from a lack of high end ADC chips and/or high noise pickup from being on a motherboard next to very high speed clocks.
                                  >

                                  > There is a reason the delta 44, FA-66 and firebox are also popular solution. They provide enough channels and just work. The creative emu-1212m would need additional channels via spdif plus mic preamp and headphone amp for a transceiver but makes has excellent ADCs. The creative emu-1820m is excellent but pricey (mine delivers something like 20.5 bits at 192KHz and 21.5 bits at 192 KHz at 48KHz). It has built in mic and headphone amps. The ADCS in the creative emu-1xxxm series are some of the best available and are even better than those in the above mentioned. For me the 1820m just worked with no special configuration required. I chose it for the 192KHz ADCs.
                                  >

                                  > The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).
                                  >

                                  > While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).
                                  >

                                  > In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.
                                  >

                                  > 73,
                                  > Ed
                                  > NB0M
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • Richard Mogford
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013

                                    Thank-you, Christos.

                                    Is there any way we can help?

                                    Richard

> [...]

                                    > The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).
                                    >

                                    > While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).
                                    >

                                    > In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.

                                  • James Malone
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013
                                      Is there a chance we can move the assembly and manufacturing here?

                                      I do it for a living on small production run custom electronics.

                                      Jim Malone
                                      Wa3lbi

                                      Sent from my iPhone