PowerSDR v2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs and UHFSDR

  • tony_g3ovh
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 14, 2013
      I have scoured all the groups for the answer to this but have failed:
      I just installed PowerSDR v2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs, having been successfully using PowerSDR-IQ v 1.12.20 with the UHFSDR, Delta 44 sound card and QRP2000 USB controlled Si570 synthesiser modified to drive the SI570 on the UHFSDR. This uses the ATTiny45 programmed with DG8ASQ firmware. PowerSDR-IQ had the necessary tick box for the UHFSDR divide-by-2 operation. However, I cannot get the same functionality with the new version. It is driving the Si570 OK, but at 2X the needed frequency - i can for instance receive 70.00MHz at a setting of 35.009MHz. I found a suggestion about using SdrSi570Usb.dll, but PowerSDR v2.4.4 doesn't recognise this. I tried renaming SdrSi570Usb.dll to SdrSi570Usb.dll but that made no difference. Any help would be most welcome.
      Tony
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 14, 2013
        Hi Tony,

        Your earlier setup it was working ok from what you say, so at least you have one solution.

        The new version of things though, is targeted to the mainstream of homebrew SDR rigs having the X4 LO.

        I'll try to have a solution for your specific needs soon as I did in the past for the X2 LO of UHFSDR.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" wrote:

        > I have scoured all the groups for the answer to this but have failed:
        > I just installed PowerSDR v2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs, having been successfully using PowerSDR-IQ v 1.12.20 with the UHFSDR, Delta 44 sound card and QRP2000 USB controlled Si570 synthesiser modified to drive the SI570 on the UHFSDR. This uses the ATTiny45 programmed with DG8ASQ firmware. PowerSDR-IQ had the necessary tick box for the UHFSDR divide-by-2 operation. However, I cannot get the same functionality with the new version. It is driving the Si570 OK, but at 2X the needed frequency - i can for instance receive 70.00MHz at a setting of 35.009MHz. I found a suggestion about using SdrSi570Usb.dll, but PowerSDR v2.4.4 doesn't recognise this. I tried renaming SdrSi570Usb.dll to SdrSi570Usb.dll but that made no difference. Any help would be most welcome.
        > Tony

      • tony_g3ovh
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 15, 2013
          Hi Christos

          Thank you - I am happy now that it was not my fault - I did not want to incur your RTFM wrath ;-)
          I look forward to your modified version, but as you said, I have a working solution still, so I am not QRT.
          best regards
          Tony

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" wrote:

          > Hi Tony,
          >
          > Your earlier setup it was working ok from what you say, so at least you have one solution.
          >
          > The new version of things though, is targeted to the mainstream of homebrew SDR rigs having the X4 LO.
          >
          > I'll try to have a solution for your specific needs soon as I did in the past for the X2 LO of UHFSDR.

          > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" wrote:
          > >
          > > I have scoured all the groups for the answer to this but have failed:
          > > I just installed PowerSDR v2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs, having been successfully using PowerSDR-IQ v 1.12.20 with the UHFSDR, Delta 44 sound card and QRP2000 USB controlled Si570 synthesiser modified to drive the SI570 on the UHFSDR. This uses the ATTiny45 programmed with DG8ASQ firmware. PowerSDR-IQ had the necessary tick box for the UHFSDR divide-by-2 operation. However, I cannot get the same functionality with the new version. It is driving the Si570 OK, but at 2X the needed frequency - i can for instance receive 70.00MHz at a setting of 35.009MHz. I found a suggestion about using SdrSi570Usb.dll, but PowerSDR v2.4.4 doesn't recognise this. I tried renaming SdrSi570Usb.dll to SdrSi570Usb.dll but that made no difference. Any help would be most welcome.
          > > Tony

        • yl2gqn
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 15, 2013
            Hello Christos,

            Will be great to have version compatible with UHFSDR (or any other x2 SDR). I think many home brewers will be happy with your new version. At least, I'll be really happy.

            Regards,
            Andy. YL2QN

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" wrote:

            > Hi Tony,
            >
            > Your earlier setup it was working ok from what you say, so at least you have one solution.
            >
            > The new version of things though, is targeted to the mainstream of homebrew SDR rigs having the X4 LO.
            >
            > I'll try to have a solution for your specific needs soon as I did in the past for the X2 LO of UHFSDR.

            > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" wrote:
            > >
            > > I have scoured all the groups for the answer to this but have failed:
            > > I just installed PowerSDR v2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs, having been successfully using PowerSDR-IQ v 1.12.20 with the UHFSDR, Delta 44 sound card and QRP2000 USB controlled Si570 synthesiser modified to drive the SI570 on the UHFSDR. This uses the ATTiny45 programmed with DG8ASQ firmware. PowerSDR-IQ had the necessary tick box for the UHFSDR divide-by-2 operation. However, I cannot get the same functionality with the new version. It is driving the Si570 OK, but at 2X the needed frequency - i can for instance receive 70.00MHz at a setting of 35.009MHz. I found a suggestion about using SdrSi570Usb.dll, but PowerSDR v2.4.4 doesn't recognise this. I tried renaming SdrSi570Usb.dll to SdrSi570Usb.dll but that made no difference. Any help would be most welcome.
            > > Tony

          • Conrad Farlow
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 16, 2013
              I have a M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard for sale in perfect working order. I
              connected directly to the socket on the board and so I have 'mislaid'
              the breakout box so asking £50 plus shipping.

              I can take paypal.

              Conrad G0RUZ IO93FR

              G0RUZ webpages

            • John Gainsborough

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
                    Hi Christos

                    I see you have just posted "PowerSDRv2.4.4_for_Homemade_Rigs_Div2.zip". I am presuming that this is the awaited program for the UHFSDR divide by 2 Si570.
                    So I downloaded your new code and updated my program files. I am sorry to report that it doesnt seem to work - there is no div 2 box to tick, and I cant even get the performance I got previously by setting 2X the received frequency. Since there is no box to tick, I presume that it is a fixed implementation of the div 2 Si570. Or perhaps I need to do a fresh install of everything, although I cannot see why.
                    Any help welcome

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
                      There is no separate X 2 configuration.
                      That setup is exclusively for those with ATTiny controlled Si570 on UHFSDRs and has manual VFO up to 999MHz.

                      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" wrote:

                      > Hi Christos
                      >
                      > I see you have just posted "PowerSDRv2.4.4_for_Homemade_Rigs_Div2.zip". I am presuming that this is the awaited program for the UHFSDR divide by 2 Si570.
                      > So I downloaded your new code and updated my program files. I am sorry to report that it doesnt seem to work - there is no div 2 box to tick, and I cant even get the performance I got previously by setting 2X the received frequency. Since there is no box to tick, I presume that it is a fixed implementation of the div 2 Si570. Or perhaps I need to do a fresh install of everything, although I cannot see why.
                      > Any help welcome
                      > Tony
                      >
                      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Tony,
                      > >
                      > > Your earlier setup it was working ok from what you say, so at least you have one solution.
                      > >
                      > > The new version of things though, is targeted to the mainstream of homebrew SDR rigs having the X4 LO.
                      > >
                      > > I'll try to have a solution for your specific needs soon as I did in the past for the X2 LO of UHFSDR.

                      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I have scoured all the groups for the answer to this but have failed:
                      > > > I just installed PowerSDR v2.4.4 for Homemade Rigs, having been successfully using PowerSDR-IQ v 1.12.20 with the UHFSDR, Delta 44 sound card and QRP2000 USB controlled Si570 synthesiser modified to drive the SI570 on the UHFSDR. This uses the ATTiny45 programmed with DG8ASQ firmware. PowerSDR-IQ had the necessary tick box for the UHFSDR divide-by-2 operation. However, I cannot get the same functionality with the new version. It is driving the Si570 OK, but at 2X the needed frequency - i can for instance receive 70.00MHz at a setting of 35.009MHz. I found a suggestion about using SdrSi570Usb.dll, but PowerSDR v2.4.4 doesn't recognise this. I tried renaming SdrSi570Usb.dll to SdrSi570Usb.dll but that made no difference. Any help would be most welcome.
                      > > > Tony

                    • tony_g3ovh
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Hi Christos

                        I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
                        However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.

                        73's

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
                          Tony,

                          I have not done so, yet you could give it a try

                          -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

                          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Christos
                          >
                          > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
                          > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
                          >
                          > 73's
                          > Tony
                          >

                          > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > There is no separate X 2 configuration.
                          > > That setup is exclusively for those with ATTiny controlled Si570 on UHFSDRs and has manual VFO up to 999MHz.
                          > >

                          > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Christos
                          > > >
                          > > > I see you have just posted "PowerSDRv2.4.4_for_Homemade_Rigs_Div2.zip". I am presuming that this is the awaited program for the UHFSDR divide by 2 Si570.
                          > > > So I downloaded your new code and updated my program files. I am sorry to report that it doesnt seem to work - there is no div 2 box to tick, and I cant even get the performance I got previously by setting 2X the received frequency. Since there is no box to tick, I presume that it is a fixed implementation of the div 2 Si570. Or perhaps I need to do a fresh install of everything, although I cannot see why.
                          > > > Any help welcome
                          > > > Tony

                        • tony_g3ovh
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
                            Hi Christos

                            Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.

