HSUSB driver install problem

  • hamshack4
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
      I have WB6DHW's HSUSB board and am pretty certain it's been built correctly. I have downloaded and unzipped the PowerSDR-IQ_HSUSB_Driver file. But when I plug in the board and run through the Found New Hardware wizard and then navigate to the folder containing the driver file, I get a Cannot Install the Hardware error message. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

      Thank you.
      hamshack4
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
        Hi,

        This driver is for WinXP.
        You do not mention any details in your post regarding your setup environment.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "hamshack4" <hamshack4@...> wrote:

        > I have WB6DHW's HSUSB board and am pretty certain it's been built correctly. I have downloaded and unzipped the PowerSDR-IQ_HSUSB_Driver file. But when I plug in the board and run through the Found New Hardware wizard and then navigate to the folder containing the driver file, I get a Cannot Install the Hardware error message. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
        >
        > Thank you.
        > hamshack4

      • hamshack4
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
          I am running WinXP Pro w/Service Pack 3. Am attempting to use the HSUSB board in conjuction with PSDR-IQ v.1.12.20. The power LED on the HSUSB board is lit when plugged in and the 24mHz clock is running. Have contacted WB6DHW about this and he says that since Windows is asking for the driver, it means the Cypress processor is running.

          Please tell me if further info is required.

          Thanks for your response.

          hamshack4
        • hamshack4
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
            Here is a quote from WB6DHW:
            "Besides the driver file which matches the device ID, the Cypress chip contains its program in RAM rather the ROM, so requires a program load on initialtion. The driver file must either contain this file or point to it."

            I don't any program load file in the PSDR-IQ_HSUSB_driver download. Could that be the problem?

            hamshack4
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
              The zip file in googlecode should be downloaded and extracted on a folder.
              There it should contain these three files
              HSUSB.inf
              CyUSB.sys
              CyUsb.spt (this is the program file and it is automatically loaded)

              You have to plug the USB and when you are prompted, you need to specify the folder that contains these files to the device setup wizard.
              During this process it might ask twice for the driver. Both times point to the same folder that contains these files where you extracted them.

              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "hamshack4" <hamshack4@...> wrote:

              > Here is a quote from WB6DHW:
              > "Besides the driver file which matches the device ID, the Cypress chip contains its program in RAM rather the ROM, so requires a program load on initialtion. The driver file must either contain this file or point to it."
              >
              > I don't any program load file in the PSDR-IQ_HSUSB_driver download. Could that be the problem?
              >
              > hamshack4

            • hamshack4
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
                Those are exactly the files I have extracted and the procedure is exactly the one I'm following. It doesn't work.

                Oh well, thanks for trying to help me, but am giving up...

                hamshack4
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                  If you can provide some more details and screenshots of the messages you have, it might be better, its not easy for us to understand what is your setup issue.
                  FYI this is the exact setup that I also have here and as been reported so far by those who install it, it works ok.

                  If the device is inserted and not got installed properly, then it is always marked as unknown device and the wizard does not start when you re-plug it in. You need to go to the device manager and click the 'Update driver'.

                  --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "hamshack4" <hamshack4@...> wrote:

                  > Those are exactly the files I have extracted and the procedure is exactly the one I'm following. It doesn't work.
                  >
                  > Oh well, thanks for trying to help me, but am giving up...
                  >
                  > hamshack4

                • hamshack4
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                    Hi Christos -
                    I have posted screenshots and a short written description in the Files section. It's called HSUSB driver install.

                    Thank you very much for your continuing interest and support.

                    Sincerely,
                    hamshack4
                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                      From: "hamshack4"
                      Subject: [powersdr-iq] Re: HSUSB driver install problem

                      > I have posted screenshots and a short written description in the Files
                      > section. It's called HSUSB driver install.

                      Have you done the "Don't search" bit?
                      Tick that box and show it exactly what you want.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                        Ok,

                        I've seen it.

                        Try at first not to do a 'Reinstall Driver' via the shown button, try to do a 'Update Driver' from the 'Driver' tab.

                        One more bit of info is required.
                        Its called the VID/PID, the identity of the hardware.

