query on transmit setup

  • Earl
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2013
      Hi

      I have not been active with the program for a while and am experiencing difficulty with set up. Probably trivial but I can't find it.

      I have power sdr-iq v1.12.20 running under XP with a Delta 44 sound card (ASIO). I am using it with a 20m softrock Ensemble. The radio works fine T&R under WSPR.

      I want to try 20m & 30m CW and have connected my paddles. Receive works fine however if I enable break in or hit the MOX key the transmitter goes into slow oscillation with a kind of "whoop whoop". There is RF output.

      Unchecking the break-in enabled box puts me back into receive.

      Delta 44 connections

      OUT
      1 amplified speaker
      3,4 transmit IQ

      IN
      1,2 receive IQ

      Thanks in advance

      Earl VA6TJ
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2013
        I believe that to work CW with PSDR you will need to
        connect your Keying into the program via a serial port.
        Some latency problems might be evident. The USB2SDR
        sound card is supported and has keying inputs that
        are relatively free from latency problems
        Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG SK

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Earl" <earl.rubin@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have not been active with the program for a while and am experiencing difficulty with set up. Probably trivial but I can't find it.
        >
        > I have power sdr-iq v1.12.20 running under XP with a Delta 44 sound card (ASIO). I am using it with a 20m softrock Ensemble. The radio works fine T&R under WSPR.
        >
        > I want to try 20m & 30m CW and have connected my paddles. Receive works fine however if I enable break in or hit the MOX key the transmitter goes into slow oscillation with a kind of "whoop whoop". There is RF output.
        >
        > Unchecking the break-in enabled box puts me back into receive.
        >
        > Delta 44 connections
        >
        > OUT
        > 1 amplified speaker
        > 3,4 transmit IQ
        >
        > IN
        > 1,2 receive IQ
        >

        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Earl VA6TJ

      • Earl Rubin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2013
          Eric

          Thanks for your reply but I believe that the issue is not related to  latency, whcih  is not likely going to be an issue at the 12 - 16 WPM CW I am capable of.

          Here are more details on what I am seeing.

          Receiver functions normally.

          Transmit on USB, LSB, DSB and AM modes appear normal.
          Transmit on CWU or CWL with iambic enables results in motorboating at ~ 1 Hz with maximum power output, with or without the paddles connected.
          Transmit on CWU or CWL with iambic disabled results in a steady transmitted signal, like tune, but at maxium power.
          Tune function works normal.

          All tests during Ensemble kit construction were ok but I am going to look again at the circuit around the keying jack.  I have assembled  the whole series of Softrock kits and never encountered a problem like this.

          Any more suggestions will definitely be welcome.

          73, VA6TJ

          --
          Earl Rubin
          Water Valley AB
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2013
            Earl

            I don't think the problem is in your construction. I am experiencing the same thing. The voltages on pin 1 and 6 of the PIC are fine but still the dash is on when selecting cw.  I think the issue is in psdr-iq.

            Ken VA3SK

            -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2013
              Keying the key input jack to the softrock does not tell PSDR that
              you are transmitting. When running PSDR you must key the softrock
              through PSDR via a serial com port. Setup/DSP/Keying. Your key
              connects to the COM port and you key PSDR which in turn keys the
              softrock.

              Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Earl Rubin <earl.rubin@...> wrote:

              > Eric
              >
              > Thanks for your reply but I believe that the issue is not related to
              > latency, whcih is not likely going to be an issue at the 12 - 16 WPM CW I
              > am capable of.
              >
              > Here are more details on what I am seeing.
              >
              > Receiver functions normally.
              >
              > Transmit on USB, LSB, DSB and AM modes appear normal.
              > Transmit on CWU or CWL with iambic enables results in motorboating at ~ 1
              > Hz with maximum power output, with or without the paddles connected.
              > Transmit on CWU or CWL with iambic disabled results in a steady transmitted
              > signal, like tune, but at maxium power.
              > Tune function works normal.
              >
              > All tests during Ensemble kit construction were ok but I am going to look
              > again at the circuit around the keying jack. I have assembled the whole
              > series of Softrock kits and never encountered a problem like this.
              >
              > Any more suggestions will definitely be welcome.
              >
              > 73, VA6TJ
              >
              > --
              > Earl Rubin
              > Water Valley AB