M Audio Delta 44 Output Signal Level Problem

  • Jim Elmore
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2012
      I use an output level from the sound card of +4dBu for my interface to the MOBO. This is needed to obtain a 5W output.

      What I have noticed is that PSDR-IQ causes the sound card output to default to -10 dBV when it starts up.

      How do I prevent this from happening? I would like to leave the output at +4dBu.

      Thanks & 73,
      Jim WA4YWM
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2012
        Jim,

        Are you using it as the selected supported option in setup,
        or selected as 'Unsupported' ?

        In the links section you have to read the link named
        "M-Audio Delta44 setup"
        -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/links
        for proper supported setup of the card.

        Some tweeking is required on the newer driver versions of D44, you can search past posts here in the group and you will find what is needed.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Elmore" <wa4ywm@...> wrote:

        > I use an output level from the sound card of +4dBu for my interface to the MOBO. This is needed to obtain a 5W output.
        >
        > What I have noticed is that PSDR-IQ causes the sound card output to default to -10 dBV when it starts up.
        >
        > How do I prevent this from happening? I would like to leave the output at +4dBu.
        >
        > Thanks & 73,
        > Jim WA4YWM

      • Jim Elmore
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2012
          Hi Christos,
          I don't believe you are fully understanding my problem.

          Note that I have been using the Delta 44 card with Softrock for several years and more recently with the MOBO. It is the selected card.

          The issue is that PSDR-IQ sets the Output to -10dBV when it starts up. I would like to be able to leave the setting at +4dBu without having to worry about making that selection every time I use the SDR.

          I hope this clarifies the issue.

          73, Jim WA4YWM

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2012
            Try to be a bit more descriptive, give us a few more details.

            Is it that you cannot have enough output whatever you do in PSDRIQ or is it only at application startup and then its ok?
            Did you try to use the "Drive" slider?

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Elmore" <wa4ywm@...> wrote:

            > Hi Christos,
            > I don't believe you are fully understanding my problem.
            >
            > Note that I have been using the Delta 44 card with Softrock for several years and more recently with the MOBO. It is the selected card.
            >
            > The issue is that PSDR-IQ sets the Output to -10dBV when it starts up. I would like to be able to leave the setting at +4dBu without having to worry about making that selection every time I use the SDR.
            >
            > I hope this clarifies the issue.
            >
            > 73, Jim WA4YWM
            >
            > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Jim,
            > >
            > > Are you using it as the selected supported option in setup,
            > > or selected as 'Unsupported' ?
            > >
            > > In the links section you have to read the link named
            > > "M-Audio Delta44 setup"
            > > -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/links
            > > for proper supported setup of the card.
            > >
            > > Some tweeking is required on the newer driver versions of D44, you can search past posts here in the group and you will find what is needed.

            > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Elmore" <wa4ywm@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I use an output level from the sound card of +4dBu for my interface to the MOBO. This is needed to obtain a 5W output.
            > > >
            > > > What I have noticed is that PSDR-IQ causes the sound card output to default to -10 dBV when it starts up.
            > > >
            > > > How do I prevent this from happening? I would like to leave the output at +4dBu.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks & 73,
            > > > Jim WA4YWM

          • Jim Elmore
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
              Christos,
              OK. I will try to provide more detail.

              I want to permanently set the output of the Delta 44 to +4dBu. I cannot do this if I run PSDR-IQ.

              Here is what happens:
              1. I open the Delta 44 Control Panel and select +4dBu by clicking the radio button for that selection. Then I click Done.
              2. Start PSDR-IQ
              3. At some point during the PSDR-IQ startup the output of the Delta 44 is set back to -10dBV (I do not want this behavior).

              I know that PSDR-IQ is doing this because I can see that the output has been set back to -10dBV when I open the Delta 44 Control Panel. I have also opened the Control Panel, started PSDR-IQ and watched while the output changes from +4dBu to -10dBV during the PSDR-IQ startup.