                        You can find it in the same screen as USB Device Properties and clicking on the details tab, there if it is not shown immediately select the 'Device Instance Id', it will show you a line with something having VID and PID identifiers.
                        Please screenshot this too.
                        It will show us one possible issue.

                        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "hamshack4" <hamshack4@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Christos -
                        > I have posted screenshots and a short written description in the Files section. It's called HSUSB driver install.
                        >
                        > Thank you very much for your continuing interest and support.
                        >
                        > Sincerely,
                        > hamshack4

                      • hamshack4
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                          I have added one more screen shot to the HSUSB driver install folder showing the device ID when I click on it within the Device Manager.

                          I wonder if the problem is that the device ID's don't match..?

                          hamshack4
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                            Yep,

                            You got it !!

                            If you do have the same chip (FX2LP), then Cypress has changed the VID/PID yet that is quite unlikely IMHO..

                            Did you load any firmware yourself there via CyConsole?

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                              The little I2C EEPROM chip probably has some prior firmware in it and has to be erased so the FX2LP chip will boot with its own native VID/PID.

                              > Yep,
                              >
                              > You got it !!
                              >
                              > If you do have the same chip (FX2LP), then Cypress has changed the VID/PID yet that is quite unlikely IMHO..
                              >
                              > Did you load any firmware yourself there via CyConsole?
                              >

                              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "hamshack4" <hamshack4@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I have added one more screen shot to the HSUSB driver install folder showing the device ID when I click on it within the Device Manager.
                              > >
                              > > I wonder if the problem is that the device ID's don't match..?
                              > >
                              > > hamshack4

                            • hamshack4
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                When I first built the HSUSB board I attempted to test it using the test files on WB6DHW's website. But I wasn't successful partly because Cypress has dropped Cypress USB uStudio and replaced it with something else that I didn't understand. So apparently the Device ID somehow got modified at that time. I don't know how to clear what's in there and get back to the native ID code. So I guess I'm stuck....

                                hamshack4
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                  Well,
                                  The EEPROM is not used anyway here, so you can un-solder it.
                                  Or just lift its Vcc pin gently with the hot iron so it will not have power upon boot.

                                  Another plain s/w solution is to delete its contents via an application from Cypress uStudio, I think it is still there under another name.

                                  --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "hamshack4" <hamshack4@...> wrote:

                                  > When I first built the HSUSB board I attempted to test it using the test files on WB6DHW's website. But I wasn't successful partly because Cypress has dropped Cypress USB uStudio and replaced it with something else that I didn't understand. So apparently the Device ID somehow got modified at that time. I don't know how to clear what's in there and get back to the native ID code. So I guess I'm stuck....
                                  >
                                  > hamshack4

                                • hamshack4
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                    I unsoldered the EEPROM. That fixed the problem.

                                    Christos - thank you very much for your patience and kind support.

                                    73,
                                    hamshack4
                                  • hamshack4
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                      Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. When I try to start up PSDR-IQ v.1.12.20, I get the Fatal Error screen shown posted now in my Files folder. It appears to me that something is trying to be written into the EEPROM (and perhaps read back for verification). But since the EEPROM isn't there anymore.....

                                      I don't actually have the HSUSB board connected to anything yet (aside from the USB port, of course), but that shouldn't be the cause, should it?
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                        Find and delete the PowerSDR.mdb file, it has to be somewhere in Program Files. It might has some invalid data from previous PSDR installations.

                                        Also make sure this is checked
                                        Setup->General->USB->HSUSB Adapter

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                          Did both those things. No help.

                                          You've spent enough time on this and am sure you're losing patience. Let's drop it.

                                          Thanks again..

                                          hamshack4
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                            The EEPROM is not used whatsoever as far as I remember.

                                            Do a reboot of your system, sometimes when drivers get in and out Windows do not behave as they should, not saying that it will solve the problem but give it a try.

                                            Also remove all other instances or versions of PSDR and the Powersdr.mdb files wherever they exist. If you happen to have multiple installations it could give such problems.

                                            Try to have a 'clean' PowerSDR-IQ setup. No other .dlls are needed so do not use anything else.

                                            I know it works and it works ok, so far the 1.12.20 is the most robust version yet. And using it with HSUSB as my main rig for more than two years trouble free.