Need new sound card?

  • kc9ee
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2013
      My onboard RealTek soundcard just died in my Toshiba Windows Vista laptop.

      Please,any suggestions on a USB soundcard that will work on Vista?

      Using an Ensemble RXTX

      Gary
      KC9EE
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2013
        Windows Vista suggests an older laptop.
        Windows treats sound in a very extravagant way using
        a lot of resources. This causes latency problems.
        The "card" in your laptop would be "unsupported"
        by PSDR IQ and would not have been able to transmit
        Phone without a second card. There are USB "supported" cards
        using ASIO that work well. But by far the best option would
        be the USB2SDR obtainable from Christos SV1EIA This is
        fully supported by PSDR IQ. Has in addition to I/O for IQ
        Mike input speaker/Headphone output and keying for CW
        and PTT. In addition it will control the Sis570 VFO in
        the softrock. Meaning only one USB connect to the PC is needed.
        This will allow a slower PC to operate well without drop
        outs and able to run co-resident applications with PSDR.
        None of the other sound cards available will do all this.
        Best Regards Eric VK5ZAG

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "kc9ee" <kc9ee@...> wrote:

        > My onboard RealTek soundcard just died in my Toshiba Windows Vista laptop.
        >
        > Please,any suggestions on a USB soundcard that will work on Vista?
        >
        > Using an Ensemble RXTX
        >
        > Gary
        > KC9EE

      • bxyza
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
          Gary,

          I use the iMic USB sound card on my XP machine, both ports work fine in XP. The Windows 7 32 Bit PC I have works with the iMic stereo Mic from the Softrock to the Microphone in but not stereo speakers out. I only paid $20.00 on Flea Bay for it and seems to work well.
          73
          KD8IGK
          Bill

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "kc9ee" <kc9ee@...> wrote:

          > My onboard RealTek soundcard just died in my Toshiba Windows Vista laptop.
          >
          > Please,any suggestions on a USB soundcard that will work on Vista?
          >
          > Using an Ensemble RXTX
          >
          > Gary
          > KC9EE

        • John Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
            Creative has the refurbed Soundblaster XFi 5.1 pro on their web site for $34.99 with free shipping. I bought one and am very happy with it on WinXP.

            John - ke5ssh

            --

            John Williams

            KE5SSH - ham since 2007
            WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
              Please note: That in order to transmit and receive/TX external
              audio "mike/SPKR" either 2 sound cards are needed or a 4in 4 out
              card. If the internal card has died then you will need to add 4 inputs and 4 outputs for full operation. It is also very
              advantageous to have a "supported" card if you are to use
              PSDR IQ since only then will all of the available assets of
              PSDR be available. Also "sound cards" used though windoze use
              a lot of CPU. When 2 are used this is compounded. Also some
              cards WILL have driver conflicts when more than one are used.
              That being said: the XFi SB is a good card for one in one out.
              Though it has 96KHz it also has a LPF which limits it somewhat.
              I have two versions of USB and a PCI XFi pro here (PCI unused)
              all available for $10.00 + post. Also I have about 12 other
              one in one out PCI cards that are to go into the trash.
              Best Regards to all 73 VK5ZAG