Re: Need new sound card?

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2013
      Windows Vista suggests an older laptop.
      Windows treats sound in a very extravagant way using
      a lot of resources. This causes latency problems.
      The "card" in your laptop would be "unsupported"
      by PSDR IQ and would not have been able to transmit
      Phone without a second card. There are USB "supported" cards
      using ASIO that work well. But by far the best option would
      be the USB2SDR obtainable from Christos SV1EIA This is
      fully supported by PSDR IQ. Has in addition to I/O for IQ
      Mike input speaker/Headphone output and keying for CW
      and PTT. In addition it will control the Sis570 VFO in
      the softrock. Meaning only one USB connect to the PC is needed.
      This will allow a slower PC to operate well without drop
      outs and able to run co-resident applications with PSDR.
      None of the other sound cards available will do all this.
      Best Regards Eric VK5ZAG

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "kc9ee" <kc9ee@...> wrote:

      > My onboard RealTek soundcard just died in my Toshiba Windows Vista laptop.
      >
      > Please,any suggestions on a USB soundcard that will work on Vista?
      >
      > Using an Ensemble RXTX
      >
      > Gary
      > KC9EE

    • bxyza
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
        Gary,

        I use the iMic USB sound card on my XP machine, both ports work fine in XP. The Windows 7 32 Bit PC I have works with the iMic stereo Mic from the Softrock to the Microphone in but not stereo speakers out. I only paid $20.00 on Flea Bay for it and seems to work well.
        73
        KD8IGK
        Bill

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "kc9ee" <kc9ee@...> wrote:

        > My onboard RealTek soundcard just died in my Toshiba Windows Vista laptop.
        >
        > Please,any suggestions on a USB soundcard that will work on Vista?
        >
        > Using an Ensemble RXTX
        >
        > Gary
        > KC9EE

      • John Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
          Creative has the refurbed Soundblaster XFi 5.1 pro on their web site for $34.99 with free shipping. I bought one and am very happy with it on WinXP.

          John - ke5ssh

          --

          John Williams

          KE5SSH - ham since 2007
          WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
            Please note: That in order to transmit and receive/TX external
            audio "mike/SPKR" either 2 sound cards are needed or a 4in 4 out
            card. If the internal card has died then you will need to add 4 inputs and 4 outputs for full operation. It is also very
            advantageous to have a "supported" card if you are to use
            PSDR IQ since only then will all of the available assets of
            PSDR be available. Also "sound cards" used though windoze use
            a lot of CPU. When 2 are used this is compounded. Also some
            cards WILL have driver conflicts when more than one are used.
            That being said: the XFi SB is a good card for one in one out.
            Though it has 96KHz it also has a LPF which limits it somewhat.
            I have two versions of USB and a PCI XFi pro here (PCI unused)
            all available for $10.00 + post. Also I have about 12 other
            one in one out PCI cards that are to go into the trash.
            Best Regards to all 73 VK5ZAG