2 Meters

  • wa9cgz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2010
      The www.w1ghz.org site has a project call the Miniverter which is a simple transverter for use with the Flex 1500 to allow operation on 2 meters for the microwave bands. The Miniverter could also be modified for direct operation on 2 meters by additionalfiltering and amplifiers. The current version of software that I use (V1.12.20) has the 2 meter transverter function disabled would it be possible to have it enabled? As I understand it you can choose the HF frequency to be used for the transverter function by software but 10 meters is a good start as long as you could adjust the offsets due to the transverter xtal.

      On another subject I was able to add 6meters to my Flex clone by replacing the 74 dividers with 74G74's by Potato semiconductor since they easily clock at 200MHz. (divide by 4) For those interested they are 3.6 volt devices which I run on 3.3 volts.

      Thanks Joe wa9cgz
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2010
        Hi Joe,

        Its been a while.

        Regarding the 2m changes that you refer, I'm currently reviewing a newer release of 2.x (2.08) for a new homebrew edition PowerSDR-IQ (hopefully soon .. ) so I'll try to have this on the new one.

        73,
        Christos

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "wa9cgz" <joeprice@...> wrote:

        > The www.w1ghz.org site has a project call the Miniverter which is a simple transverter for use with the Flex 1500 to allow operation on 2 meters for the microwave bands. The Miniverter could also be modified for direct operation on 2 meters by additionalfiltering and amplifiers. The current version of software that I use (V1.12.20) has the 2 meter transverter function disabled would it be possible to have it enabled? As I understand it you can choose the HF frequency to be used for the transverter function by software but 10 meters is a good start as long as you could adjust the offsets due to the transverter xtal.
        >
        > On another subject I was able to add 6meters to my Flex clone by replacing the 74 dividers with 74G74's by Potato semiconductor since they easily clock at 200MHz. (divide by 4) For those interested they are 3.6 volt devices which I run on 3.3 volts.
        >
        > Thanks Joe wa9cgz

      • wa9cgz
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2010
          Christos and ALL,

          Recently I asked about opening up the V19X software frequency box marked 2 Meters to allow the use of a transverter for operation on 2 and other microwave bands.
          Further investigation has shown that a already existing function may allow this.By enabling the XVTR setup menu it appears that it can be optioned for 2 meters.
          I used the following.

          enable, band 0, button label=2mtrs, LO offset=transverter IF frequency(i used 29mhz),
          begin freq=144mhz, end freq=145 mhz, enable XVTR RF TX

          Look under the S meter for box marked VHF+ then select button that you labeled above 2mtrs.

          The SDR screen will show a start frequency of 144mhz but the actual output will be 29mhz (IF frequency).

          Now for the disclaimer:
          I don't have a transverter I used a frequency counter to check the frequencies.

          I noticed that the although transmit will be disable at 144mhz it's still possible
          to transmit out of band by using LSB at 144mhz.

          Currently there is no external control leads to enable relays to route the SDR to the transverter when the box marked VHF+2mtrs is checked although a manualcoax switched can be used.

          Since their are 4 LPT leads tied up for control of the SI570 and only 2 are used maybe 2 can be reused for other functions or perhaps the Com ports.

          Please take the above with a grain of salt I may have misunderstood or
          overlooked something.

          Joe wa9cgz