Low power out on CW tx

  • flsaas
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 8:47 AM
      Hi, this has probably been asked before but a quick scan through the Messages didn't come up with any results..

      I have used my Softrock RXTX 6.3 with Rocky for the last year and a half on CW and have had no problems with it, I now want to play around with WSPR and possibly SSB and so I am trying to migrate over to PSDR 2.0 (1.19.3.15).

      I am using a 2 card solution, a PCI SoundBlaster Audigy for the Mic in and Speaker out; and a SoundBlaster USB Live for the IQ tx and rx.

      I believe I have everything set correctly in the audio section, one of my first QSO's was with a guy in Ecuador (from Ohio) on CW using the CWX program with 750MW.

      I am very pleased with the CWX built in keyboard interface but my one problem that I would like to resolve is - Trying to get more than approx 750 mw out of my SR 6.3.

      With Rocky, on 40m I can get approx 1.5 watts out but with PSDR the most I can manage is less than a watt - approx 750 mw. I use the USB SoundBlaster Live with Rocky for the IQ rxtx also.

      I have the slider for the output level on the front of the display set all the way to the right (100).

      Anyone have any suggestions?

      Thanks in advance, I guess I'll be running QRPP till I get this figured out!

      Fred
      WA8PGE
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31 9:50 AM
        From: "flsaas"
        Subject: [powersdr-iq] Low power out on CW tx

        > With Rocky, on 40m I can get approx 1.5 watts

        People are wondering why the BS170's don't last long! If you really want
        more maybe a small amp would be better?

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • flsaas
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31 12:57 PM
          thanks for the reply - I'm satisfied with the 1.5 watts that I can get if I run Rocky, I'd like to know why that drops in half, 750mw, when I run PSDR.. same sound card for RXTX IQ.

          Thanks
          Fred

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31 2:05 PM
            Hi Fred,

            At first congratulations for your success story, if you have decent qso's then that is a very good start.

            I got to agree though with Alan :-) squeeze too much the little finals and eventually they will give up !
            Not to mention that at these levels, although low for the normal rigs, 1.5W is for sure giving LOTS of IMDs in BS170..
            And to speak for real gain, with 1.5W if you give an S9 reading on a receiver, with .7W on the same receiver you will show up as S9 again unless it can show S8.5 :-)

            Anyway, I think that you need to specify the real voltage output of your I/Q audio card used.
            That setting is on
            Setup->Audio->Primary->Output Voltage
            I guess it is on the 'unsupported' to a value around 2.0, so you need to match this with what your audio card gives at full output.

            If you lower it from what it is now, it will give more output and if you make it higher then it will decrease.
            That is because as you understand it 'thinks' that what you put there is real and it tries to adjust its wave amplitude into this range.

            I hope this helps.

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "flsaas" <flsaas@...> wrote:

            > thanks for the reply - I'm satisfied with the 1.5 watts that I can get if I run Rocky, I'd like to know why that drops in half, 750mw, when I run PSDR.. same sound card for RXTX IQ.
            >

            > Thanks
            > Fred

          • flsaas
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31 4:39 PM
              Thanks for the explanation Cristos! I was trying to squeeze just a little more out of the TX for the amplifier that I am building for it. It wants to see 1-2 watts input (MiniBoots II CW-SSB, by NB6M) but as you say the additional IMD introduced might not be worth it. I can play around with the input attenuation resistors on the amp instead.

              Thanks again for the nice product!
              Fred
              WA8PGE

              > Hi Fred,
              >
              > At first congratulations for your success story, if you have decent qso's then that is a very good start.
              >
              > I got to agree though with Alan :-) squeeze too much the little finals and eventually they will give up !
              > Not to mention that at these levels, although low for the normal rigs, 1.5W is for sure giving LOTS of IMDs in BS170..
              > And to speak for real gain, with 1.5W if you give an S9 reading on a receiver, with .7W on the same receiver you will show up as S9 again unless it can show S8.5 :-)
              >
              > Anyway, I think that you need to specify the real voltage output of your I/Q audio card used.
              > That setting is on
              > Setup->Audio->Primary->Output Voltage
              > I guess it is on the 'unsupported' to a value around 2.0, so you need to match this with what your audio card gives at full output.
              >
              > If you lower it from what it is now, it will give more output and if you make it higher then it will decrease.
              > That is because as you understand it 'thinks' that what you put there is real and it tries to adjust its wave amplitude into this range.
              >
              > I hope this helps.

              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "flsaas" <flsaas@> wrote:
              > >
              > > thanks for the reply - I'm satisfied with the 1.5 watts that I can get if I run Rocky, I'd like to know why that drops in half, 750mw, when I run PSDR.. same sound card for RXTX IQ.
              > >

              > > Thanks
              > > Fred

            • Alan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 31 10:08 PM
                From: "flsaas"
                Subject: [powersdr-iq] Re: Low power out on CW tx

                > I was trying to squeeze just a little more out of the TX for the amplifier
                > that I am building for it. It wants to see 1-2 watts input (MiniBoots II
                > CW-SSB, by NB6M) but as you say the additional IMD introduced might not be
                > worth it.

                Many reckon that 500mW is about the maximum clean output you can get from a
                Softrock. They do vary but if you can't measure it aim for a little less
                into an amplifier.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