Use of USB2SDR

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
      Can the USB2SDR be used with applications other than PSDR IQ?

      Regards 73 all Eric VK5ZAG
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2012
        Hi Eric,

        USB2SDR as you already know, is a DSP board dedicated for our SDR rigs.

        Applications so far were using the plain audio cards for this purpose, yet USB2SDR came to give a better solution in terms of software application and DSP/SDR hardware collaboration and ease of setup to users.

        So, it is dedicated to PowerSDR concepts and needs, with the application interfacing 'Directly' to the board bypassing the 'audio' subsystem latency. That is of importance as it allows near real time performance of CW with USB2SDR.

        That means an application has to be aware of how USB2SDR works and make use of it. PowerSDR-IQ, the homebrew rigs fork of PowerSDR from Flexradio has been chosen for the purpose since IMHO nothing can come close to it.

        Yet although an exclusive relationship is existing between USB2SDR and PowerSDR-IQ, there are some projects as we speak that try to open this up.

        A good friend and team member here, is Demetris SV1OBT, where he got the task of making USB2SDR available on other platforms and as first is Linux. So here he has his project of using ghpsdr and USB2SDR
        -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/message/65407
        -> http://www.robotmotion.gr/robotmotion/Projects/Entries/2012/5/25_USB2SDR_%2B_ghpsdr3_%3D_Great_SDR_system_for_Linux.html

        Also, together we work on a specialized Linux ALSA driver nowadays that will enable USB2SDR to work under all Linux SDR applications.

        On Windows, I'm prepearing an SDK for those that want to include 'Direct' comms to USB2SDR from within an application and soon (in one to two weeks) this will be published. Contacted Yussef and he is interested to have a go on sdrsharp with USB2SDR as soon as I send him the SDK and a board to test.

        So, I jope these give you an idea of how things are progressing here. :-)

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "ericwd9" <ericwd9@...> wrote:

        > Can the USB2SDR be used with applications other than PSDR IQ?
        >
        > Regards 73 all Eric VK5ZAG

      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 17, 2012
          LIKE!

          Thanks Christos. I have been out of the loop of late but appreciate yours and others continued efforts in developing this hardware and software.

          In considerable advance... Happy Holidays to you and yours!

          Bruce, K2BET

          ----
          On 11/17/2012 5:24 AM, sv1eia wrote:

          Hi Eric,

          USB2SDR as you already know, is a DSP board dedicated for our SDR rigs.

          Applications so far were using the plain audio cards for this purpose, yet USB2SDR came to give a better solution in terms of software application and DSP/SDR hardware collaboration and ease of setup to users.

          So, it is dedicated to PowerSDR concepts and needs, with the application interfacing 'Directly' to the board bypassing the 'audio' subsystem latency. That is of importance as it allows near real time performance of CW with USB2SDR.

          That means an application has to be aware of how USB2SDR works and make use of it. PowerSDR-IQ, the homebrew rigs fork of PowerSDR from Flexradio has been chosen for the purpose since IMHO nothing can come close to it.

          Yet although an exclusive relationship is existing between USB2SDR and PowerSDR-IQ, there are some projects as we speak that try to open this up.

          A good friend and team member here, is Demetris SV1OBT, where he got the task of making USB2SDR available on other platforms and as first is Linux. So here he has his project of using ghpsdr and USB2SDR
          -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/message/65407
          -> http://www.robotmotion.gr/robotmotion/Projects/Entries/2012/5/25_USB2SDR_%2B_ghpsdr3_%3D_Great_SDR_system_for_Linux.html

          Also, together we work on a specialized Linux ALSA driver nowadays that will enable USB2SDR to work under all Linux SDR applications.

          On Windows, I'm prepearing an SDK for those that want to include 'Direct' comms to USB2SDR from within an application and soon (in one to two weeks) this will be published. Contacted Yussef and he is interested to have a go on sdrsharp with USB2SDR as soon as I send him the SDK and a board to test.

          So, I jope these give you an idea of how things are progressing here. :-)

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "ericwd9" <ericwd9@...> wrote:

          > Can the USB2SDR be used with applications other than PSDR IQ?
          >
          > Regards 73 all Eric VK5ZAG

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7702 (20121117) __________

          http://www.eset.com

        • Ed
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
            Christos,

            This is very excellent news indeed. I would very much appreciate having HDSDR capability. I find HDSDR a very fine software application which I am sure is going to continue to have enhanced features added. The DSP in particular is excellent compared to the PSDR which I find has lots of artifacts appearing as you change the tuning. Not so the HDSDR.

            Once again , I am delighted that you are making the functionality of your USB2SDR available for other selected SDR applications. This shall undoubtedly result in an increase in demand for the very excellent USB2SDR product.