                            Tony

                            > Tony,
                            >
                            > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
                            >
                            > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

                            > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Christos
                            > >
                            > > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
                            > > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
                            > >
                            > > 73's
                            > > Tony
                            > >

                            > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > There is no separate X 2 configuration.
                            > > > That setup is exclusively for those with ATTiny controlled Si570 on UHFSDRs and has manual VFO up to 999MHz.

                          • eb4apl
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
                              Hi,

                              The BandText section of the XML file only affects the display, it doesn't allow to transmit in out-of-band frequencies. This is hard coded in the program due to some US FCC ideas regarding SDR's.

                              But there is a trick that works (at least on older PowerSDR versions, I didn't tested it in the current one): configure the system using a transverter definition with a 0 Hz local oscillator, it worked for me very well.

                              73 de Ignacio EB4APL

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
                                Tony,

                                Try then to set it also in the XVTR page by adding and enabling the 4m band also there.

                                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Christos
                                >
                                > Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.
                                >
                                > Tony
                                >

                                > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Tony,
                                > >
                                > > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
                                > >
                                > > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/

                                > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hi Christos
                                > > >
                                > > > I finally got the new ATTiny85 installed with V15.15 firmware. Now it works OK with PowerSDR V2.4.4 X2 version giving the correct receive frequency - thanks for the help.
                                > > > However, I now have a new problem - I want to use this for the UK 4m amateur band 70.0 to 70.5 MHz. I have edited the .xml configuration file to add the correct band texts for the band plan, but cant get Tx enabled. S/W reports "The frequency 70.200000MHz in combination with your TX filter settings [200,3100] are not within the Band specifications for your region (0)." But I can't find where these are specified. Have you emulated the SDR1000 firmware in the extensions to the original code, so that we can't transmit outside the US band plans? This wasn't a problem in PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.20 because I could tick the extended button to allow it. Help please. I'll post in the PowerSDR group as well.
                                > > >
                                > > > 73's
                                > > > Tony

                              • tony_g3ovh
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 10, 2013
                                  Hi Ignacio and Christos

                                  Thank you - I set up the XVTR page to use button 3 on VHF 70.0 to 70.5 with zero IF.
                                  Works a treat. I should have guessed that it might me that simple ;-)
                                  I hope anyone else watching this thread has learnt something as well.

                                  best 73's
                                  Tony

                                  --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "eb4apl" <eb4apl@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > The BandText section of the XML file only affects the display, it doesn't allow to transmit in out-of-band frequencies. This is hard coded in the program due to some US FCC ideas regarding SDR's.
                                  >
                                  > But there is a trick that works (at least on older PowerSDR versions, I didn't tested it in the current one): configure the system using a transverter definition with a 0 Hz local oscillator, it worked for me very well.
                                  >
                                  > 73 de Ignacio EB4APL
                                  >

                                  > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "tony_g3ovh" <tabbey01@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Christos
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for the link. Interestingly, I had already worked that out for myself, so I also get the correct indications on the tuning instead of "out of band". However, as I said in my last post, it still wont transmit - there must be another Tx prevention mechanism yet to be discovered. Maybe I have to experiment with the transverter settings, since PowerSDR doesnt expect to be able to use VHF without one.
                                  > >
                                  > > Tony
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Tony,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I have not done so, yet you could give it a try
                                  > > >
                                  > > > -> http://www.geekshed.co.uk/adding-70mhz-4m-allocation-to-flex-powersdr/
                                  > > >
                                  > > > 73,
                                  > > > Christos SV1EIA

                                • ab2zt
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 10, 2013
                                    Hi Tony,
                                    I am trying to setup my UHFSDR with QRP2000 (minus the si570). I am able to set the freq correctly by using CFGSDR and the SI570_USB_Test. But with PowerSDR 2.4.4 X2 the freq is being set to 16x the selected freq. I am not sure if I have the right firmware version on the ATTiny chip. What does CFGSDR report as 'connected to version'? Mine says V1.4. Do you see V15.15?
                                    Thanks, 73
                                    Venkat
                                    AB2ZT

                                  • tony_g3ovh
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 22, 2013
                                      Hi Venkat

                                      I checked out CFGSDR on my kit - it reports USB Si570 connected
                                      Version V15.15
                                      Product DG8 SAQ-I2C
                                      Serial number PE0FK0-0

                                      Tony