Re: [powersdr-iq] ATOM N330 and PowerSDR

  • Pat Villani
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 2010
      I have been using it with Windows XP and it seems to run well at 96 KHz, although there are other limitations.  For example, selecting ANF and one of the noise filters causes it to "stutter."  I also had to play with the buffer sizes to get satisfactory results.

      Pat
      WB2GBF

      On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:54 AM, iami78 <iami78@...> wrote:

      Hi fellows!

      I've been trying to find some info about the performance of Atom N330
      based motherboards for SDR use. I found many using them, but not much of comments about how they performed with different bandwidths and what kind of software they have run on the background (VAC, digital modes etc).

      Any of you guys running Atom N330? It looks really interesting and if some will confirm it will run on 96-kHz, I will definitely get one!

      73 de Janne OH1SDR

    • iami78
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 2010
        Thans for the reply Pat!

        Sounds promising. The stuttering of course isn't something we want. Have you checked the CPU usage on 96 kHz with and without ANF + other filters?

        I'm just wondering if the CPU power isn't enough or if there's something else.

        73 de Janne OH1SDR

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Pat Villani <modeler@...> wrote:

        > I have been using it with Windows XP and it seems to run well at 96 KHz,
        > although there are other limitations. For example, selecting ANF and one of
        > the noise filters causes it to "stutter." I also had to play with the
        > buffer sizes to get satisfactory results.
        >
        > Pat
        > WB2GBF
        >

        > On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:54 AM, iami78 <iami78@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Hi fellows!
        > >
        > > I've been trying to find some info about the performance of Atom N330
        > > based motherboards for SDR use. I found many using them, but not much of
        > > comments about how they performed with different bandwidths and what kind of
        > > software they have run on the background (VAC, digital modes etc).
        > >
        > > Any of you guys running Atom N330? It looks really interesting and if some
        > > will confirm it will run on 96-kHz, I will definitely get one!
        > >
        > > 73 de Janne OH1SDR

      • Pat Villani
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2010
          I don't think it's a CPU thing.  As you know, the 330 is a dual core, 64-bit processor.  Even though it's not as fast as some of Intel's other processors, it should be good enough I believe.  I think my biggest problem is that I have one of the Intel motherboards and the graphics chips are sub par, leading to the processor spending more time spent on the display than it should.

          If I get a chance either later today or tomorrow, I'll try running some tests to get a better idea of what's going on.

          Pat
          WB2GBF

          On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:48 AM, iami78 <iami78@...> wrote:

          Thans for the reply Pat!

          Sounds promising. The stuttering of course isn't something we want. Have you checked the CPU usage on 96 kHz with and without ANF + other filters?

          I'm just wondering if the CPU power isn't enough or if there's something else.

          73 de Janne OH1SDR

          --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Pat Villani <modeler@...> wrote:

          > I have been using it with Windows XP and it seems to run well at 96 KHz,
          > although there are other limitations. For example, selecting ANF and one of
          > the noise filters causes it to "stutter." I also had to play with the
          > buffer sizes to get satisfactory results.
          >
          > Pat
          > WB2GBF
          >

          > On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:54 AM, iami78 <iami78@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hi fellows!
          > >
          > > I've been trying to find some info about the performance of Atom N330
          > > based motherboards for SDR use. I found many using them, but not much of
          > > comments about how they performed with different bandwidths and what kind of
          > > software they have run on the background (VAC, digital modes etc).
          > >
          > > Any of you guys running Atom N330? It looks really interesting and if some
          > > will confirm it will run on 96-kHz, I will definitely get one!
          > >
          > > 73 de Janne OH1SDR

        • w4yn
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
            I run all the versions of Pwrsdr and Ghpsdr (Linux version) on a 330 and have same issues, all works FB until you get agressive with DSP settings.
            I am going to try one of the newer 540 Atoms and see if things improve, there is one board that takes just a single 12 volt supply, that is the one I am ordering, hope the on board voltage sources do not create hash!
            Tim W4YN

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Pat Villani <modeler@...> wrote:

            > I don't think it's a CPU thing. As you know, the 330 is a dual core, 64-bit
            > processor. Even though it's not as fast as some of Intel's other
            > processors, it should be good enough I believe. I think my biggest problem
            > is that I have one of the Intel motherboards and the graphics chips are sub
            > par, leading to the processor spending more time spent on the display than
            > it should.
            >
            > If I get a chance either later today or tomorrow, I'll try running some
            > tests to get a better idea of what's going on.
            >
            > Pat
            > WB2GBF
            >

            > On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:48 AM, iami78 <iami78@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Thans for the reply Pat!
            > >
            > > Sounds promising. The stuttering of course isn't something we want. Have
            > > you checked the CPU usage on 96 kHz with and without ANF + other filters?
            > >
            > > I'm just wondering if the CPU power isn't enough or if there's something
            > > else.
            > >
            > > 73 de Janne OH1SDR
            > >
            > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com <powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com>, Pat
            > > Villani <modeler@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have been using it with Windows XP and it seems to run well at 96 KHz,
            > > > although there are other limitations. For example, selecting ANF and one
            > > of
            > > > the noise filters causes it to "stutter." I also had to play with the
            > > > buffer sizes to get satisfactory results.
            > > >
            > > > Pat
            > > > WB2GBF

            > > of
            > > kind of

            > > some

          • iami78
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 21, 2010
              Hi Tim!

              Ok, so 330 might be on edge then. This PC will be built inside the transceiver, so I can just forget antivirus and equivalent extra softwares loading the CPU. Anyways, I have now thought of Atom D525 which spends couple of Watts more, but will have much more horse power to spare.

              12 V board would be awesome, but it seems that there aren't many of those, especially with D525. Also the D525 board looks quite expensive here in Finland, around 175 euros ($230), but I think if would be good investment.

              73 de Janne OH1SDR