              I need this level from the Delta 44 because I am unable to obtain sufficient drive at the -10 dBV level to get 5W output from the MOBO.

              I hope this additional description is helpful.

              73, Jim WA4YWM

              > Try to be a bit more descriptive, give us a few more details.
              >
              > Is it that you cannot have enough output whatever you do in PSDRIQ or is it only at application startup and then its ok?
              > Did you try to use the "Drive" slider?
              >

              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Elmore" <wa4ywm@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Christos,
              > > I don't believe you are fully understanding my problem.
              > >
              > > Note that I have been using the Delta 44 card with Softrock for several years and more recently with the MOBO. It is the selected card.
              > >
              > > The issue is that PSDR-IQ sets the Output to -10dBV when it starts up. I would like to be able to leave the setting at +4dBu without having to worry about making that selection every time I use the SDR.
              > >
              > > I hope this clarifies the issue.
              > >
              > > 73, Jim WA4YWM
              > >
              > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Jim,
              > > >
              > > > Are you using it as the selected supported option in setup,
              > > > or selected as 'Unsupported' ?
              > > >
              > > > In the links section you have to read the link named
              > > > "M-Audio Delta44 setup"
              > > > -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/links
              > > > for proper supported setup of the card.
              > > >
              > > > Some tweeking is required on the newer driver versions of D44, you can search past posts here in the group and you will find what is needed.
              > > >
              > > > 73,
              > > > Christos SV1EIA

            • Preston Douglas
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                Yes, my PSDR-iq behaves the same with my D-44.  Somehow, PSDR resets the output range level of the D-44 back to -4dB.  I too find that the D-44 control panel application must be changed to 0 dB for adequate audio drive for the transmitter, and it is a nuisance to do this every time I open PSDR.  However, if this comment sounds ungrateful, I must add that IQ is so good, I use it whenever I am in the shack, and I am very happy to have it!

                Preston Douglas  WJ2V

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                  Jim,

                  That cleared quite a few things.

                  Setting this at -10dBu is the default behaviour of PowerSDR as it is also indicated on the setup guide

                  "CAUTION: It is extremely important to use the settings in the Delta Control Panel as described below in order
                  not to damage the SDR-1000 hardware due to overdriving the audio. Make sure the output is set to -10dBv
                  as shown in the screenshots below. The software will attempt to ensure this setting is in the right position on
                  startup."

                  That means you have a few options

                  1. Return to your previous software.
                  2. Wait until a next version comes and this will be added as a bypass for the homebrew rigs.
                  3. Increase the PA bias setting on your mobo to achieve the same output.
                  4. build something easy like that
                  -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/files/USB2SDR%20OutputVoltageAmplifier/

                  As a note, the +4dBu is a real high voltage of 3.5 (PP) volts on line out and it could be damaging, thats why they reduce it.

                  Nominal values for homebrew rigs are between 1V to max 2V.

                  --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Elmore" <wa4ywm@...> wrote:

                  > Christos,
                  > OK. I will try to provide more detail.
                  >
                  > I want to permanently set the output of the Delta 44 to +4dBu. I cannot do this if I run PSDR-IQ.
                  >
                  > Here is what happens:
                  > 1. I open the Delta 44 Control Panel and select +4dBu by clicking the radio button for that selection. Then I click Done.
                  > 2. Start PSDR-IQ
                  > 3. At some point during the PSDR-IQ startup the output of the Delta 44 is set back to -10dBV (I do not want this behavior).
                  >
                  > I know that PSDR-IQ is doing this because I can see that the output has been set back to -10dBV when I open the Delta 44 Control Panel. I have also opened the Control Panel, started PSDR-IQ and watched while the output changes from +4dBu to -10dBV during the PSDR-IQ startup.
                  >
                  > I need this level from the Delta 44 because I am unable to obtain sufficient drive at the -10 dBV level to get 5W output from the MOBO.
                  >
                  > I hope this additional description is helpful.
                  >
                  > 73, Jim WA4YWM
                  >
                  > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Try to be a bit more descriptive, give us a few more details.
                  > >
                  > > Is it that you cannot have enough output whatever you do in PSDRIQ or is it only at application startup and then its ok?
                  > > Did you try to use the "Drive" slider?
                  > >

