Re: Preview version 1.19

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 13, 2011
      Hi Rob,

      Yes, the new USB2SDR specific versions tend to have some manual interventions in the image rejection, actually there, the phase adjustment its not on the software but at the hardware level utilizing the codec itself and its DSP adjustments.
      You are right in your observations of the WBIR and I'm also reviewing the way it is applied. After all, it has to be tailored a bit for our homebrew rigs and their intricacies. Its identified that Rx/Tx changes and Start/Stop does destabilize WBIR as it is right now so I'm on the process to hopefully fix these.

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "applewiz2000" <rob.m0rzf@...> wrote:

      > Hi Pete/Christos,
      >
      > The 1.19 version approaches it's second birthday now, and continues to be the backbone of my SDR setup here.
      >
      > It is possible to preview the official v2.2.3. Installing it doesn't affect 1.19 beta, and the database setups can be imported OK. The thing that does not work is the tuning.
      >
      > In common with 1.19 beta, the official version plays well with DG8SAQ accessory programs like CFGSDR and MoBoControl. It can be tuned about, but of course the panadaptor shows the wrong frequency.
      >
      > As reported the WBIR seems to have the same problems. I reduced the issue on my system by having a preamp for upper bands. Also using the stop/start button sometimes makes the image rejection start again. The Si570 pauses during large tuning steps, which often kills the WBIR.
      >
      > It would be nice to have a manual alternative for image rejection, and inside the more recent USB2SDR versions there is exactly that...
      >
      > 73, Rob.
      >

      > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sv1eia" <sv1eia@> wrote:
      > > Hi Pete,
      > >
      > > Yes, that is planned regarding the move from 1.19.x to 2.2.x.
      > > Yet on the auto image reduction the WBIR algos are exactly the same in both versins so I dont think there will be anything more as improvement.
      > >
      > > The new real goodies are the proper FM mode instead of the FMN and all the 'peripheral' tasks around this like repeater offsets, tones, memories, deviation settings etc

    • Luis Cupido
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 13, 2011
        Hi Christos,

        Looks fine indeed moving to the GPIO but that does not necessarily mean
        having to kill the LPT am I right?
        There are the virtual LPT that goes over USB that works without any
        issues for anyone that has no physical LPT, by ending it on a USB
        microcontroller (I for myself use Cypress but many flavors are obviously
        possible). Even the GPIO usage could be a virtual LPT on the PC side
        this way you have no need for any effort on the PC side. Lets say power
        SDR doesn't need to know about GPIO at all for sdr1k configuration.
        Well this is me thinking out loud ! As I would love not to cripple the
        LPT there for compatibility with sdr1k and all other sorts of home made
        stuff that rely on that. (I mean the LPT as seen from the software, my
        be a USB or else ending anywhere GPIO or else)

        One question will your next revision also follow the actual flex
        versions and have the direct CW-paddle removed and force padle to
        migrate to a serial port ? (like the new PSDR versions are now). Again
        it is the same as before, most PC's wont come with RS232 anymore...
        I understand why they did it for their actual radios, but why they have
        took it out of the LPT (that only affects the 1k) is something that
        beats me.

        Luis Cupido
        ct1dmk.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 14, 2011
          Hi Luis,

          The main point here is where can I direct my time and resources.
          I do have an obligation to those that give trust and supported the USB2SDR so this is my main driving force for further development.

          I cannot see why to keep a long gone interface just because there is a USB to LPT, cascading an interface on an interface ! After all, USB has became the standard in the last 10 years and it is becaming with USB3 the standard for the next 10 years.
          Even Microsoft is scrapping XP for W7 (Vista just got 'lost in between') and now soon we will have W8 and another tall wall for us in the s/w to jump over.

          In respect to CW, USB2SDR GPIO provides specific CW/Paddles connector and when used/enabled from PowerSDR-IQ excels with latency timed around 20ms and that beats even some plain commercial rigs.

          Adding the fact that Flex has gone 'closed source' for some s/w subsystems and one is the CW in PowerSDR v2, you can see that obstacles keep piling up making the lives of those trying to have PowerSDR modifications for homebrew rigs quite difficult.

