Softrock Tx

  • rodbrink15
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2010
      I have a Softrock RXTX+Xtall v6.3 that I'm trying to make work with PSDR_IQ v.1.12.23. But when I go to Setup/General/Hardware Config. and select SDR Rx Fix.Freq. the Receive Only box is checked and greyed out (disabled). The MOX button is also disabled and I'm unable to transmit. Is there a way to get both Rx and Tx functionality with PSDR-IQ?

      Rod, KQ6F
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2010
        Hi Rod,

        What to you mean by the 'SoftRock v6.3RXTX + XTALL', do you mean just the original single PCB with DIL switch frequency selection, or do you have the additional USB to I2C adapter as well?

        If you are using the original 'DIL; switch version, then you would not be able to transmit using that version of PSDR as it requires the ability to control the Si570 frequency from the PC.

        If you have the USB to I2C interface controlling the Si570, then you must not select the hardware as 'SDR Rx Fix.Freq'. The correct setting for the Radio Model has to be 'SDR (Si570'.

        In addition on the set up 'USB' tab you need to select the 'USBtoI2C Adapter' in the 'AVR' section.

        Make sure you have the USB lead connected and power applied to your v6.3 RXTX before starting PSDR otherwise if it does not detect the USB hardware it will automatically disable and remove the check from the 'USBtoI2C Adapter' box.

        The other area you will need to configure correctly is the sound card, much depends on what you are using.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2010
          Hi Rod,

          Bob is right (trust him, he is indeed one of the distinguished setup gurus around), I also think that your settings need to be verified.
          Have a look at this guide to setup PowerSDR-IQ 1.19.3.15
          -> http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/psdriq.htm
          and this past post
          -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/message/43204
          I trust you will get the idea.

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rod,
          >
          > What to you mean by the 'SoftRock v6.3RXTX + XTALL', do you mean just the original single PCB with DIL switch frequency selection, or do you have the additional USB to I2C adapter as well?
          >
          > If you are using the original 'DIL; switch version, then you would not be able to transmit using that version of PSDR as it requires the ability to control the Si570 frequency from the PC.
          >
          > If you have the USB to I2C interface controlling the Si570, then you must not select the hardware as 'SDR Rx Fix.Freq'. The correct setting for the Radio Model has to be 'SDR (Si570'.
          >
          > In addition on the set up 'USB' tab you need to select the 'USBtoI2C Adapter' in the 'AVR' section.
          >
          > Make sure you have the USB lead connected and power applied to your v6.3 RXTX before starting PSDR otherwise if it does not detect the USB hardware it will automatically disable and remove the check from the 'USBtoI2C Adapter' box.
          >
          > The other area you will need to configure correctly is the sound card, much depends on what you are using.
          >
          > 73, Bob G8VOI
          >

          > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "rodbrink15" <kq6f@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a Softrock RXTX+Xtall v6.3 that I'm trying to make work with PSDR_IQ v.1.12.23. But when I go to Setup/General/Hardware Config. and select SDR Rx Fix.Freq. the Receive Only box is checked and greyed out (disabled). The MOX button is also disabled and I'm unable to transmit. Is there a way to get both Rx and Tx functionality with PSDR-IQ?
          > >
          > > Rod, KQ6F

        • rodbrink15
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19, 2010
            Thanks to Bob and to Christos for their responses. My Xtall v6.3 has the frequency-setting dipswitch so apparently I cannot use PSDR-IQ for transmitting. Perhaps I will remove the dipswitch and the PIC and either use USB-to-I2C adaptor or devise a LPT interface. Thanks for your help..

            Rod, KQ6F
          • Alan
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 19, 2010
              From: "rodbrink15"
              Subject: [powersdr-iq] Re: Softrock Tx

              > or devise a LPT interface.

              A good way, just a simple interface
              <http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570.htm> section 7 gives links.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • g8voip
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 19, 2010
                Hi Rod,

                It was the reference to the 'xtall' that caused the confusion, I always think of that as being the full USB / Si570 control.

                There are certainly major advantages of going to the full frequency control rather that the simple 16 fixed selections from the PIC.

