Creative MP3+ Windows 8 64 bit question

  • rollerbald
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 5:13 PM
      Hello all:

      I built my Softrock Ensemble RXTX about a year and a half ago, and have been using it with no problems since then. After the usual sound card problems I sprung for a supported Delta 44 card and the problems disappeared. I have been using that setup successfully with my 64 bit Windows 7 desktop computer.

      I recently bought a Toshiba laptop running 64 bit Windows 8 and want to get the softrock running on that machine using a USB sound card. After downloading the latest PE0FKO driver, CFGSR and PSDR version 2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs I hookup up a Creative Soundblaster MP3+ USB sound card and opened PSDR. The sound card selection in PSDR setup shows the Sound Blaster MP3+ USB in the list, but when I select it I get a `Sound Blaster MP3+ (USB) not found' message. I tried searching the group messages for this problem with no luck.

      The Windows 7/8 driver for the MP3+ from the Creative support website was downloaded, and the board works fine when hooked up to speakers and a microphone exclusive of the Softrock. I am using the RCA line in and line out ports to connect to the Softrock.

      I am not having much luck when I use `Unsupported Board' – reminds me of the problems I had on the desktop before I installed the Delta 44.

      So, after all that I have a couple of questions:

      1. Can anyone provide any help on using the MP3+ USB on a 64 bit Windows 8 machine when selecting that `supported' board in the PSDR setup?

      2. If I can't make that work, are there any other USB devices that anyone has had luck with? If so, what are they? I have considered the USB2SDR, but if possible would like to stick with a device that I could use for music recording (another of my interests). The FA-66 will not work for me as the Toshiba laptop does not have a firewire interface.

      Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

      Bill, KC5SB