Re: PowerSDR v2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs and UHFSDR

  • tony_g3ovh
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
      Hi Christos

      I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
      However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.

      73's
      Tony

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
        Tony,

        I have not done so, yet you could give it a try

        -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@...> wrote:

        > Hi Christos
        >
        > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
        > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
        >
        > 73's
        > Tony
        >

        > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There is no separate X 2 configuration.
        > > That setup is exclusively for those with ATTiny controlled Si570 on UHFSDRs and has manual VFO up to 999MHz.
        > >

        > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Christos
        > > >
        > > > I see you have just posted "PowerSDRv2.4.4_for_Homemade_Rigs_Div2.zip". I am presuming that this is the awaited program for the UHFSDR divide by 2 Si570.
        > > > So I downloaded your new code and updated my program files. I am sorry to report that it doesnt seem to work - there is no div 2 box to tick, and I cant even get the performance I got previously by setting 2X the received frequency. Since there is no box to tick, I presume that it is a fixed implementation of the div 2 Si570. Or perhaps I need to do a fresh install of everything, although I cannot see why.
        > > > Any help welcome
        > > > Tony

      • tony_g3ovh
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
          Hi Christos

          Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.

          Tony

          > Tony,
          >
          > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
          >
          > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

          > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Christos
          > >
          > > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
          > > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
          > >
          > > 73's
          > > Tony
          > >

          > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > There is no separate X 2 configuration.
          > > > That setup is exclusively for those with ATTiny controlled Si570 on UHFSDRs and has manual VFO up to 999MHz.

        • eb4apl
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
            Hi,

            The BandText section of the XML file only affects the display, it doesn't allow to transmit in out-of-band frequencies. This is hard coded in the program due to some US FCC ideas regarding SDR's.

            But there is a trick that works (at least on older PowerSDR versions, I didn't tested it in the current one): configure the system using a transverter definition with a 0 Hz local oscillator, it worked for me very well.

            73 de Ignacio EB4APL

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
              Tony,

              Try then to set it also in the XVTR page by adding and enabling the 4m band also there.

              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@...> wrote:

              > Hi Christos
              >
              > Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.
              >
              > Tony
              >

              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Tony,
              > >
              > > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
              > >
              > > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

              > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Christos
              > > >
              > > > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
              > > > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
              > > >
              > > > 73's
              > > > Tony

            • tony_g3ovh
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
                Hi Ignacio and Christos

                Thank you - I set up the XVTR page to use button 3 on VHF 70.0 to 70.5 with zero IF.
                Works a treat. I should have guessed that it might me that simple ;-)
                I hope anyone else watching this thread has learnt something as well.

                best 73's
                Tony

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "eb4apl" <eb4apl@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > The BandText section of the XML file only affects the display, it doesn't allow to transmit in out-of-band frequencies. This is hard coded in the program due to some US FCC ideas regarding SDR's.
                >
                > But there is a trick that works (at least on older PowerSDR versions, I didn't tested it in the current one): configure the system using a transverter definition with a 0 Hz local oscillator, it worked for me very well.
                >
                > 73 de Ignacio EB4APL
                >

                > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Christos
                > >
                > > Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.
                > >
                > > Tony
                > >

                > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Tony,
                > > >
                > > > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
                > > >
                > > > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/
                > > >
                > > > 73,
                > > > Christos SV1EIA

              • ab2zt
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 10 4:21 PM
                  Hi Tony,
                  I am trying to setup my UHFSDR with QRP2000 (minus the si570). I am able to set the freq correctly by using CFGSDR and the SI570_USB_Test. But with PowerSDR 2.4.4 X2 the freq is being set to 16x the selected freq. I am not sure if I have the right firmware version on the ATTiny chip. What does CFGSDR report as 'connected to version'? Mine says V1.4. Do you see V15.15?
                  Thanks, 73
                  Venkat
                  AB2ZT

                • tony_g3ovh
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 22 3:52 PM
                    Hi Venkat

                    I checked out CFGSDR on my kit - it reports USB Si570 connected
                    Version V15.15
                    Product DG8 SAQ-I2C
                    Serial number PE0FK0-0

                    Tony