                For a start, obviously allows you continuous coverage of the complete band(s) you have the PA / filter modules and RX filters for.

                The second, far more subtle advantage is that there are inherent weaknesses in transmitting using a fixed LO centre frequency. It places much more reliance on the performance and quality of your sound card over the complete input frequency spectrum from near DC to say 48kHz in the case of using 96kHz sampling. There will be gain and phase variations over that span of frequencies which on transmit will affect the TX image rejection. Rocky for example only performs the TX image rejectino at two points, so throughout the rest of the scan can deteriorate considerably. That is not to say that Rocky does not perform adequately, but particularly if you want to add any additional PA stages after the SDR transceiver it has to be remembered that the TX images will vary in how far you are operating away from the centre frequency, and of course could fall within the amateur band, but just as easily outside!

                The big advantage to be gained using the full USB control of the Si570 is that on receive, Christos versions use a 'pseudo' IF and offset the centre frequncy by 9kHz in order to shift the tuning / listening point away from any centre frequency spike / noise or hum. On transmit, as the LO is set for the transmit frequency, the TX image rejection is in effect only the normal transmitted audio spectrum, so appears as the opposite sideband. The software image rejection can be used to reduce this to better than 60dB depending on your sound card, and of course is constant despite what frequency you are transmitting on.

                Hope that makes some sense.

                Thanks for the kind comments Christos, appreciated. Everything learned through lots of playing, messing up and eventually figuring out how things work :) My pleasure to try and help guys like you out with answering any of the questions I can.

                73, Bob G8VOI

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "rodbrink15" <kq6f@...> wrote:

                > Thanks to Bob and to Christos for their responses. My Xtall v6.3 has the frequency-setting dipswitch so apparently I cannot use PSDR-IQ for transmitting. Perhaps I will remove the dipswitch and the PIC and either use USB-to-I2C adaptor or devise a LPT interface. Thanks for your help..
                >
                > Rod, KQ6F

              • rodbrink15
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 19, 2010
                  Using the LPT interface and two FETs for inverting the signals looks like the easiest way to go for frequency controlling the Si570. But PSDR-IQ v.1.12.23 outputs non-inverted LPT signals. Is there a simple command for inverting the LPT signals? What does checking the Janus/Ozy box do?

                  Rod, KQ6F
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 19, 2010
                    Rod,

                    I've used the LPT interface for quite some time in the past.

                    If I remember correctly, the inverted SCL/SDA is still there as the doc says. (Unless of course my memory plays tricks with me :-) and I've changed it somewhere down the versions..)

                    Have a look at the "LPT connections.pdf" doc in googlecode downloads
                    -> http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list
                    and give a try to LPT lines 14,17

                    You need to be aware though that the LPT sigs need of course proper level converting as you currently do with the FETs.

                    --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "rodbrink15" <kq6f@...> wrote:

                    > Using the LPT interface and two FETs for inverting the signals looks like the easiest way to go for frequency controlling the Si570. But PSDR-IQ v.1.12.23 outputs non-inverted LPT signals. Is there a simple command for inverting the LPT signals? What does checking the Janus/Ozy box do?
                    >
                    > Rod, KQ6F

                  • rodbrink15
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 19, 2010
                      Christos - yes, the inverted LPT signals appear on pins 14,17. Thank you for your help...

                      Rod, KQ6F
                    • nouzis
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2011
                        Hi Rod, has your question been answerd yet?
                        I'm havin some trouble with the lpt control.
                        My setup is the same as yours, i made the two fet inverting interface,
                        but it doesnt work.

                        Any help.... somebody?

                        Chris, SV1JDN

                        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "rodbrink15" <kq6f@...> wrote:

                        > Using the LPT interface and two FETs for inverting the signals looks like the easiest way to go for frequency controlling the Si570. But PSDR-IQ v.1.12.23 outputs non-inverted LPT signals. Is there a simple command for inverting the LPT signals? What does checking the Janus/Ozy box do?
                        >
                        > Rod, KQ6F

                      • rodbrink15
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2011
                          Hi Chris -
                          Yes, Christos answered my question. See Message #1631.

                          Rod, KQ6F