Re: PowerSDR v2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs and UHFSDR

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
      Tony,

      I have not done so, yet you could give it a try

      -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@...> wrote:

      > Hi Christos
      >
      > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
      > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
      >
      > 73's
      > Tony
      >

      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
      > >
      > > There is no separate X 2 configuration.
      > > That setup is exclusively for those with ATTiny controlled Si570 on UHFSDRs and has manual VFO up to 999MHz.
      > >

      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Christos
      > > >
      > > > I see you have just posted "PowerSDRv2.4.4_for_Homemade_Rigs_Div2.zip". I am presuming that this is the awaited program for the UHFSDR divide by 2 Si570.
      > > > So I downloaded your new code and updated my program files. I am sorry to report that it doesnt seem to work - there is no div 2 box to tick, and I cant even get the performance I got previously by setting 2X the received frequency. Since there is no box to tick, I presume that it is a fixed implementation of the div 2 Si570. Or perhaps I need to do a fresh install of everything, although I cannot see why.
      > > > Any help welcome
      > > > Tony

    • tony_g3ovh
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
        Hi Christos

        Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.

        Tony

        > Tony,
        >
        > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
        >
        > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

        > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Christos
        > >
        > > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
        > > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
        > >
        > > 73's
        > > Tony
        > >

        > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > There is no separate X 2 configuration.
        > > > That setup is exclusively for those with ATTiny controlled Si570 on UHFSDRs and has manual VFO up to 999MHz.

      • eb4apl
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
          Hi,

          The BandText section of the XML file only affects the display, it doesn't allow to transmit in out-of-band frequencies. This is hard coded in the program due to some US FCC ideas regarding SDR's.

          But there is a trick that works (at least on older PowerSDR versions, I didn't tested it in the current one): configure the system using a transverter definition with a 0 Hz local oscillator, it worked for me very well.

          73 de Ignacio EB4APL

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
            Tony,

            Try then to set it also in the XVTR page by adding and enabling the 4m band also there.

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@...> wrote:

            > Hi Christos
            >
            > Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.
            >
            > Tony
            >

            > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Tony,
            > >
            > > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
            > >
            > > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

            > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Christos
            > > >
            > > > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
            > > > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
            > > >
            > > > 73's
            > > > Tony

          • tony_g3ovh
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
              Hi Ignacio and Christos

              Thank you - I set up the XVTR page to use button 3 on VHF 70.0 to 70.5 with zero IF.
              Works a treat. I should have guessed that it might me that simple ;-)
              I hope anyone else watching this thread has learnt something as well.

              best 73's
              Tony

              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "eb4apl" <eb4apl@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > The BandText section of the XML file only affects the display, it doesn't allow to transmit in out-of-band frequencies. This is hard coded in the program due to some US FCC ideas regarding SDR's.
              >
              > But there is a trick that works (at least on older PowerSDR versions, I didn't tested it in the current one): configure the system using a transverter definition with a 0 Hz local oscillator, it worked for me very well.
              >
              > 73 de Ignacio EB4APL
              >

              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Christos
              > >
              > > Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.
              > >
              > > Tony
              > >

              > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Tony,
              > > >
              > > > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
              > > >
              > > > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/
              > > >
              > > > 73,
              > > > Christos SV1EIA

            • ab2zt
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 10, 2013
                Hi Tony,
                I am trying to setup my UHFSDR with QRP2000 (minus the si570). I am able to set the freq correctly by using CFGSDR and the SI570_USB_Test. But with PowerSDR 2.4.4 X2 the freq is being set to 16x the selected freq. I am not sure if I have the right firmware version on the ATTiny chip. What does CFGSDR report as 'connected to version'? Mine says V1.4. Do you see V15.15?
                Thanks, 73
                Venkat
                AB2ZT

              • tony_g3ovh
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 22, 2013
                  Hi Venkat

                  I checked out CFGSDR on my kit - it reports USB Si570 connected
                  Version V15.15
                  Product DG8 SAQ-I2C
                  Serial number PE0FK0-0

                  Tony