Got PowerSDR 2.4.4 working - but need explanation on VFO indicator.

  • bxyza
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2012
      Thanks to everyone on this reflector I got my SoftRock RX Ensemble II working with version 4.4.4 of PowerSDR OK. But on my display screen the VFO frequency presents a long vertical red line on the spectrum display to the right, but this is off by about 3.5 KHz from the actual calling stations. In fact it falls outside of the "Double Hump" section of the Spectrum display. I get completely different results with HDSDR. But it is clear that the indicated VFO frequency on PowerSDR is off by a lot. When I compared my ICOM VFO to the PowerSDR VFO frequency there is 3.5KHz delta with the PowerSDR VFO higher than the station I hear on my ICOM.

      I probably have done something wrong but I cannot figure it out. In HDSDR it all works perfectly. I have tried the recalibration steps as documented but it does not seem to change the position of the VFO Vertical Red Line.

      I'm stuck and any ideas would be appreciated. Keep in mind I do not have any test equipment other than a DVM. So asking me to inject signals or use a scope on this thing is impossible.
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2012
        Subject: [powersdr-iq] Got PowerSDR 2.4.4 working - but need explanation on VFO indicator.

        > I have tried the recalibration steps as documented

        This means you have calibrated the Si570 with CFGSR or the ExtIO in HDSDR?
        And not attempted calibration in any other way?

        And PSDR works differently.
        The red line shows the tuned carrier frequency.
        The LO frequency is always 9KHz below this, unless you have changed the IF setting. If you have a double hump in the middle of HDSDR
        then it will be 9KHz below the red line.

        What do you mean by VFO frequency?
        Do you mean your Icom shows a different frequency when tuned to the same station? If so, there is an error in your calibration.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • scott jacobs
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2012
          Bill,
          Actually I am having the same issue with it beding 3.5 khz off.  I built my softrock
          for use with my IC-761.  Just having issues geting it properly calibrated.
          One note though I am using PowerSdr-IF.

          Scott - NZ4AA

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2012
            Scott, et al,

            I found the root cause of the issue. I was sending the audio from the Softrock to the MIC port on my laptop. Evidently that MIC port is only Mono. When I connected the audio cable of the Softrock RX Ensemble II to the "Line In" port of my docking station I was able to tune properly. I will verify if the frequency is offset, but I know how to make that change via the CSCFG app.

            Long term I think I will get a Win 7 32 Bit compatible PCMIA sound card that has a stereo MIC port so I am not tied down to the the desk.

            Thanks to everyone that replied to my message, I appreciate the support.
            73,
            KD8IGK