Calibration of PowerSDR for Softrock RxTx ?

  • joelweder
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2013
      Hello all,

      I have recently finished building my Softrock and have been doing some basic testing of transmit functionality. Rocky isn't working well for me as I have a Win7 machine, but as I've been very happy with PowerSDR (2.4.4 IQ version) for receive I'd like to work with it instead.

      I've been looking in the Files area for any information about how to do transmitter calibration to ensure I don't over-drive the Softrock, but haven't found anything. Also did a quick Search of messages, but if there's any discussion I must not be using the right search terms.

      Can anyone point me at a document describing how to set up PowerSDR-IQ 2.4.4 properly to transmit? I mean specifically something about calibration to avoid over-driving - I think I'm pretty close to figuring out other details. (famous last words?)

      Joel VE6EI
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
        Hi Joel,

        Since you go into Tx, be ready to have a supported audio card.
        There are many that do not go this way but they miss a lot and most likely could be generating Tx signals that are non-FCC compliant with spurious and images.
        So, get a D-44 or a FA-66 if you want Tx and read the documentation manual of PowerSDR in the links section of the group.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
          Joel,
          Christos is all too modest concerning "supported" cards
          to be used for PSDR-IQ. His USB2SDR is fully a supported card.
          It has better latency that either the D-44 or the FA-66.
          and has noise figures similar to the FA-66 the best of the two.
          I have all three to play with. Also it has inputs for
          keying and can control the Sis570, in a softrock, meaning
          that only one connection to the computer is needed.
          Multiple connects to the PC are problematical for PC noise
          and RF feedback loops. The only problem, if indeed it is one,
          is the 0.5V output limit and this can be corrected with a simple
          amplifier when rarely needed. Further an add on board soon
          to be available will give this purpose designed card a, better
          still, superlative noise performance for those who require it.
          Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG
          SR6.3/MoBo4.3/USB2SDR/400W.P.A./All HF bands all modes.