Re: Tuning problem with PowerSDRv2.4.4_for_Homemade_Rigs

  • s_t_marsh
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hi Bob,

      I believe I have set it up correctly. When I start the program I get the following pop-up twice:

      USB To I2C Interface Connected

      SDR1000 Emulator for Homemade SDR rigs.
      Version 0.9
      ARRiny USB Firmware detected and connected.

      Credits: Christos Nikolaou SV1EIA

      The USB adapter box is ticked in settings - General.

      I drag the spectrum and the frequency numbers move in frequency up and down as expected. However, the signals move about 3Khz in the direction I drag the mouse and then suddenly pop back to where they started. I will check with my oscilloscope later if the frequency out of the si570 is changing at all, but I can't see what I am doing wrong.

      Other programs like HDSDR work fine.

      Regards

      Stuart

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" wrote:

      > Hi Stuart,
      >
      > HDSDR and Rocky use a fixed LO frequency, i.e the Si570 frequency is only set once when you select the band segment. As you tune around +/- from the centre (LO) frequency this is done entirely within the SDR program.
      >
      > PowerSDR is different, and uses a much better system. The LO frequency (Si570) is constantly changing as you tune across the band. PSDR offsets the LO frequency by a set amount (usually 9kHz) to use a pseudo IF to shift any centre frequency spike and noise away from the tuning point.
      >
      > PSDR needs full control of the USB interface, so you should not be running CFGSR at the same time, only one application can be controlling the Si570 via the USB interface.
      >
      > One point to note, you must have the SDR rigs USB lead connected before starting PSDR as it is detected on starting the program. If you start PSDR without the USB device present you will find the USB device is deselected (I have not tested with the latest version, but certainly true of older versions).
      >
      > You need to make sure you have followed the new installation instructions and selected the transceiver type as SDR-1000. The SoftRock and Ensemble USB hardware via emulation is treated as a SDR-1000 transceiver.
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "s_t_marsh" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Eric, yes I do. I have the USB box checked on the general tab. The USB works fine in Rocky and HDSDR. I don't see why it doesn't work since the driver is installed correctly, PSDR sees the USB on startup and I can see signals move when I manually tune in CFGSR. I just can't seem to tune within my 96Khz block by dragging the spectrum or tuning within PSDR.I must be missing something obvious....
      > >

      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "ericwd9" wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Do you have the USB and or Sis 570 boxes checked in PSDR setup?
      > > >
      > > > Regards Eric VK5ZAG

    • s_t_marsh
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 13, 2013
        Hi,

        When the SR box is checked then signals move a few Khz then snap back as before.

        When I uncheck the SR box then the signals don't move at all when dragging the spectrum or using the mouse wheel to change frequency.

        Any other things to check?

        Thank you for your help.

        Stuart

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 13, 2013
          Dont have any other application access the ATTiny whenPSDR runs.

        • s_t_marsh
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 13, 2013
            I just rebooted my laptop and only run the PSDR software. The results are the same.

            At boot up time I have a choice of DEMO mode and SDR1000. I always select SDR1000 as per instructions.

            The USB si570 is always found. A pop-up confirms this.

            I cannot tune the radio.

            This is very frustrating!

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 13, 2013
              Do you have the latest ATTiny firmware version?

            • bxyza
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
                Stuart,

                I ha d a similar behavior with my Softrock and PowerSDR. The problem was that the Mic IN port was monorail, not stereo. I use laptop for the PC and it is attached to a docking station. In the docking station there is a "line in" port which was a stereo port. This solved the problem.

                You might try an external USB sound card. I used the iMic sound card which I had for my iPad. Using a stereo line in solved the problem in total no matter which sound card was used.
                73

                KD8IGK
                Bill

              • s_t_marsh
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
                  Hi,

                  I recently bought an SDR-KITS QRP2000. The AVR shows a version of V1.4 when I run CFGSR. Is this correct or do I have to install firmware from PE0FKO? Is it compatible with the QPR2000 kit?

                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
                    Subject: [powersdr-iq] Re: Tuning problem with PowerSDRv2.4.4_for_Homemade_Rigs

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I recently bought an SDR-KITS QRP2000. The AVR shows a version of V1.4 when I run CFGSR. Is this correct or do I have to install
                    > firmware from PE0FKO? Is it compatible with the QPR2000 kit?

                    Stuart,

                    This could be your problem.
                    Yes, the two controllers are almost identical but the PE0FKO firmware is better. But I think the QRP2000 uses an ATTiny45? It will
                    have to be replaced by an 85 with Fred's v 15.15.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
                      You need to upgrade.

                      -> http://pe0fko.nl/SR-V9-Si570/

                      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "s_t_marsh" wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I recently bought an SDR-KITS QRP2000. The AVR shows a version of V1.4 when I run CFGSR. Is this correct or do I have to install firmware from PE0FKO? Is it compatible with the QPR2000 kit?
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Stuart
                      >
                      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Do you have the latest ATTiny firmware version?
                      > >

                      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "s_t_marsh" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I just rebooted my laptop and only run the PSDR software. The results are the same.
                      > > >
                      > > > At boot up time I have a choice of DEMO mode and SDR1000. I always select SDR1000 as per instructions.
                      > > >
                      > > > The USB si570 is always found. A pop-up confirms this.
                      > > >
                      > > > I cannot tune the radio.
                      > > >
                      > > > This is very frustrating!
                      > > >
                      > > > Regards,
                      > > >
                      > > > Stuart

                    • n2msqrp
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
                        Hello,

                        I want to purchase some ATTiny85's with the v 15.15 from The Parts Place:

                        <http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/>

                        I tried calling and emailing Cecil but get no response. Does anyone know if he is still selling parts?

                        Thanks,

                        Mike N2MS

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
                          Cheers Alan. Does the pin-out stay the same then?

                          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" wrote:

> [...]
                        • cbayona
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
                            This is the last I've heard from you.

                            Cecil,

                            I'll contact you after the holidays.

                            73 and Seasons' Greetings

                            Mike N2MS

                            Yes, I'm still here, what email address did you use? I have not
                            received any mail except the above quoted email before Christmas.

                            My website will accept orders at the link in your email, I would get
                            Version 15.15 the latest available.

                            --
                            Cecil - k5nwa
                            http://www.softrockradio.org/ http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/

                          • Alan
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 15, 2013

                              > Cheers Alan. Does the pin-out stay the same then?

                              Yes it is just a plug-in replacement.
                              The PE0FKO firmware is worth having but I've lost track with how the DG8SAQ firmware differs.
                              However in another thread Tony says DG8SAQ is working with v2.4.4
                              Given your strange symptoms it might be worth trying another AVR.

                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                            • s_t_marsh
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 17, 2013
                                Hi Christos,

                                I managed to reprogram the AVR with PE0FKO firmware V15.15 and it all works fine! Thank you for your help.

                                One question. There is almost a second delay from pressing paddles to the computer changing over to transmit. I am using the paddle inputs via the AVR. It makes iambic keying almost impossible. I'm running a dual core computer so speed shouldn't be a problem. Is using the COM port faster?

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 17, 2013
                                  Stuart,

                                  Obviously you have something wrong in your USB but I do not know what.
                                  Paddles from ATTiny should work fine and that is cross checked and reported ok by many.

                                  Give a try to the COM setup of paddles, there is a relevant post somewhere in the group.