                  > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Elmore" <wa4ywm@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Christos,
                  > > > I don't believe you are fully understanding my problem.
                  > > >
                  > > > Note that I have been using the Delta 44 card with Softrock for several years and more recently with the MOBO. It is the selected card.
                  > > >
                  > > > The issue is that PSDR-IQ sets the Output to -10dBV when it starts up. I would like to be able to leave the setting at +4dBu without having to worry about making that selection every time I use the SDR.
                  > > >
                  > > > I hope this clarifies the issue.
                  > > >
                  > > > 73, Jim WA4YWM

                • wa4ywm
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                    Christos,
                    Tnx for the reply. I just wanted to understand if I had any options.

                    I have always used PSDR-IQ for SSB. I was using Rocky for PSK but with a VAC I'm now using PDSR-IQ for everything. I'll just need to always remember to set the level. By two replies I have received I see that I am not the only one with this issue.

                    Thanks for your work and support on PSDR-IQ. It's a great piece of software.

                    73, Jim WA4YWM

                    > Jim,
                    >
                    > That cleared quite a few things.
                    >
                    > Setting this at -10dBu is the default behaviour of PowerSDR as it is also indicated on the setup guide
                    >
                    > "CAUTION: It is extremely important to use the settings in the Delta Control Panel as described below in order
                    > not to damage the SDR-1000 hardware due to overdriving the audio. Make sure the output is set to -10dBv
                    > as shown in the screenshots below. The software will attempt to ensure this setting is in the right position on
                    > startup."
                    >
                    > That means you have a few options
                    >
                    > 1. Return to your previous software.
                    > 2. Wait until a next version comes and this will be added as a bypass for the homebrew rigs.
                    > 3. Increase the PA bias setting on your mobo to achieve the same output.
                    > 4. build something easy like that
                    > -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/files/USB2SDR%20OutputVoltageAmplifier/
                    >
                    > As a note, the +4dBu is a real high voltage of 3.5 (PP) volts on line out and it could be damaging, thats why they reduce it.
                    >
                    > Nominal values for homebrew rigs are between 1V to max 2V.

                    > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Elmore" <wa4ywm@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Christos,
                    > > OK. I will try to provide more detail.
                    > >
                    > > I want to permanently set the output of the Delta 44 to +4dBu. I cannot do this if I run PSDR-IQ.
                    > >
                    > > Here is what happens:
                    > > 1. I open the Delta 44 Control Panel and select +4dBu by clicking the radio button for that selection. Then I click Done.
                    > > 2. Start PSDR-IQ
                    > > 3. At some point during the PSDR-IQ startup the output of the Delta 44 is set back to -10dBV (I do not want this behavior).
                    > >
                    > > I know that PSDR-IQ is doing this because I can see that the output has been set back to -10dBV when I open the Delta 44 Control Panel. I have also opened the Control Panel, started PSDR-IQ and watched while the output changes from +4dBu to -10dBV during the PSDR-IQ startup.
                    > >
                    > > I need this level from the Delta 44 because I am unable to obtain sufficient drive at the -10 dBV level to get 5W output from the MOBO.
                    > >
                    > > I hope this additional description is helpful.
                    > >
                    > > 73, Jim WA4YWM
                    > >
                    > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Try to be a bit more descriptive, give us a few more details.
                    > > >
                    > > > Is it that you cannot have enough output whatever you do in PSDRIQ or is it only at application startup and then its ok?
                    > > > Did you try to use the "Drive" slider?