          I understand that these were not what you wanted to read, yet we have to move forward.

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Luis Cupido <cupido@...> wrote:

          > Hi Christos,
          >
          > Looks fine indeed moving to the GPIO but that does not necessarily mean
          > having to kill the LPT am I right?
          > There are the virtual LPT that goes over USB that works without any
          > issues for anyone that has no physical LPT, by ending it on a USB
          > microcontroller (I for myself use Cypress but many flavors are obviously
          > possible). Even the GPIO usage could be a virtual LPT on the PC side
          > this way you have no need for any effort on the PC side. Lets say power
          > SDR doesn't need to know about GPIO at all for sdr1k configuration.
          > Well this is me thinking out loud ! As I would love not to cripple the
          > LPT there for compatibility with sdr1k and all other sorts of home made
          > stuff that rely on that. (I mean the LPT as seen from the software, my
          > be a USB or else ending anywhere GPIO or else)
          >
          > One question will your next revision also follow the actual flex
          > versions and have the direct CW-paddle removed and force padle to
          > migrate to a serial port ? (like the new PSDR versions are now). Again
          > it is the same as before, most PC's wont come with RS232 anymore...
          > I understand why they did it for their actual radios, but why they have
          > took it out of the LPT (that only affects the 1k) is something that
          > beats me.
          >
          > Luis Cupido
          > ct1dmk.
          >

          > On 10/13/2011 5:56 PM, sv1eia wrote:
          > > Hi Joe,
          > >
          > > LPT is slowly phased out, actually its difficult to find motherboards nowadays that still have it not to mention that there are no laptops with it for a long time now.
          > >
          > > Instead I'm moving towards the USB2SDR DB15 GPIO and possibly at some point it will be used for SDR1K too as I indicated in a previous post and a connection schematic posted.
          > >
          > > To answer your question, direct LPT support is a very low priority here nowadays, there are many other much more critical that need to be implemented.

          > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "wa9cgz"<joeprice@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Christos,
          > >> I'm a long time user of version 1.12.20 which is used with a home brew
          > >> SDR similar to the Flex1k but much modified. In order to have all band coverage 160-6 I use all 6 filter leads on the LPT1 port in a binary
          > >> format because the low pass and high pass overlap.
          > >> My questions are about Version 1.19.3.15 (preview version.)Are their
          > >> any plans to still support the LPT1 port in the next version? Also does the new version have any improvements on the NB and EIA functions over version 1.20 other than skins?
          > >>
          > >> Thanks Joe Wa9cgz

        • Luis Cupido
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 14, 2011
            Christos,

            Thanks for the reply.
            Starting your end comment:

            > I understand that these were not what you wanted to
            > read,

            No not at all, by no means. I was really just asking
            what was sort of evolution would be on your mind ;-)

            All ok for obsolescence issues about LPT USB etc.
            And obviously I understand the priority for the USB2SDR.

            Fine on the CW, understood.

            > yet we have to move forward.

            Sure.

            Thanks.

            Luis Cupido.
            ct1dmk.

            P.S.
            My philosophical comment, pre-weekend ;-) ,
            is that computers(and OS's) are evolving to user
            friendly multimedia communication devices. Soon they
            will no longer resemble a computer, at least the computer
            we would like for experimenting(if not already).
            As for radio ham DIY SDR's we may not be getting any better as time goes
            by, on the contrary, all seems to become less and less easy
            to make. A philosophical question would be: should we have
            to strictly follow all of that evolution (specially OS's)
            since we are just trying to play with DIY hobby radios.

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 14, 2011
              The latest thoughts on my mind lead again to this old question.
              Is there any other SDR software that has both TX and RX or are we still
              with the PowerSDR as the only thing that exist ?

              My searches shown RX only ventures.

              ( Nothing wrong with the powerSDR-IQ :-),
              I'm just wondering. )

              Luis Cupido.
              ct1dmk.
            • Jose Bonanca

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 14, 2011
                  Luis,

                  Yes, there are.

