Flex Radio

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2011
      Are Flex radio going broke?
      or is it all too much for them!
      Flex Radio PSDR has been static for a
      long time. PSDR IQ has evolved faster??

      Regards Eric VK5ZAG
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2011
        Hi Eric,
        IMHO:
        One thing is for sure, they go through a transition, its their time to go bigger and things from the outside might look standing still.
        Remember, its a company and nowadays with the current global situation, companies tend to move cautiously and slowly.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "ericwd9" <ericwd9@...> wrote:

        > Are Flex radio going broke?
        > or is it all too much for them!
        > Flex Radio PSDR has been static for a
        > long time. PSDR IQ has evolved faster??
        >
        > Regards Eric VK5ZAG

      • wb4jfi
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2011
          I don't think they are going away anytime soon.

          PSDR has not been static, if you have a Flex radio. There are still occassional "Beta" releases of their newer version 2.x software. They were beat up pretty badly a while back about problems in all the svn releases, so they are doing tests with limited hams on software until they come up with good interim solution releases.

          Thay also have a major rewrite coming out someday.... software ALWAYS takes much longer than you estimate to get done, even if your estimate is for it to take forever!

          The big issue I have is that with the "skins" version beginning with 2.x (I think), there is some copyrighted or otherwise protected material in the PSDR source package, so they will only release the source in a limited fashion. I think you can ask them, and they will provide a link to the current source tree, but maybe not including all the stuff. This appears to force separation between current PSDR 2.x and the older code, that many, many hams help them with writing, testing, and debugging.

          Recently, I was in the market for a new radio to replace my IC-720, and had a tough time (I also have an SDR1000). I ended up buying a K3. Between Firewire issues, and all the computer and driver problems, I decided that my main rig needed to be more reliable. This from a guy that designs and builds SDRs on a regular basis. I wanted something that I could push a button and have it work. Of course, I still enjoy my various SoftRocks, openHPSDR, SDR-IQ, Charleston Receiver, SDR-1000 (rx only!), etc.

          I will wait until Flex has a rig with Ethernet interfacing, and for them to have the new software more reliable, before buying another of their radios. IMHO, anything else is just asking to spend more time fiddling with the computer than enjoying on-air time. Ok for tinkering around, but not OK for on-air enjoyment.
          Terry, WB4JFI