                  • g8voip
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                      Hi Jim,

                      Interesting, just to let you know I have no problem getting 5W out of my v4.3 mobo set up on the lower HF bands using a Delta 44 and the standard default soundcard set up. For 21MHz and above the power does drop off a little to 3 - 4W.

                      Only differences I can think of is I am using one of George's v6.3ng boards as the driver, perhaps it has higher gain in the QSE part, or power output does also depend a little on the filter set you are using on the mobo. The set using the SMD inductors is a little more lossy so reduces the power output. Currently using the set with the hand wound toroids here.

                      You could probably increase the gain a little in the QSE op-amp stage if needed for a SoftRock v6.3.

                      73, Bob G8VOI

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                        Hi Bob,

                        As usual, spot-on !!

                        > You could probably increase the gain a little in the QSE op-amp stage if needed for a SoftRock v6.3.

                        That is the best and easiest to implement option (which I forgot to mention here although I'm doing it in almost all my rigs :-) ) changing just two resistors on the Tx opamp and Jim can have more than he can wish for.

                        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jim,
                        >
                        > Interesting, just to let you know I have no problem getting 5W out of my v4.3 mobo set up on the lower HF bands using a Delta 44 and the standard default soundcard set up. For 21MHz and above the power does drop off a little to 3 - 4W.
                        >
                        > Only differences I can think of is I am using one of George's v6.3ng boards as the driver, perhaps it has higher gain in the QSE part, or power output does also depend a little on the filter set you are using on the mobo. The set using the SMD inductors is a little more lossy so reduces the power output. Currently using the set with the hand wound toroids here.
                        >
                        > You could probably increase the gain a little in the QSE op-amp stage if needed for a SoftRock v6.3.
                        >
                        > 73, Bob G8VOI
                        >

                        > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "wa4ywm" <wa4ywm@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Christos,
                        > > Tnx for the reply. I just wanted to understand if I had any options.
                        > >
                        > > I have always used PSDR-IQ for SSB. I was using Rocky for PSK but with a VAC I'm now using PDSR-IQ for everything. I'll just need to always remember to set the level. By two replies I have received I see that I am not the only one with this issue.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for your work and support on PSDR-IQ. It's a great piece of software.
                        > >
                        > > 73, Jim WA4YWM
                        > >
                        > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Jim,
                        > > >
                        > > > That cleared quite a few things.
                        > > >
                        > > > Setting this at -10dBu is the default behaviour of PowerSDR as it is also indicated on the setup guide
                        > > >
                        > > > "CAUTION: It is extremely important to use the settings in the Delta Control Panel as described below in order
                        > > > not to damage the SDR-1000 hardware due to overdriving the audio. Make sure the output is set to -10dBv
                        > > > as shown in the screenshots below. The software will attempt to ensure this setting is in the right position on
                        > > > startup."
                        > > >
                        > > > That means you have a few options
                        > > >
                        > > > 1. Return to your previous software.
                        > > > 2. Wait until a next version comes and this will be added as a bypass for the homebrew rigs.
                        > > > 3. Increase the PA bias setting on your mobo to achieve the same output.
                        > > > 4. build something easy like that
                        > > > -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/files/USB2SDR%20OutputVoltageAmplifier/
                        > > >
                        > > > As a note, the +4dBu is a real high voltage of 3.5 (PP) volts on line out and it could be damaging, thats why they reduce it.
                        > > >
                        > > > Nominal values for homebrew rigs are between 1V to max 2V.
                        > > >
                        > > > 73,
                        > > > Christos SV1EIA

                      • Jim Elmore
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                          Bob and/or Christos,

                          What are good values to use for my Softrock 6.3?

                          73, Jim

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                            If calculations are correct,
                            since you have now a max out of -10dBu (~ 690mV PP),
                            then by placing a 2K2 on R1 and R7 (replacing the 10K),
                            it looks to me that you could have a good result.