Image rejection, unusual problem?

  • g4faw@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
      Hi All,
      I have an unusual problem using PowerSdr-IQ and a softrock Ensemble RXTX on 80m & 40m. The whole set up works perfectly on Rx & Tx except that on Rx the Image is only about 25dB down. If I increase the input level above about -40dbm the image dissappears and when I reduce the input level back down to lower levels then the image has completely dissappeared and remains apparently perfect until I turn it all off and restart the program and the image is back again... I have got a calibrated sig gen so am sure that the levels are correct. Anybody got any ideas?
      Thanks
      Dave G4FAW
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
        Hi Dave,

        It looks you have the 1.19.3.x preview version.

        Yes, that is a known issue there, it takes a lot of time to get the image calibrated with the Wide Band Image Rejection WBIR algo, unless a strong signal is on the panadapter whereas then it does it quickly.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g4faw@..." <g4faw@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I have an unusual problem using PowerSdr-IQ and a softrock Ensemble RXTX on 80m & 40m. The whole set up works perfectly on Rx & Tx except that on Rx the Image is only about 25dB down. If I increase the input level above about -40dbm the image dissappears and when I reduce the input level back down to lower levels then the image has completely dissappeared and remains apparently perfect until I turn it all off and restart the program and the image is back again... I have got a calibrated sig gen so am sure that the levels are correct. Anybody got any ideas?
        > Thanks
        > Dave G4FAW

      • G4FAW
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
          Thanks Cristos, I thought I was going mad................ Is there a new
          version I can download that solves this problem?

          73,

          Dave G4FAW

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
            Dave,

            :-) Actually that was ok in the previous version, 1.12.20, utilizing a bit different algo (Effective Image Adjustment).

            There is a new version (v2.x) at works, it consolidates previous homebrew rig features and the USB2SDR support, yet it will take a little bit more to get out.

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, G4FAW <g4faw@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Cristos, I thought I was going mad................ Is there a new
            > version I can download that solves this problem?
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Dave G4FAW
            >
            > On 10/01/2012 21:23, sv1eia wrote:
            > > Hi Dave,
            > >
            > > It looks you have the 1.19.3.x preview version.
            > >
            > > Yes, that is a known issue there, it takes a lot of time to get the image calibrated with the Wide Band Image Rejection WBIR algo, unless a strong signal is on the panadapter whereas then it does it quickly.

            > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g4faw@"<g4faw@> wrote:
            > >> Hi All,
            > >> I have an unusual problem using PowerSdr-IQ and a softrock Ensemble RXTX on 80m& 40m. The whole set up works perfectly on Rx& Tx except that on Rx the Image is only about 25dB down. If I increase the input level above about -40dbm the image dissappears and when I reduce the input level back down to lower levels then the image has completely dissappeared and remains apparently perfect until I turn it all off and restart the program and the image is back again... I have got a calibrated sig gen so am sure that the levels are correct. Anybody got any ideas?
            > >> Thanks
            > >> Dave G4FAW

          • G4FAW
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
              Christos,

              I'm not too worried now that I know that it's not my Rx, I'll wait until
              you get the new version out.

              Thanks for all your hard work.

              73
              Dave G4FAW

              On 10/01/2012 21:32, sv1eia wrote:
              > Dave,
              >
              > :-) Actually that was ok in the previous version, 1.12.20, utilizing a bit different algo (Effective Image Adjustment).
              >
              > There is a new version (v2.x) at works, it consolidates previous homebrew rig features and the USB2SDR support, yet it will take a little bit more to get out.

              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, G4FAW<g4faw@...> wrote:
              >> Thanks Cristos, I thought I was going mad................ Is there a new
              >> version I can download that solves this problem?
              >>
              >> 73,
              >>
              >> Dave G4FAW
              >>
              >> On 10/01/2012 21:23, sv1eia wrote:
              >>> Hi Dave,
              >>>
              >>> It looks you have the 1.19.3.x preview version.
              >>>
              >>> Yes, that is a known issue there, it takes a lot of time to get the image calibrated with the Wide Band Image Rejection WBIR algo, unless a strong signal is on the panadapter whereas then it does it quickly.
              >>>
              >>> 73,
              >>> Christos SV1EIA

            • Pete Ferrand
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
                Hi Dave:

                Yes this is not an unusual problem but an annoying one. Until we get software that fixes it, you might like to know how I solved the problem.

                All it takes to get automatic image rejection is a strong signal. This can be provided by anything you have around in the way of a transmitter, VFO, antenna analyzer, etc.

                I wanted a more convenient approach so I built up a 100kHz crystal calibrator and installed in inside the box that contains my SoftRock. It's output is loosly coupled to the SR input. I have a momentary switch on the front that turns it on, so all I have is push the button whenever I change bands or turn on the set. Obviously this puts out a very strong signal and I can see the image drop to zero in a few seconds.

                Hope this helps.

                -Pete
                WB2QLL
                Somers, WI

                >I'm not too worried now that I know that it's not my Rx, I'll wait until
                >you get the new version out.
                >
                >Thanks for all your hard work.
                >
                >73
                >Dave G4FAW
                >
                >On 10/01/2012 21:32, sv1eia wrote:
                >> Dave,
                >>
                >> :-) Actually that was ok in the previous version, 1.12.20, utilizing a bit different algo (Effective Image Adjustment).
                >>
                >> There is a new version (v2.x) at works, it consolidates previous homebrew rig features and the USB2SDR support, yet it will take a little bit more to get out.
                >>
                >> 73,
                >> Christos SV1EIA
                >>

                >> --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, G4FAW<g4faw@...> wrote:
                >>> Thanks Cristos, I thought I was going mad................ Is there a new
                >>> version I can download that solves this problem?
                >>>
                >>> 73,
                >>>
                >>> Dave G4FAW

              • G4FAW
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 11, 2012
                  Hi Pete,

                  Thanks for that, great Idea, I'll probably implement that.

                  Dave G4FAW