I/Q reversal

  • kenklein2004
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2010
      I've just finished building Tony's Ensemble TX/RX, and have found that when using PSDR-IQ, the receiver works properly when the I and Q signals are NOT reversed, but wired directly across the jumpers. However, it is stated many places that the I and Q signals SHOULD be reversed for PSDR-IQ. A friend has also (independently) built the Ensemble and found the same effect. I might add that the cables I'm using work properly on my SDR-1000. I must be missing something. Can anyone enlighten me?

      Many thanks and 73,

      Ken WR5H
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2010
        Hi Ken,

        It could be perhaps the cables you are using are wired differently, but most certainly all of the SoftRock and Ensemble designs are designed to be used straight with Rocky, i.e. the original ring / tip identifications or for the Ensembles with the links made straight across.

        The proof would be in running your board with Rocky or Winrad without changing the cabling and you would probably find you would need to reverse the I/Q signals in both of those.

        PSDR requires the I/Q signals reversing, as the 'official' Flex versions do not have any software set up to reverse the I/Q, your have to do it in the SDR hardware or cabling.

        In order to make the SoftRock's compatible with all available SDR programs, the easiest option is the wire the hardware for PSDR, and use the software set up in Winrad and Rock to reverse the signals.

        Some of the SoftRock 'customised' versions of PSDR have had the 'swap I/Q' function added in the set ups.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "kenklein2004" <kenklein2004@...> wrote:

        > I've just finished building Tony's Ensemble TX/RX, and have found that when using PSDR-IQ, the receiver works properly when the I and Q signals are NOT reversed, but wired directly across the jumpers. However, it is stated many places that the I and Q signals SHOULD be reversed for PSDR-IQ. A friend has also (independently) built the Ensemble and found the same effect. I might add that the cables I'm using work properly on my SDR-1000. I must be missing something. Can anyone enlighten me?
        >
        > Many thanks and 73,
        >
        > Ken WR5H

      • kenklein2004
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2010
          Hi Bob;

          Thanks for the quick reply, and yes, you are right. I tried Rocky last night and found that it only works properly with L/R = Q/I, which, I assume, is backwards from the design. Looks like I might have swapped the inputs of T5 or something equally misguided. Many thanks and very 73,

          Ken