RE: [powersdr-iq] Re: Use of PowerSDR-IQ V1.12.6 with Softrock v6.1

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 16, 2008
      Hi Christos.

      Thank you for the information and recommendations. This would be OK for my
      home station but I am trying to get a fully portable Laptop station together
      and it seems that that LP parallel ports are a thing of the past. I would
      like to have an interface that works with USB eventually. In the meantime,
      I will put the LP port recommendation to work just to get familiar with the
      Softrock 6.1 on PWRsdr.

      Actually I have several components, Si570LVDS and some driver chips, and
      probably a regulator or 2. But I don't have the slightest idea how to get a
      USB interfaced to the 570. I also have a 995X board and components. Also
      have 9951(2) 9851(2) a firmware chip and Daves 570 board. Lots of hardware
      and the desire HiHi. All I need to do is get this all glued together. I am
      not sure what the firmware DDS provides, I got this last year and somehow
      forgot what it is for.

      73, Ray, N0FY

    • jeffuzs
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 17, 2008
        Hi Alan,
        Thanks for the comments. Howvever, it appears that using a PIC to
        control the SI570 won't work because PowerSDR-IQ requires control of
        the oscillator. As I see it it using a PIC is the same as using a
        single xtal. In my project I do not need to tune using the SDR screen -
        - the tuning would be done by my mixing conversion LO.
        I am generally aroun 80M at about 9AM near 3745 - Welsh net - please
        call if you hear me.

        Regards
        Jeff GW3UZS

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <g4zfq@...> wrote:

> [...]
      • Christos Nikolaou
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
          Hi Ray,

          Let me explain one possible setup with LPT/Si570/SoftRock

          Your ingredients
          1.LPT port
          2.Si570 board from WB6DHW
          3.Si570 (preferably CMOS since it gives +14dBm and has plenty of
          voltage drive capability, otherwise the LVDS needs an additional LVDS
          to LVTTL level converter to in order to work with softrock like the
          FIN1002)
          4.Softrock
          5.PowerSDR-IQ

          Your LPT port will provide control based on the aforementioned 'LPT
          connections.pdf' document.
          In there you can see what LPT pins connect to what pins of the Si570
          board.
          Also you can see what LPT pins connect directly to what softrock pins.

          Some of the LPT pins defined in the .pdf are used as
          a. outputs in order to drive the Si570, the Tx to softrock and
          possibly relays to switch in-line BPF or LPF or even multiple
          softrocks based on the selected band
          b. inputs in order to listen your external PTT or CW Key/Paddles

          If you need USB connectivity one possible scenario is with the above
          mentioned parts plus the HSUSB interface from Dave. In that case the
          LPT is substituted from HSUSB's pins and the pin-to-pin connectivity
          is described in the document named 'USB connections for PTT_CW_BPF
          control.pdf'.
          In both these setups you can have configurable up to 32 BPF or LPF
          zones to cover effectively the HF range (or even more in the future).

          Another USB combination can be with the

          1.USB to I2C from Tony
          2.Si570
          3.Si570 board from Dave
          4.SoftRock
          5.PowerSDR-IQ

          In this one you can utilize Tony's interface to control the Si570 and
          perform Tx and CW control but without BPF/LPF. (The Softrock V9 with
          the HF BPF control is Rx only and substitutes the Tx/CW ATTiny pins
          with the BPF control pins, thus you cannot have both Tx and BPF)

          The 995x case is a bit more complex since it will involve construction
          of the 995x from your side, but it can reward you because the 995x
          board is a quite versatile beast.
          It can be a USB interface and provide you with a VFO that can go realy
          low down to VLF with the AD995x whereas Si570 stops at 2.5MHz LO
          (10MHz osc.). It can also control the BPF board from Dave and the
          Tx/PTT/CW of Softrock.

          Based on these you can now understand why I first pointed the LPT
          solution as the first to be checked out. If you do this first then it
          is quite easy to proceed to a USB just like an upgrade.

          All the above combinations are supported from PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.07

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
            Hi Christos,

            I can see per your advice that I have several options. I will proceed with
            with a USB - 570LVDS - FIN1002 solution (I will have to take a look at board
            options to see which will accommodate the components). In the meantime I
            will put a LPT solution together just to get PWRsdr running on on my 20/30
            RXTX V6.1 Board.

            Thank You for your advice and taking time to answer my query - you have been
            very helpful. Also thanks for the all the software work you are doing.

            Have a good Holiday

            73, Ray, N0FY

          • w7rjc
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <N0FY@...> wrote:
              >Hi Ray .. Ray W7RJC here. I've been following your and Christos's
              messages and thought I would drop a line of enchouragement to you.
              I am running daily the following RXtX setup:
              1- 4 6.2 RxTx boards .. 80M thru 10M each selected by P-SDR-IQ. All
              mounted in one cabinet
              2- The chosen RxTx (band) feeds a HF Projects PA-100. This is set up
              as a driver for a HF Projects HF Packer Amp to 20-25 watts. This in
              turn can be used to drive my Alpha 95.
              3- The LO is a board from Dave using a Si570 LVDS chip and is auto
              switched to each RxTx as needed. I am controling it with the HSUSB
              board from Dave. I am also using relay controled LPF from HF
              Projects which are also controled from the HSUSB board.

              This has been quit a transceiver to build up .. but has been a fun
              project. I enjoy using it MUCH more then my FT-1000!!! Christos
              vrsion of PowerSDR-IQ is a fantastic program to use.

              I hope this give you some Idea what can be done with the varios
              combinations of boards available. Good Luck .. Ray W7RJC

            • Ray
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
                Thanks Ray - Sounds like a really great station, you have gone a long way
                and a lot further than I hope to go - I will be happy just to get a QRP
                Softrock with the USB interface on the air. If I get that far I may
                consider going to the 100 PA.

                How did you interface LVDS chip to the Softrock - I was planning to use the
                FIN1002 but there does not seem to be board that accomodates it??

                Thanks for the info and encouragement - I probably will need it

                73, Ray, N0FY

              • w7rjc
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
                  --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <N0FY@...> wrote:
                  > Hi Ray .. I had to dead bug the FIN1002 on the Si570 board .. If I
                  remember correctly I hot glued it down then added the wiring. (I
                  used a magnifing headset to see the leads) I would consider the CMOS
                  version if I had to do it over.

                  As far as interfacing to the RxTx 6.2 I probably did an over kill. I
                  took each RxTx and removed the parts and added jumpers as if I was
                  going to use it with a daughter board (that tony sold). I then fed
                  the output of the Fin1002 to JP1 .. get a RxTx v6.2 with daughter
                  board print(page 2of2) from the files area .. you'll see what I am
                  talking about.(I didn't use a daughter board .. just set the RxTx up
                  as if I was going to)

                  Please keep in mind this is a V6.2 board .. I have done this with
                  one V6.1 board and it worked ok also. The part ID's may be different
                  so be mindful of that.
                  Glad to help Ray W7RJC

                • Ray
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 18, 2008
                    Ah ha the old dead bug trick - I can do that I think, like you say the
                    leads are tiny so I will just have to wait for a calm sea. I would use the
                    CMOS but I already have the LVDS Early production chips (2 of them). I
                    prefer not to buy more if I can get by without them at least give it a try.
                    I have 4 or 5 of the FIN1002 so if I trash a few it is not a big deal.

                    Thanks Again

                    73 and Happy Holiday, Ray , N0FY