                  Though PowerSDR is the only professionally accepted and used in commercial SDR TRx radios so far.

                  --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Luis Cupido <cupido@...> wrote:

                  > The latest thoughts on my mind lead again to this old question.
                  > Is there any other SDR software that has both TX and RX or are we still
                  > with the PowerSDR as the only thing that exist ?
                  >
                  > My searches shown RX only ventures.
                  >
                  > ( Nothing wrong with the powerSDR-IQ :-),
                  > I'm just wondering. )
                  >
                  > Luis Cupido.
                  > ct1dmk.

                • g8voip
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 14, 2011
                    Hi,

                    You are joking of course!!!

                    HDSDR is a very long way from being a useful program for transmitting. It will probably progress eventually, but at the moment apart from sort of generating TX I/Q signals, not really of any other use.

                    73, Bob G8VOI

                    --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Jose Bonanca <jabct1aos@...> wrote:

                    > try www.hdsdr.de
                    >
                    > On 14 October 2011 12:03, Luis Cupido <cupido@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > The latest thoughts on my mind lead again to this old question.
                    > > Is there any other SDR software that has both TX and RX or are we still
                    > > with the PowerSDR as the only thing that exist ?
                    > >
                    > > My searches shown RX only ventures.
                    > >
                    > > ( Nothing wrong with the powerSDR-IQ :-),
                    > > I'm just wondering. )
                    > >
                    > > Luis Cupido.
                    > > ct1dmk.
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Jose (Ct1aos)

                  • Luis Cupido
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 14, 2011
                      Tks, José.

                      Fine, quite recent tks for info.
                      Last time I was there it was not yet implemented.

                      Still along way to go. requires another separated
                      sound card and is just very basic stuff.
                      Not at all as in powerSDR.

                      lc.
                      ct1dmk.

                      On 10/14/2011 12:43 PM, Jose Bonanca wrote:

                      > try www.hdsdr.de <http://www.hdsdr.de>
                      >
                      > On 14 October 2011 12:03, Luis Cupido <cupido@...
                      > <mailto:cupido@...>> wrote:
                      >
                      > __
                      >
                      > The latest thoughts on my mind lead again to this old question.
                      > Is there any other SDR software that has both TX and RX or are we still
                      > with the PowerSDR as the only thing that exist ?
                      >
                      > My searches shown RX only ventures.
                      >
                      > ( Nothing wrong with the powerSDR-IQ :-),
                      > I'm just wondering. )
                      >
                      > Luis Cupido.
                      > ct1dmk.
                      >

                      > --
                      > Jose (Ct1aos)

                    • Jose Bonanca
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 14, 2011
                        Luis

                        I never tried  in fact I watched someone telling that the program is OK. not for me, of course, but that's the info I got.
                        Nevertheless, the use of two sound cards is mandatory ; unless you use a D44 which in any case is like using two cards.
                        I use a D44 and well satisfied with it performances.
                        I am not crazy about DX anyway.

                        Regards.

                        On 14 October 2011 15:50, Luis Cupido <cupido@...> wrote:
                        Tks, José.

                        Fine, quite recent tks for info.
                        Last time I was there it was not yet implemented.

                        Still along way to go. requires another separated
                        sound card and is just very basic stuff.
                        Not at all as in powerSDR.

                        lc.
                        ct1dmk.

                        On 10/14/2011 12:43 PM, Jose Bonanca wrote:

                        > try www.hdsdr.de <http://www.hdsdr.de>
                        >
                        > On 14 October 2011 12:03, Luis Cupido <cupido@...
                        > <mailto:cupido@...>> wrote:
                        >
                        >     __
                        >
                        >     The latest thoughts on my mind lead again to this old question.
                        >     Is there any other SDR software that has both TX and RX or are we still
                        >     with the PowerSDR as the only thing that exist ?
                        >
                        >     My searches shown RX only ventures.
                        >
                        >     ( Nothing wrong with the powerSDR-IQ :-),
                        >     I'm just wondering. )
                        >
                        >     Luis Cupido.
                        >     ct1dmk.
                        >

                        > --