HSUSB Problem -- Help!

  • javier_fernandez09142
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008
      After a couple of days of troubleshooting, I am finally come to the
      group for help.

      My HSUSB was working fine in my four RxTxv6.2 SDR until a couple of
      days ago, when I decided to change the RF output relay assembly.

      Once, finished, the radio performed as before, but it would not go
      into XMIT mode, with PowerSDR TUN or external application PTT.
      PowerSDR displayed the normal screen during PTT and TUN.

      Voltage checks of H3 Pin 3 showed a constant low condition, regardless
      of PowerSDR PTT state.

      Just to be safe, I uninstalled the HSUSB driver, downloaded and
      installed a fresh copy from the PowerSDR-IQ Google code, with no
      change in symptoms.

      By this point, I removed the HSUSB board from the system, and set it
      up for stand alone testing, with an external 5V source.

      I also downloaded and installed a fresh copy of FX2 Commander from
      David's site. Running the application, I found I could set and reset
      all the bits on PA and PB ports successfully. On Port PD, which is
      the one associated with the H3 Header, I could set and reset only
      ports PD0 through PD4. Ports PD5 through PD7 would not change state
      as measured with a voltmeter. Of course, PD6 is the one I am
      interested in, since it is the RX(low) TX High line, from PowerSDR-IQ.

      At this point, it seems to me that either a hardware problem in the
      CY768013A chip, corrupted firmware, or the FX2 Commander does not work
      on the last three lines of port PD with Christos' SV1EIA HSUSB Device.

      Any ideas?

      73 de Javier
    • Christos Nikolaou
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008
        Javier,

        It seems that you've send somehow +12v on these pins... sorry to say
        that but it has happened to me twice so far.
        Just like you, on a re-arrangement of things a 12v cable dropped and
        touched some pins of the Cy7C68013A, the rest is written in my order
        to Dave for CY replacement chips !!
        The Cypress chip is a LV so the absolute maximum ratings for its pins
        is quite low.

        The exact same tests as you did, I was also performing, to check what
        pins got affected. The result is that if 12v touches one pin, its left
        and right although not connected are also blown.

        The good thing is that in your case these replacements can be in a
        couple of days at your home, whereas here it needs around three weeks...

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "javier_fernandez09142"
        <javier_fernandez09142@...> wrote:

        > After a couple of days of troubleshooting, I am finally come to the
        > group for help.
        >
        > My HSUSB was working fine in my four RxTxv6.2 SDR until a couple of
        > days ago, when I decided to change the RF output relay assembly.
        >
        > Once, finished, the radio performed as before, but it would not go
        > into XMIT mode, with PowerSDR TUN or external application PTT.
        > PowerSDR displayed the normal screen during PTT and TUN.
        >
        > Voltage checks of H3 Pin 3 showed a constant low condition, regardless
        > of PowerSDR PTT state.
        >
        > Just to be safe, I uninstalled the HSUSB driver, downloaded and
        > installed a fresh copy from the PowerSDR-IQ Google code, with no
        > change in symptoms.
        >
        > By this point, I removed the HSUSB board from the system, and set it
        > up for stand alone testing, with an external 5V source.
        >
        > I also downloaded and installed a fresh copy of FX2 Commander from
        > David's site. Running the application, I found I could set and reset
        > all the bits on PA and PB ports successfully. On Port PD, which is
        > the one associated with the H3 Header, I could set and reset only
        > ports PD0 through PD4. Ports PD5 through PD7 would not change state
        > as measured with a voltmeter. Of course, PD6 is the one I am
        > interested in, since it is the RX(low) TX High line, from PowerSDR-IQ.
        >
        > At this point, it seems to me that either a hardware problem in the
        > CY768013A chip, corrupted firmware, or the FX2 Commander does not work
        > on the last three lines of port PD with Christos' SV1EIA HSUSB Device.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > 73 de Javier

      • Javier Fernandez
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
          Christos:

           I was hoping that someone would point out something obvious that I had missed and be embarrassed for a few seconds before I went on to fix the problem.

          Oh well, such is life.  I will rig a manual PTT control line for now and order replacement chips.

          Thanks for the help!

          73 de Javier,
          KC2QII

          It seems that you've send somehow +12v on these pins... sorry to say
          that but it has happened to me twice so far.
          Just like you, on a re-arrangement of things a 12v cable dropped and
          touched some pins of the Cy7C68013A, the rest is written in my order
          to Dave for CY replacement chips !!
          The Cypress chip is a LV so the absolute maximum ratings for its pins
          is quite low.

          The exact same tests as you did, I was also performing, to check what
          pins got affected. The result is that if 12v touches one pin, its left
          and right although not connected are also blown.

          The good thing is that in your case these replacements can be in a
          couple of days at your home, whereas here it needs around three weeks...

          --- In powersdr-iq@ yahoogroups. com, "javier_fernandez09 142"
          <javier_fernandez09 142@...> wrote:

          > After a couple of days of troubleshooting, I am finally come to the
          > group for help.
          >
          > My HSUSB was working fine in my four RxTxv6.2 SDR until a couple of
          > days ago, when I decided to change the RF output relay assembly.
          >
          > Once, finished, the radio performed as before, but it would not go
          > into XMIT mode, with PowerSDR TUN or external application PTT.
          > PowerSDR displayed the normal screen during PTT and TUN.
          >
          > Voltage checks of H3 Pin 3 showed a constant low condition, regardless
          > of PowerSDR PTT state.
          >
          > Just to be safe, I uninstalled the HSUSB driver, downloaded and
          > installed a fresh copy from the PowerSDR-IQ Google code, with no
          > change in symptoms.
          >
          > By this point, I removed the HSUSB board from the system, and set it
          > up for stand alone testing, with an external 5V source.
          >
          > I also downloaded and installed a fresh copy of FX2 Commander from
          > David's site. Running the application, I found I could set and reset
          > all the bits on PA and PB ports successfully. On Port PD, which is
          > the one associated with the H3 Header, I could set and reset only
          > ports PD0 through PD4. Ports PD5 through PD7 would not change state
          > as measured with a voltmeter. Of course, PD6 is the one I am
          > interested in, since it is the RX(low) TX High line, from PowerSDR-IQ.
          >
          > At this point, it seems to me that either a hardware problem in the
          > CY768013A chip, corrupted firmware, or the FX2 Commander does not work
          > on the last three lines of port PD with Christos' SV1EIA HSUSB Device.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > 73 de Javier

        • Christos Nikolaou
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
            Javier,

            Imagine that I had two of Dave's boards because I wanted one for my
            multiband rig and the other for the N2PK VNA.
            I managed to damage both of them on different occasions.

            The first was like you on the PTT send command and the second was on
            the I2C pins whereas also my LVDS Si570 got damaged.
            Juat for info, the Si570 is still starting and oscillating in its
            default frequency, but it cannot be programmed any more, probably only
            its own intrnal I2C interface has been blown and not the rest of the IC.

            The CY7C68013A chips themselves seem intact in terms of programing and
            utilization of other pins. Only the specific damaged pins are the problem.

            As they say though, there is always some good inside a mishap like this.
            The good at least for me, was that I utilized my 995xs as VFOs and
            proved excellent !! It could also go really down to my LF activity on
            137KHz without the problems of low frequency in Si570. And the spurii
            was also very good. Then I also remembered that the 995x has an
            internal log detector that can be utilized for forward or reverse
            power measurments. So the PowerSDR-IQ will display real
            forward/reverse power readings on its meter soon.

            So a drop of cable and a mishap, brought a new and enjoyable path !! :-)