Muting PowerSDR from CAT port command?

  • rywessel
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2012
      Hi-

      I have PowerSDR setup with my Softrock Ensemble to act as a tracking receiver with my Yaesu 897.

      Here is my setup:

      PowerSDR running an SR Ensemble

      DXLAB for radio control and logging

      Yaesu 897 acting as my transmitter, tracking the PowerSDR SW.

      RF switching antennea switch etc.

      Everything works nicely except for muting. I can't seem to figure out how to get the PowerSDR program to mute the receive when I key my rig. The problem is that I get a bunch of feedback when I transmit. I know I can build a bunch of relays to mechanically do it with the audio out but I'm in search of a much more elegant SW only solution. My thought is that somehow, a CAT command is sent to PowerSDR when I key the transmit causing it to mute the receive.

      Any suggestions? Can this be done?

      thanks,

      Robin Wessel
      KF7TGI
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2012
        Hi Robin,

        I do not know of anyway you could mute the Ensemble or PowerSDR via CAT commands.

        There is a very simple solution using a single relay contact. On the Ensemble RX PCB there is a link fitted marked /QSD EN. This is normally grounded to enable the mixer. If you replace that link with a relay contact so it is closed on receive and open on transmit, that will disable the RX mixer when transmitting and should sort out the problem with feedback etc.

        I use something similar with my SoftRock v9.0 RX / VHF converter and Ensemble VHF RX so I do not blast my own ears out when transmitting.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "rywessel" <robin.wessel@...> wrote:

        > Hi-
        >
        > I have PowerSDR setup with my Softrock Ensemble to act as a tracking receiver with my Yaesu 897.
        >
        > Here is my setup:
        >
        > PowerSDR running an SR Ensemble
        >
        > DXLAB for radio control and logging
        >
        > Yaesu 897 acting as my transmitter, tracking the PowerSDR SW.
        >
        > RF switching antennea switch etc.
        >

        > Everything works nicely except for muting. I can't seem to figure out how to get the PowerSDR program to mute the receive when I key my rig. The problem is that I get a bunch of feedback when I transmit. I know I can build a bunch of relays to mechanically do it with the audio out but I'm in search of a much more elegant SW only solution. My thought is that somehow, a CAT command is sent to PowerSDR when I key the transmit causing it to mute the receive.
        >
        > Any suggestions? Can this be done?
        >

        > thanks,
        >
        > Robin Wessel
        > KF7TGI

      • applewiz2000
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
          Hi Robin,

          Sorry I don't agree with Bob that having relays will solve the feedback problem in SSB. PSDR is designed only to work with a set of approved soundcards, with multiple channels. From the viewpoint of Flex this also encourages sales of their own new rigs. The bug has been reported ages ago, they will do nothing about it.

          But all is not lost. You simply mute the computer's audio in windows when transmitting. Use a key sequencer, and there is the added bonus of having a keyboard key of your choice for RxTx switching.

          73,
          Rob
        • rywessel
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
            Rob-

            Thanks for the suggestion.

            What is a key sequencer? I'm vaguely familliar with a relay sequencer but I'm guessing this is different.

            My current implementation is that TX audio does not go thru the computer at all (being a newbie ham I only do SSB). If you have some recommendations on a better route let me know.

            thanks,

            robin
            KF7TGI

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "applewiz2000" <rob.m0rzf@...> wrote:

            > Hi Robin,
            >
            > Sorry I don't agree with Bob that having relays will solve the feedback problem in SSB. PSDR is designed only to work with a set of approved soundcards, with multiple channels. From the viewpoint of Flex this also encourages sales of their own new rigs. The bug has been reported ages ago, they will do nothing about it.
            >
            > But all is not lost. You simply mute the computer's audio in windows when transmitting. Use a key sequencer, and there is the added bonus of having a keyboard key of your choice for RxTx switching.
            >
            > 73,
            > Rob

          • Alan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
              Subject: [powersdr-iq] Re: Muting PowerSDR from CAT port command?

              > Sorry I don't agree with Bob that having relays will solve the feedback
              > problem in SSB.

              Rob,

              What do you mean? The feedback is because the audio does not get muted. A
              simple relay will switch off the speaker/phones - no feedback. The feedback
              is not in the software.

              73 Alan

              PSDR is designed only to work with a set of approved soundcards, with
              multiple channels. From the viewpoint of Flex this also encourages sales of
              their own new rigs. The bug has been reported ages ago, they will do nothing
              about it.

              > But all is not lost. You simply mute the computer's audio in windows when
              > transmitting. Use a key sequencer, and there is the added bonus of having
              > a keyboard key of your choice for RxTx switching.
              >
              > 73,
              > Rob

            • g8voip
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
                Hi Rob,

                I think you have miss understood the original question.

                He is only using the Ensemble and PowerSDR as a tracking receiver, not for transmitting, so it is only a case of muting the Ensemble receiver when he is transmitting on his other rig. Simply controlling a relay from the rigs PTT line to make or break the /QSD EN link will provide the facility to disable the mixer and mute the receiver.

                Think you are getting confused with the commoncomplaint of PSDR not working properly from those who insist or persist in trying to use two separate sound cards.

                73, Bob G8VOI

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "applewiz2000" <rob.m0rzf@...> wrote:

                > Hi Robin,
                >
                > Sorry I don't agree with Bob that having relays will solve the feedback problem in SSB. PSDR is designed only to work with a set of approved soundcards, with multiple channels. From the viewpoint of Flex this also encourages sales of their own new rigs. The bug has been reported ages ago, they will do nothing about it.
                >
                > But all is not lost. You simply mute the computer's audio in windows when transmitting. Use a key sequencer, and there is the added bonus of having a keyboard key of your choice for RxTx switching.
                >
                > 73,
                > Rob

              • applewiz2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
                  Yes you are right Bob,
                  I misunderstood the original question!

                  There may be a way to mute PSDR at the same time as the external rig, by sending it into Tx using the RTS line of a COM port. But that would be more complicated than just using a relay as you say.

                  FWIW I always felt the RxTx switching should have been on a definable key in PSDR. So I killed 2 birds with one stone.

                  ~Rob

                  --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:
                  > Hi Rob,
                  >
                  > I think you have miss understood the original question.
                  >
                  > He is only using the Ensemble and PowerSDR as a tracking receiver, not for transmitting, so it is only a case of muting the Ensemble receiver when he is transmitting on his other rig. Simply controlling a relay from the rigs PTT line to make or break the /QSD EN link will provide the facility to disable the mixer and mute the receiver.
                  >
                  > Think you are getting confused with the commoncomplaint of PSDR not working properly from those who insist or persist in trying to use two separate sound cards.

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
                    What I did here was to use the open frame relay on a Dow-Key to open the connection from my audio mixer before it goes to my speakers.  You could do the same with an inline relay on the audio out to your computer speakers.

                    What's handy with that setup is that I can TX and listen to my actual over the air audio to adjust things with headphones.

                    You may need a variable timer depending on the latency or you will get a 'squelch crash' with the latency if it opens too fast.

                    --
                    73  de Chris -- KC2RGW
                    KC2RGW@W2LI.#NNJ.NJ.USA.NOAM