Re: Using two SDR radios with one iteration of PowerSDR-x

  • tomg3usa
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 21, 2013
      Any updates on when the software modification for full duplex might be available? Thanks.

      73,

      Tom K5VOU

      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tomg3usa" <t.gentry@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Tom,
      > > >
      > > > Yes, I understand the full duplex case that you mention.
      > > >
      > > > Since you are asking about USB2SDR on this, a single one can handle >full duplex already even today
      > >
      > > >but the s/w application is still pending to support it.
      > >
      > > Does this mean that PowerSDR-IQ is not suitable for this application?
      >
      > That means I just didnt modified PowerSDR-IQ yet for that case.
      >
      > PowerSDR itself is way more capable than this, its already being used on Flex's Flex5000 with two reparate (one TxRx and one Rx) and there are configurations and experiments having three receivers concurrently operating.
      >

      > > > That is of course pending on the rig used, eg stock EnsembleRxTx or >UHFSDR or similars are not designed to have full duplex, so you'll >need two rigs for that.
      > >
      > > Of course, that is why I specified two seperate EnsembleRxTx units in the example. But one will be in RX while the other is used for TX. I feel certain it the application needs an Si570 in each unit.
      > >
      > > > Also, USB2SDR can handle up to two additional independent >transceivers (the RxTx modules, -yes I know, they are also due to >come- ) connected on the on-board expansion connectors.
      > >
      > > I want to use the EnsembleRxTx units for the radios.
      > >

      > > > And all these are with a single USB connection.
      > >
      > > Best news yet> Thanks

      > > > Dreaming is good, its the driving force behind our efforts
      > > > :-)
      > > >
      > > > 73,
      > > > Christos SV1EIa

    • tom
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 21, 2013
        Christos,

        I am using PSDR V12.X with RXTX V6.3 and Mobo. I have a 1db difference
        between left and right audio channels. My image rejection appears to be
        around 28DB. Does the 1db difference account for the poor image
        rejection? I assume there is no way for me to adjust the software for
        the difference in db.

        Thanks,

        Tom
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 22, 2013
          Tom,

          Just some thoughts on your setup there.

          1 dB is within the range but after all why not try to find the cause of imbalance and make it equal?
          Also bear in mind that your rig might introduce some phase imbalance between I and Q which is not measured from ADCL/R (an o-scope is needed for that).
          Try very short length cables between rig and audio card.

          If you use the quite old v1.12 then there is a "EIA" button which stands for "Effective Image Adjustment" that enables the image rejection algo, yet it takes some time to see results. There is a coefficient number besides the button that also needs tweaking, it goes from 0.00 to 1.00 and the larger numbers are giving faster results with lower image rejection, whereas smaller numbers give slower results with higher image rejection.

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, tom <loeblt@...> wrote:

          > Christos,
          >
          > I am using PSDR V12.X with RXTX V6.3 and Mobo. I have a 1db difference
          > between left and right audio channels. My image rejection appears to be
          > around 28DB. Does the 1db difference account for the poor image
          > rejection? I assume there is no way for me to adjust the software for
          > the difference in db.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Tom

        • applewiz2000
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 22, 2013
            Hi Tom,

            A 1dB difference on some band or other (you don't say which you measured) is not unexpected. The amplitude difference varies across the 1 - 30MHz range.

            What you need to do is put in a pot to adjust your gain. Then use a sig gen at a mid HF (e.g. 15MHz) frequency to balance. You will find that above and below the balance drifts off though. While you are about it, reduce your overall gain on the SR V6.3 board. The stock gain is too high for modern sound cards.

            As to the image rejection of PSDR, the V2.5.x algorithm is better than the old V2 beta. But there is still the recurring bug where the rejection fails altogether after switching from Rx to Tx and back a few times.

            ~/Rob
            www.m0rzf.co.uk
          • tom
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 22, 2013
              Thanks Christos....EIA works great. Meanwhile I will look into why I
              have the difference between L and R...

              Tom

              On 6/22/2013 3:33 AM, sv1eia wrote:
              > Tom,
              >
              > Just some thoughts on your setup there.
              >
              > 1 dB is within the range but after all why not try to find the cause of imbalance and make it equal?
              > Also bear in mind that your rig might introduce some phase imbalance between I and Q which is not measured from ADCL/R (an o-scope is needed for that).
              > Try very short length cables between rig and audio card.
              >
              > If you use the quite old v1.12 then there is a "EIA" button which stands for "Effective Image Adjustment" that enables the image rejection algo, yet it takes some time to see results. There is a coefficient number besides the button that also needs tweaking, it goes from 0.00 to 1.00 and the larger numbers are giving faster results with lower image rejection, whereas smaller numbers give slower results with higher image rejection.

              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, tom <loeblt@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Christos,
              >>
              >> I am using PSDR V12.X with RXTX V6.3 and Mobo. I have a 1db difference
              >> between left and right audio channels. My image rejection appears to be
              >> around 28DB. Does the 1db difference account for the poor image
              >> rejection? I assume there is no way for me to adjust the software for
              >> the difference in db.
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> Tom

            • tom
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 22, 2013
                Hi Rob,

                Your amp is still humming away here and the 20 watts drives my SB220 to
                about 300 watts out.

                I saw some numbers on an old posting from Bob, g8voi, that stated that
                even a .4 db difference in the channels can degrade the image rejection
                to the low 30 db range, so I was a bit concerned. I am somewhere around
                25 db rejection at the moment.

                I thought perhaps I could insert a small pad in one channel to equalize
                the audio between the SR and the PC audio card rather than tearing into
                the Softrock but that may wind up being the only option.

                As Christos suggested, the PSDR V12.20 EIA button seems to work very
                well for me at the moment.

                Tom

                On 6/22/2013 10:04 AM, applewiz2000 wrote:
                > Hi Tom,
                >
                > A 1dB difference on some band or other (you don't say which you measured) is not unexpected. The amplitude difference varies across the 1 - 30MHz range.
                >
                > What you need to do is put in a pot to adjust your gain. Then use a sig gen at a mid HF (e.g. 15MHz) frequency to balance. You will find that above and below the balance drifts off though. While you are about it, reduce your overall gain on the SR V6.3 board. The stock gain is too high for modern sound cards.
                >
                > As to the image rejection of PSDR, the V2.5.x algorithm is better than the old V2 beta. But there is still the recurring bug where the rejection fails altogether after switching from Rx to Tx and back a few times.
                >
                > ~/Rob
                > www.m0rzf.co.uk

              • applewiz2000
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 23, 2013
                  Hi Tom,,

                  I don't think 0.4dB will make any difference. The algorithm (not that I have detailed knowledge of it) should be able to cope with small amounts of imbalance as one of it's major "raisons de etre".

                  It's a fair bet that the Flexradios do not always have <0.3dB amplitude match between I/Q channels across all HF bands.

                  I have not used PSDR-IQ V1.12 for years. The V2.5.2 version gets >40dB most of the time. Only Christos can really answer how good relatively the 1.12 rejection algorithm is compared to V2.5.x.

                  Excellent to see a product I designed in good use. Time will tell if the Mitsubishi RD16HHF FETs outlast the Heathkit SB220 !!

                  73s, Rob.