USB2SDR SDR1000 Interface

  • EB4APL
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2011
      Hi,

      I just seen this schematic in the files section, but I didn't find any
      reference in the messages.
      I'm really interested on it, as I have an SDR1000 and it appears as the
      interface is intended to control the radio via USB instead of the
      parallel port. My questions are:
      - Am I right, it is meant to control the SDR1000 through USB?
      - It is available or it is a project?
      - It is supported by any PowerSDR-IQ version?

      Christos, thank you for your splendid work.
      73 de Ignacio, EB4APL
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2011
        Hi Ignacio,

        This is an initiative aiming to have the USB2SDR working together with the SDR-1000.
        USB2SDR has a quite versatile GPIO on the DB15 connector so the external part as you see is minimal.
        The interface is quite simple yet a galvanic isolation interface is also on the drawing board.

        It is just a project at its start, but as you understand, after the simple hardware interface, everything else is firmware and software.
        The approach is to have one USB interface and USB2SDR to control the SDR-1000 and feed it with the required audio streams.

        SDR-1000 having LPT for its control and also by require external ADC and DAC is having difficulties in the modern desktop systems, not to mention the laptops that for quite some time now they do not have LPT ports.
        That gap could be filled and both, rig control and ADC/DAC, can be given from USB2SDR in a forthcoming PowerSDR-IQ version.

        Hopefully in a couple of months I could have something more there regarding the firmware and the application.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, EB4APL <eb4apl@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just seen this schematic in the files section, but I didn't find any
        > reference in the messages.
        > I'm really interested on it, as I have an SDR1000 and it appears as the
        > interface is intended to control the radio via USB instead of the
        > parallel port. My questions are:
        > - Am I right, it is meant to control the SDR1000 through USB?
        > - It is available or it is a project?
        > - It is supported by any PowerSDR-IQ version?
        >
        > Christos, thank you for your splendid work.
        > 73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

      • eb4apl
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2011
          Hi Christos,

          Thank you for your response. I'll keep an eye on the anouncements about this project.

          73 de Ignacio EB4APL

          > Hi Ignacio,
          >
          > This is an initiative aiming to have the USB2SDR working together with the SDR-1000.
          > USB2SDR has a quite versatile GPIO on the DB15 connector so the external part as you see is minimal.
          > The interface is quite simple yet a galvanic isolation interface is also on the drawing board.
          >
          > It is just a project at its start, but as you understand, after the simple hardware interface, everything else is firmware and software.
          > The approach is to have one USB interface and USB2SDR to control the SDR-1000 and feed it with the required audio streams.
          >
          > SDR-1000 having LPT for its control and also by require external ADC and DAC is having difficulties in the modern desktop systems, not to mention the laptops that for quite some time now they do not have LPT ports.
          > That gap could be filled and both, rig control and ADC/DAC, can be given from USB2SDR in a forthcoming PowerSDR-IQ version.
          >
          > Hopefully in a couple of months I could have something more there regarding the firmware and the application.

          > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, EB4APL <eb4apl@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I just seen this schematic in the files section, but I didn't find any
          > > reference in the messages.
          > > I'm really interested on it, as I have an SDR1000 and it appears as the
          > > interface is intended to control the radio via USB instead of the
          > > parallel port. My questions are:
          > > - Am I right, it is meant to control the SDR1000 through USB?
          > > - It is available or it is a project?
          > > - It is supported by any PowerSDR-IQ version?
          > >
          > > Christos, thank you for your splendid work.
          > > 73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

        • Tim W4YN
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2011
            Although I bought USB2SDR for other projects I would be interested in revitalizing my SDR1000 also.
            Tim W4YN

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
              There has been some interest for this from quite a few, so it might take a bit of precedence here.
              Initially, I'm about to complete a very-first-beta-version for Rx.
              As it is right now that can be quite easy provided there is in place that little interface.
              We'll test it locally and see how it goes.