Re: PowerSDR-IQ and two computers

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 25, 2013
      I don't know what your goal is. I am running a laptop with a second lcd monitor and display each pgm an a seperate monitor, works great.
      This may not accomplish what you need but thought I would share info.

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "TheLongs" wrote:

      > I'm new to this setup.
      >

      > Is it possible to have one computer running HRD Beta 6.0 and a second
      > computer running PowerSDR-IQ.
      >

      > If both computers are on the same local network, can PowerSDR-IQ communicate
      > HRD on the other computer?
      >

      > John
      >
      > KW7A

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 25, 2013
        Subject: [powersdr-iq] PowerSDR-IQ and two computers

        > I'm new to this setup.
        >

        > Is it possible to have one computer running HRD Beta 6.0 and a second
        > computer running PowerSDR-IQ.
        > If both computers are on the same local network, can PowerSDR-IQ communicate
        > HRD on the other computer?

        John,

        I'm not sure what you want to do.
        If it is to control a SDR remotely with HRD then I'd think you would do it like any other HRD remote. Setup PSDR/HRD on the remote
        and control with HRD locally.
        HRD will control PSDR with CAT. Once you have mastered that then do the remote. You will probably find more if you go to the HRD
        forum.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • harold1946@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2013
          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

          > I don't know what your goal is. I am running a laptop with a second lcd monitor and display each pgm an a seperate monitor, works great.
          > This may not accomplish what you need but thought I would share info.

          I am retired and on a fixed income. I have had the two computers for a very long time. They are both IBM ThinkCenters each with 1GB ram, Pent 4 cpu, and two displays.

          Since I am limited on computing power, I would like to spread the computing task over the two systems.

          John
          KW7A
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2013
            John,
            I have done what you propose.
            You will need to convey VAC audio in and out from one compuer using PSDR to the other using HRD.
            At first I used 3.5mm audio cables with some success you might try this. you will need the skills to configure the audio I/O of one computer to the other I/O audio and set the levels as needed.
            I eventually bought two USB "audio cheap cards" with Toslink
            AF 48Kc digital optical cables to connect the two computers.
            These USB units were cheap about $15 ea and having the optical
            cables removed the problems with (hum loops)The two computers worked seamlessly and HRD on one and PSDR on the other.
            Other options are to use two monitors on one computer and minimize
            the needs of PSDR. There are methods listed on this site to modify
            the display for less CPU use. Switching off the Panadapter when
            not needed cuts back CPU use 70%. taking out the "FILL" on the pan-
            adapter saves about 10%.
            Using Christos's USB2SDR takes a lot of load off the CPU by not
            using Micro$ofts crummy audio systems. Disable or uninstall any
            "sound cards" not used and purge the system of unused sound card drivers. A search will show how this is done. Good luck.
            Best Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG

          • harold1946@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2013
              Thanks for the reply.

              As I read the relplys I can see I need to be a bit more clear on what I am trying to do.

              I will be running HRD Beta 6.0 on one computer hooked to my Kenwood TS-2000.
              On the second computer I would like to run PSDR.
              To feed PSDR I will be using the IF output from my Kenwood TS-2000 to a Softrock-IF receiver that will supply the I/Q audio to the second computer.
              Both computers are on the same local netwook.

              Now my question(s):

              How does the PSDR software on the second computer communicate with the HRD software on the first computer so I can click on the PSDR display and to will change the frecuency on the HDR and hence change the frecuency on the radio?

              I think I also was incorrect in saying I will be using PSDR-IQ. I think the correct version of PSDR will be the PSDR-IF that can control the Kenwood radio.

              Sorry for the confusion.
              You are all helping me get this termonilogy straight in my head.

              Thanks,
              John
              KW7A

              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "ericwd9" wrote:

              > John,
              > I have done what you propose.
              > You will need to convey VAC audio in and out from one compuer using PSDR to the other using HRD.
              > At first I used 3.5mm audio cables with some success you might try this. you will need the skills to configure the audio I/O of one computer to the other I/O audio and set the levels as needed.
              > I eventually bought two USB "audio cheap cards" with Toslink
              > AF 48Kc digital optical cables to connect the two computers.
              > These USB units were cheap about $15 ea and having the optical
              > cables removed the problems with (hum loops)The two computers worked seamlessly and HRD on one and PSDR on the other.
              > Other options are to use two monitors on one computer and minimize
              > the needs of PSDR. There are methods listed on this site to modify
              > the display for less CPU use. Switching off the Panadapter when
              > not needed cuts back CPU use 70%. taking out the "FILL" on the pan-
              > adapter saves about 10%.
              > Using Christos's USB2SDR takes a lot of load off the CPU by not
              > using Micro$ofts crummy audio systems. Disable or uninstall any
              > "sound cards" not used and purge the system of unused sound card drivers. A search will show how this is done. Good luck.
              > Best Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG
              >

              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "harold1946@" wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I don't know what your goal is. I am running a laptop with a second lcd monitor and display each pgm an a seperate monitor, works great.
              > > > This may not accomplish what you need but thought I would share info.
              > > >

              > > I am retired and on a fixed income. I have had the two computers for a very long time. They are both IBM ThinkCenters each with 1GB ram, Pent 4 cpu, and two displays.
              > >
              > > Since I am limited on computing power, I would like to spread the computing task over the two systems.
              > >

              > > John
              > > KW7A

            • Alan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2013
                Subject: [powersdr-iq] Re: PowerSDR-IQ and two computers

                > How does the PSDR software on the second computer communicate with the HRD software on the first computer so I can click on the
                > PSDR display and to will change the frecuency on the HDR and hence change the frecuency on the radio?

                John,

                As the two are joined by CAT then presumably the computers will be connected by serial ports?

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2013
                  As Alan has indicated the two computers need to be connected together by a "null modem" cable between serial "com" ports this will allow
                  a program on one computer to control a program on the other.
                  However if HRD is in control of one rig then HRD can not be
                  controled by another at the same time. You can select but one
                  rig for "cat" control at a time.
                  Regards 73 Eric VK5ZAG