            Thank you for the immense amount of effort you have put into the hobby. We all very much appreciate it.

            Ed GM3SBC

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:

              > Christos,
              >
              > This is very excellent news indeed. I would very much appreciate having HDSDR capability. I find HDSDR a very fine software application which I am sure is going to continue to have enhanced features added. The DSP in particular is excellent compared to the PSDR which I find has lots of artifacts appearing as you change the tuning. Not so the HDSDR.

              That is due to the way older PSDR versions handled the ATTiny smooth tuning. In recent version that is recified, also if you had the direct (I2C) connection enabled, that was also in better shape.
              Also, HDSDR and alike, are not using the Si570 in agile frquency mode (if I remember well), so they do not send frequency change sommands to the device upon each VFO change but only when you change VFO significantly outside the viewing area. Although that gives you the impression of better visual, its Tx this way could pretty much well be outside of ITU/FCC rules in spurious signals, so you have to be careful on that.

              IMHO, the real DSP engine inside PSDR (and that is not of course for the hardware issues like tuning) is all round way ahead of everything else today.

              > Once again , I am delighted that you are making the functionality of your USB2SDR available for other selected SDR applications. This shall undoubtedly result in an increase in demand for the very excellent USB2SDR product.

              We are trying in opening new possibilities and expand the horizon here and that in more supported platforms.
              Just yesterday we also had some very good news (after some tweeking) from OSX and Parallels in Apple Mac systems which is very interesting in 192KHz.

              > Thank you for the immense amount of effort you have put into the hobby. We all very much appreciate it.
              >
              > Ed GM3SBC
              >
              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@> wrote:
              > >
              > > LIKE!
              > >
              > > Thanks Christos. I have been out of the loop of late but appreciate
              > > yours and others continued efforts in developing this hardware and software.
              > >
              > > In considerable advance... Happy Holidays to you and yours!
              > >
              > > Bruce, K2BET
              > >
              > > ----
              > > On 11/17/2012 5:24 AM, sv1eia wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Eric,
              > > >
              > > > USB2SDR as you already know, is a DSP board dedicated for our SDR rigs.
              > > >
              > > > Applications so far were using the plain audio cards for this purpose,
              > > > yet USB2SDR came to give a better solution in terms of software
              > > > application and DSP/SDR hardware collaboration and ease of setup to users.
              > > >
              > > > So, it is dedicated to PowerSDR concepts and needs, with the
              > > > application interfacing 'Directly' to the board bypassing the 'audio'
              > > > subsystem latency. That is of importance as it allows near real time
              > > > performance of CW with USB2SDR.
              > > >
              > > > That means an application has to be aware of how USB2SDR works and
              > > > make use of it. PowerSDR-IQ, the homebrew rigs fork of PowerSDR from
              > > > Flexradio has been chosen for the purpose since IMHO nothing can come
              > > > close to it.
              > > >
              > > > Yet although an exclusive relationship is existing between USB2SDR and
              > > > PowerSDR-IQ, there are some projects as we speak that try to open this up.
              > > >
              > > > A good friend and team member here, is Demetris SV1OBT, where he got
              > > > the task of making USB2SDR available on other platforms and as first
              > > > is Linux. So here he has his project of using ghpsdr and USB2SDR
              > > > -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/message/65407
              > > > ->
              > > > http://www.robotmotion.gr/robotmotion/Projects/Entries/2012/5/25_USB2SDR_%2B_ghpsdr3_%3D_Great_SDR_system_for_Linux.html
              > > >
              > > > Also, together we work on a specialized Linux ALSA driver nowadays
              > > > that will enable USB2SDR to work under all Linux SDR applications.
              > > >
              > > > On Windows, I'm prepearing an SDK for those that want to include
              > > > 'Direct' comms to USB2SDR from within an application and soon (in one
              > > > to two weeks) this will be published. Contacted Yussef and he is
              > > > interested to have a go on sdrsharp with USB2SDR as soon as I send him
              > > > the SDK and a board to test.
              > > >
              > > > So, I jope these give you an idea of how things are progressing here. :-)
              > > >
              > > > 73,
              > > > Christos SV1EIA
              > > >
              > > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com

              > > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
              > > > signature database 7702 (20121117) __________
              > > >
              > > > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
              > > >
              > > > http://www.eset.com

            • applewiz2000
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
                > IMHO, the real DSP engine inside PSDR (and that is not of course for the hardware issues like tuning) is all round way ahead of everything else today.

                ...Also IMHO I find HDSDR a horrid ugly program to use, and the filtering is not substantially better to make up for that! They have advanced a lot but neither the user interface nor the "engine" behind it are up to the commercial standard of PSDR.

                ~Rob
                (M0RZF)